Migrant hitching a lift (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
On Monday evening we overnighted at Oustriem port near Caen prior to taking the Tuesday early morning ferry. We were told we could move forward and overnight in the compound after the last ferry at 11 pm. Thinking we might be short on sleep we had a meal in the port then settled down for a couple of hours rest, me in the back, David on the side bench in the front with our lights off.
At about 10.15 pm I heard some noises, asked David if it was him, as he is a little deaf had to ask again, noises got a bit louder. David then asked me what I was doing. I jumped up put side door light on, put step out and stuck my head out of door. A coloured chap was half in half out of the side locker in front of the door. He immediately scarpered. He had forced the lock open with a screwdriver and had been re-arranging the few items in the locker presumably so he could get into the floor space. We were parked against a small hedge with the harbour side just over to the hedge.
We told the staff at the Port and warned other people around us. A member of staff on the ferry told us that they are increasingly having to take illegal immigrants back to France.

Think in future we will avoid having to park up near the Ports, we will just plan to arrive and leave as soon as we can. Suppose we should have known better / not parked by hedge/ had alarm flashing and left some lights on.

Just wanted to warn folk.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You had a lucky escape, must have been a bit scary to think if he had been quieter, you might have taken him all the way home! That's a good enough reason not to park up anywhere near the ports.
A few trips ago, we had a young lad hanging on under the van after stopping at the pet control centre at the tunnel, luckily, our dog sniffed him out and he got out from under the van and walked away.
We are due back on the tunnel tomorrow at 13:30, we are currently overnighting 70 miles away in Quend.

OP
OP
Granjan
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Hi @DavidG58 been a bit of a lazy blogger this trip and wifi really poor most of time, only managed to log on over last couple of days. Also worried I might bore you all to death having figured out most of you have already been there and done it all before!

I have a couple of tales to tell though so will put a few pics etc together as soon as I get chance. Just busy unloading and catching up with the kids / grandkids again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi @DavidG58 been a bit of a lazy blogger this trip and wifi really poor most of time, only managed to log on over last couple of days. Also worried I might bore you all to death having figured out most of you have already been there and done it all before!

I have a couple of tales to tell though so will put a few pics etc together as soon as I get chance. Just busy unloading and catching up with the kids / grandkids again

buy a Three sim?:)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
On the M2 London bound yesterday in very slow traffic, a Dutch Draw bar wagon and drag came up on our offside, as the trailer slowly passed there was a very loud banging from the trailer
the back doors had been forced and re-secured, Traffic was crawling for several miles, he turned onto the M26 and stopped after the Wrotham junction. By this time a welcoming committee
had been arranged for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back