Mileage for Insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by dotplus6, Apr 29, 2014.

1. dotplus6

dotplus6 Read Only Funster

Does the mileage make much of a difference to the price & what happens if you go over the mileage you've put down? How long is a piece of string? We did 5500 a year in our last MH but I've no idea what we'll do this time.

Dot

2. Phill D

Phill D

it does make a difference if youve stated miles when taking out a policy, effectively you have made a change to the original conditions,,,however, most insurance companies will change it Free of charge assuming you will only go over by a couple thousand miles. when ever i have this conversation with the insurance i always ask, and they have all said no probs to increase just tell us.

3. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

It does make a difference I cut mine from 10,000 year to 6000 and saved about £40.00. If you find you are going to go over you can just phone your insurance co and pay a bit extra.
    We have been all over Europe for 8-9 weeks a year and have never done more than 6000 miles.

spongy

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

obviously the less miles you do the lower the risk to the insurer......law of averages.

High mileage = more road hours = more time in which to have an accident.

Same as having a cat 1 alarm/immobiliser.....you greatly cut their risk of paying out for theft.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  5. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Mileage

I have got unlimited mileage didn't make a difference really think it was £100. The way I look at it it's my motorhome and I'll use it wen I want to use it not to be dictated by insurance company's. We bought our motorhome new in 2012 we have done 27000 miles in 2 yrs.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. WillH

WillH Funster

We have ours at 10,000, we have averaged 6,000 since new but one year did get near 8,000.

Rgds
    Bill

7. dotplus6

dotplus6 Read Only Funster

Thanks Guys - I'll settle for 6000 for now & up it if we do more.

Dot

8. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Bought ours new on 1 November last year. Just looked at speedo and it's showing 6083, no wait, 6084, no wait........
    So that's in just 6 months. No idea what our total will be by end of November this year, I'd better check the policy when we get home!

• Like Like x 2