klaus Knaus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Wondering which to go for as the best to use in Europe. We don't want to stream films or tv but do like to access the cloud to use music players. Otherwise just normal email and Facebook use to keep in touch with family and perhaps checking the weather to find the sun!
Interested to hear others' experiences - many thanks.
Brian

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have both, but on a trip to France last month put a 3 sim in Bev's iPad used that as a hot spot as a third option with great results

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Definitely both. Even with both there will be occasions when neither will have a signal. Stick your music on a cd or memory stick, no signal required.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
They are not the same thing! Mifi is your own dedicated wifi hotspot, iboost is used for boosting the signal strength of someone else's broadband so you can receive the signal. I have both and seldom if ever use the iboost, however if I was parked up on sites for weeks at a time I probably would use the iboost to get free wifi!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
MiFi generally although as dabhand says if you like a lot of campsites then maybe a boost as well. I would not buy an Iboost as it is too expensive for what it is. A Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 is exactly the same product and only costs £40

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Both. They aren't really comparable.

Remember a MiFi does not give you WiFi. It gives you mobile internet the same as you would have on your phone. The chances of getting better than 3G anywhere in Europe are pretty slim.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have rarely found a campsite that had sufficient bandwidth to stream a movie, either here in the UK or in Europe, so I would have to lean towards MiFi if that's what you want to use it for.
However, if you simply want internet access, then the iBoost is for you. Having both gives you the best of both worlds.
We have a very powerful 4g router with high gain aerials, that gave us excellent coverage all around Europe, apart from Luxembourg, although I should have anticipated that really. The only other place we have failed to get a signal is bizarrely Longleat.
A 4g internet connection is going to be massively faster than any campsite can offer on WiFi.
In conclusion, get both, have a collection of PAYG sim cards and an unlocked router. Then if you want to watch some Netflix, top up the relevant sim card and off you go. You can watch without the rest of the site wanting to kill you for using up all the bandwidth, or if you want to pick up emails, turn on iBoost and off you go. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back