LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi. Santa kindly brought me an Amazon 3 data sim, so all I need now is the unit and aerial ;)

Can anyone recommend me a make and model that will work with 3 sims and has good reception. I'll need an external aerial so it needs at least a socket for one if it doesn't come with one, in which case an aerial recommendadtion would be good too (y) Thanks.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
You may pay for the ability to tether already but a lot of people don't have phone contracts that allow that or only allow it in the UK. When you go abroad the only real provider to use is Three as they don't charge you extra if you're in a Feel at home country but you cannot tether regardless of what contract you have.
Thanks for explaining Mel. (y)

@davidathomas42. It's not everyone who has a smart phone, never mind a phone contract. The MiFi allows me to access the internet, without having to purchase either a smart phone, or sign up to a contract. With @Minxy Girl's help, I've not paid more than £30 for any MiFi. ;)
MiFi is just a fancy name for a dongle, which I have been using for years, since the Caravan Club introduced extortionate charges for WiFi.
With a Three 12Gb/12 month SIM card, I can access the internet almost anywhere in the world now, and because I am a low user, (only when touring in the MH), it is a very good deal for me

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
An advantage of using a Huawei-type device is that you can get tariff that allows you to download as much as you like, whenever you like. So mifi can allow ‘lumpy’ occasional consumption but a phone contract expects smoother use over the duration of its term.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I am going to go with one of these either stuck onto the side of the MoHo or mounted on a lightweight sectional pole. Anybody else use one of these antennas as the feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-antenna-omni-xpol-a0001.html

I think I have changed my mind on going down the route of having an external movable LTE aerial and instead I think I will go with Motorhome Wifi's router pack with the fixed aerial on the roof. I want permanent internet access in the MoHo and this option provides everything to accomplish this happening. I was thinking of fitting the router into the cupboard above the bed where the satellite control boxes are already fitted, there is space, a 12v feed and easy access to the roof.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/4g-roof-antenna-b315-router-pack-3/

I was thinking of mounting the router either below the satellite control box or onto the side of the cupboard but that will depend on what leads come with the router?

Then again I am down at Vanbitz in May for the Growler system maybe I can get them to fit it for me, for a fee of course.:whistle:

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back