MIFI (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Hi all, being a girlie.... I need to know - if I buy a mifi plus 2/3 data sims for our forthcoming spanish/portugues trip - will I need a contract as well - i.e. once I've paid for the wifi and the data sims are there any other costs involved? Sorry bit dopey about these things,,,,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you get PAYG data sims from Three there will be no further charges, there is no contract involved. Depending on your expected usage and time away have a look at the threads on here about the 12 Gb Three sim cards.
For the mifi get an unlocked one and if the budget will stretch to it get one with two connections for an external aerial if possible, even if you don't buy an aerial until later. They are not essential but improve reception in marginal areas.

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
If you have purchased the mifi unit outright then no, you need nothing else other than the SIM card to go inside the unit. You can of course have a contract if you wish but it certainly isn't necessary,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A
Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Brill.that's what I thought..but reading pc adviser..they kept mentioning contracts, so was getting a little confused.

Am currently reading your book John...excellent!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brill.that's what I thought..but reading pc adviser..they kept mentioning contracts, so was getting a little confused.

When in Spain/Portugal if the speed is poor buy a local SIM and get big improvements. I think we paid about 15 Euros for 3Gb of data.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
From 3 I just bought 12gb for £30 which I can use for up to a year. I have a TP-LINK which I bought in Spain and had a Vodaphone data chip. Although travelling around quite a lot, I never got good reception with Vodaphone and wasted my money.
The "3"salesman in the UK completely put my mind at rest about using the MiFi which will work overseas; excellent service.

OP
OP
A
Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Have ordered the mifi now from Amazon. Just need the sum now. We away for about 5 weeks so probably 12gb will be fine. Do you have to use them within a year?

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Have ordered the mifi now from Amazon. Just need the sum now. We away for about 5 weeks so probably 12gb will be fine. Do you have to use them within a year?

I think you will find the time starts from when you put it into the mifi. In Portugal I used the NOS data sim and it was one Euro a day for unlimited use even to watch TVs. Only in Portugal.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unless you are planning on doing a lot of surfing, video watching etc, then 12gb will be fine. The sim will 'time out' within 12 months if you don't use the data before then, all explained on my info sheet.

You don't need to activate them in the UK but as a first time user I'd suggest you do it a couple of days before you go on holiday so that if you have problems you can ask on the forum for help.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just a note of caution - 3 have been known to "cut-off" overseas use after about 2 months use abroad. Think that warning is in the thread quoted above but thought I'd remind you.

OP
OP
A
Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
OK - have just had a conversation with "3". They tell me I need a 20gb data sim for the MIFI and an All-in-One Sim for my phone, though I imagine they mean an unlocked phone, as I have a contract with Vodafone on my mobile. So £20 for each?

OP
OP
A
Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Wey Heh, my MIFI has arrived. I think I just need a data sim now for my laptop?

Just spoken to Vodafone and changed my deal with them and now have FREE roaming, unlimited mins and texts and 4gb data as I have in UK.

Am I now understanding things?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Wey Heh, my MIFI has arrived. I think I just need a data sim now for my laptop?

Just spoken to Vodafone and changed my deal with them and now have FREE roaming, unlimited mins and texts and 4gb data as I have in UK.

Am I now understanding things?
Did you get a 20GB. Data sim with that. Don't believe everything 3 tell you. ;)

OP
OP
A
Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
No Sim just the MIFI - still to buy the Sim now I THINK I understand what I need.... I'm doing it step by step with you guys help - what a great forum this is!! Haven't met any of you yet, but feel as though we have lots of friends and support. Fab!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That's about the best deal around at the moment, though I'm happy to be corrected. When you get it, just put it into the mifi and switch on. Make a note of the security number, probably inside the battery cover. Switch on whatever you're trying to connect to the web, might have to get it to search for signals. The mifi should come up as the strongest signal around, select it and when prompted input the security number. Assuming you've got a good 3 signal it might take a moment or several for the initial connection with 3.

Then Robert is your mothers brother!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back