Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I suggest getting a 4G mifi with an external aerial connection, that way you are 'future proofing' by having a 4G one, rather than just a 3G one, and also being able to connect an external aerial will mean you get a better signal especially in poor areas.

I'm a fan of Huawei MIFIs such as the E5776, E5372 (also known as the Vodaphone R215), E5573 (aka Vodaphone R217) as these all have external aerial connections and are fast.
Ahh must of missed this post when you posted it Mel.
So the aerial on a Mi-fi is used for picking up the signal then, was not sure if it was for receiving or transmitting.
K i will look and see if i an get one of them , i take it an unlocked version is the way to go , to keep my options open for the future

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ahh must of missed this post when you posted it Mel.
So the aerial on a Mi-fi is used for picking up the signal then, was not sure if it was for receiving or transmitting.
In reality it does both - you connect and receive the signal to download/browse and then 'transmit' to browse/upload on the web.
K i will look and see if i an get one of them , i take it an unlocked version is the way to go , to keep my options open for the future
Even if you get a locked one it's easy to unlock - 99p for the code off Ebay.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Minxy Girl Mel been looking at some aerials there , not sure if i am looking at the right thing
something like :
very expensive for an aerial......
plus do i need 2 different aerials ?? 1 for my MiFi and another for the Wifi ? or can you get one aerial like that one with two connections and 1 goes to the Wifi and the other to the MiFi ?
or i suppose the two aerials are totally different types ?

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I have just got my mifi sorted on the 3 network while in france, its a TPLink M7530 4GLite model, paid around £60 and even though its only picking up 3G where we are at the moment - near the pyrenees - its very fast, surprisingly fast to be honest, pages load in the blink of an eye.. Faster than my sky broadband at home.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
just realized something , with the 3g pre loaded sim and the wifi which i bought ( HUAWEI E5372 4G ) , will i be able to see how much data is left on the sim ?? and if so how ?? is it on the lcd screen ?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
just realized something , with the 3g pre loaded sim and the wifi which i bought ( HUAWEI E5372 4G ) , will i be able to see how much data is left on the sim ?? and if so how ?? is it on the lcd screen ?
Although your Huawei MIFI is different to mine, on the Huawei app you get how much has been used and therefore can tell how much of the 12 Gb are left.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The following externally mounted box offers both types of antennae. Have not seen a review of them but looks like a very neat solution.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Although your Huawei MIFI is different to mine, on the Huawei app you get how much has been used and therefore can tell how much of the 12 Gb are left.
i never knew about the app, ( i'm still waiting on my sim arriving anyways ) but do you get that app at the play store and is it called
"Huawei HiLink ( Mobile WiFi) " an app to manage your hi-link devices anytime anywhere

does that sound like the app ?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
i never knew about the app, ( i'm still waiting on my sim arriving anyways ) but do you get that app at the play store and is it called
"Huawei HiLink ( Mobile WiFi) " an app to manage your hi-link devices anytime anywhere

does that sound like the app ?
Yes, Yes and Yes (y):)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You will need to connect the device (phone or tablet) that has the app on it, to the Mifi device (use settings to change the wifi network) to be able to see the usage.

EDIT: Once you have your SIM of course.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
You will need to connect the device (phone or tablet) that has the app on it, to the Mifi device (use settings to change the wifi network) to be able to see the usage.

EDIT: Once you have your SIM of course.
hopefully that will be here tomorrow , as its been posted 4-5 days ago from jersey.......................................................................

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
image.png
The first time I opened the app with the Huawei connected it asked me to change password which I did. I thought that the new password would be the one to use when connecting a new phone or tablet to the Mifi. I tested it by trying to link my husbands iPad to it. However the wifi password still the one printed on the Huawei on the label behind the battery. You have to go into settings in the app and select device and change password there. This is what the app home screen looks like. My iPad is connected to home wifi at present but when connected to 3 in the Huawei, it gives info about usage in the centre. The "people" symbol at the top will show 1 when I am connected .

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
As other have said, yes, the Huawei app will show you, but for the figure that really matters, if you register the card with 3, you can log on to your account via the My3 web site & it tells you how much 3 say you have left.

Be warned though, that although it will tell you that as at 15:38 today you have nnnnMB left and appears very precise, in reality it lags a bit behind the real figure.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I suggest getting a 4G mifi with an external aerial connection, that way you are 'future proofing' by having a 4G one, rather than just a 3G one, and also being able to connect an external aerial will mean you get a better signal especially in poor areas.

I'm a fan of Huawei MIFIs such as the E5776, E5372 (also known as the Vodaphone R215), E5573 (aka Vodaphone R217) as these all have external aerial connections and are fast.

Thanks for the Info. Very helpful.
I've just purchased the 5577 with a Mimo antenna. I will also get one of the Three Mobile Broadband sim cards, for France, after reading your excellent article in the resources section.
cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back