Miles covered per year (1 Viewer)

GetawayGerry

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Funster No
Hi all
I am new at this so will have loads of questions.

First one is that I am trying to calculate the costings involved with doing a runner! Plan to tour Europe for about 8 months a year. If you are a full timer what sort of mileage do you do a year?
Obviously I know this will vary wildly but it would give me an idea.
Thanks

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
just do it !!!!

How long is a piece of string ? What are your aims in life ? are you single, do you have animals in tow ?..... The aires in France are free or very cheap, the France passion site is worth a look, if you are in one place for any length of time then discounts kick in, you could get a job on a site over there doing cleaning or office work ! the prospects are endless !!! If, like me you are over 60 then if in Portugal and you use the Orbitur chain of campsites then you get a "wrinkly" discount as well....JUST DO IT, and learn as you go on !! once you have paid for your diesel or petrol to get down south then 5 miles from place to place is as good as 50 miles from place to place !!!! BTW, welcome to the fun !!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
G

GetawayGerry

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Funster No
Miles

I knew that I would get the "how long is a piece of string" bit. I understand that but in doing my budget you need to pay for the trip. I looked up the distance between London and Malaga and found it to be 1500 miles so there and back 3000 miles. well that is obviously too low. Is 12,000 miles a year to low? I really dont know. So I thought I would ask forum members how many miles they did per year to give me an idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's too difficult a question really, some full timers don't do any miles at all. some do more than 20,000. somewhere between those extremes is your answer::bigsmile:

Even when not travelling, you'd be surprised how many miles you will clock up with trips out and shopping etc

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We are full time and did about 6k in the last 12months.

UK - France- Spain- Portugal- Spain - France - UK

some full timers do less, some more, it is really up to where you want to go and how much time you want spent in the saddle rather than enjoying where you are.. many only go to the South of Spain for the winter and come back to the UK for the summer, as you say, 3k .. and if you are on a tight budget, moving costs more than staying put if you are on a free aire or cheap site.
The next 12 months we will do less as we are staying in one spot and working .. so the answers are meaningless, everyone does it differently.

OP
OP
G

GetawayGerry

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Funster No
So I thought budgeting for about 10-12000 miles PA would be about right but what made me question it was that a normal car user doing the usual commute would do that a year!

BTW I can understand how doing the short trips shopping etc will add up significantly!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
So I thought budgeting for about 10-12000 miles PA would be about right but what made me question it was that a normal car user doing the usual commute would do that a year!

BTW I can understand how doing the short trips shopping etc will add up significantly!

Fuel is probably the most flexible element of full time costs.. if your loaded you can do lots of miles or not as the case may be.. other costs are more or less fixed and can be budgeted for

a) site fees
b) insurance
c) maintenance
d) food
e) club fees
f) VED and MOT
g) internet and phone

What you have left goes on fuel, ferry fares, treats, eating out and entertainment etc ..

I would budget for £12 - £14k per year.. and that's not living the high life !

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
It's too difficult a question really, some full timers don't do any miles at all. some do more than 20,000. somewhere between those extremes is your answer::bigsmile:

Even when not travelling, you'd be surprised how many miles you will clock up with trips out and shopping etc

You go shopping in your A Class Jim?
How many tesco hight barriers you taken home with you?? :ROFLMAO:

Boo

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

We have fulltimed for the past 3 years. Mileage is about 5000 per year which includes 6 months out of the UK each year.

I keep a spreadsheet on all outgoings and last year we spent £14500.

Most fulltimers spend at least £12000 per year.

steve & ann. ----------- teensvan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back