Mifi help (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
So off to France next and we decided to pop in the 3 store to buy a mifi wireless modem to use with a 3 data sim ,
I ask the price " it's 49.99 including sim with 1 gig of data". Sounds good Do you have them in stock ? Yes we do. Ok. I understand that there is no extra charges for using it in France ? Yes that's correct Ok I then say that we are off next week and would like it for our motor home The reply is Oh sorry sir but you cannot use the data abroad until the sim has been active for at least 30 days. So it's no good to us
Does anyone know where I can buy an unlocked one and get a French sim ?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
you should be able to get the mifi u have unlocked on ebay

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
So off to France next and we decided to pop in the 3 store to buy a mifi wireless modem to use with a 3 data sim ,
I ask the price " it's 49.99 including sim with 1 gig of data". Sounds good Do you have them in stock ? Yes we do. Ok. I understand that there is no extra charges for using it in France ? Yes that's correct Ok I then say that we are off next week and would like it for our motor home The reply is Oh sorry sir but you cannot use the data abroad until the sim has been active for at least 30 days. So it's no good to us

thanks for the reminder i just bought a 30 day data sim off flea bay on 3 to use when away :doh:

best laid plans of mice and men...:crying:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Broken Link Removed

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have an old 3 sim that has been unlocked for 90 days, just needs a top up you are welcome to it if that helps

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The reply is Oh sorry sir but you cannot use the data abroad until the sim has been active for at least 30 days. So it's no good to us

I can tell you categorically that this is not true for PAYG customers.

The 30 days applies only to SIM ONLY PHONE CONTRACT customers.

The terms and conditions state:

To benefit from Feel At Home, SIM only phone customers must have been with Three for more than 30 days. Source: http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

We have sold over 100 PAYG Three SIM's - many of which have been used abroad from the very first day without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
This is copied direct from the Three website, note you have to convert the credit to Add-on whatever that may be, I don't know as I have a contract MIFI
* To benefit from Feel At Home, SIM only phone customers must have been with Three for more than 30 days.
If you're on Pay As You Go, all you need to do is convert your credit into an Add-on. You can then use the allowance in any Feel At Home destination.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As I understood if you are on PAYG the 30 days does not apply. I bought some PAYG sims for my ships' crew. They just topped them up and bought a data "Add On" (1 Gb, 3 Gb etc)

They were using them in France the following week, no problems.(y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
im confused! :doh: not difficult of late! :RollEyes:

so are these statements correct or not?

1. i have a sim only contract on my phone and have had it active for more than 30 days no probs... use as normal.

2. i have a mifi and buy a 3 data sim lasting 30 days it cannot be used outside UK as it expires the day before you are able to use it in France?

3. i buy a mifi sim ( on 3 ) for 90 days of data , i can use it in France after 30 days?

:doh::doh:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Your sim only IS contract. It needs 30 days before it can be used, so once 30 days have passed it's all go...

If you buy a PAYG sim it can be used straight away, just buy a "Data "Add On"...

Contract = 30 days wait, PAYG = use straight away.......(y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Your sim only IS contract. It needs 30 days before it can be used, so once 30 days have passed it's all go...

If you buy a PAYG sim it can be used straight away, just buy a "Data "Add On"...

Contract = 30 days wait, PAYG = use straight away.......(y)

got that but what if the PAYG sim is already a data sim:notworthy:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a contract phone.

The PAYG sims I bought for crew were normal sims you can use phone, text data etc.
I'm not sure about a data sim, maybe others can tell us.

However there is nothing to stop you from buying a normal PAYG sim then just buy a data add on for 30 days internet allowance then for sure you will be ok.

The All in One "15 Add-on" gives you 300 minutes, 3000 texts and all-you-can-eat data for £15. Then you will also have texts and calls when you are abroad in a country with"Feel at Home" :):)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
According to 3 website.

All of our customers will be able to take advantage of Feel At Home, whether you’re a PAYG customer, a contract customer, a Mobile Broadband customer or even a Business customer, as long as you have an allowance or an add-on allowance. If your plan doesn’t include text, minutes and/or data allowance, you’ll need to get an add-on to make sure you can take full advantage of the allowance while you’re away. And you won’t need to do anything to get it. You’ll just arrive in a Feel At Home country, wait for your phone to pick up any local network and away you go. You’ll be able to use your phone just as you did before and with no extra charges and no nasty surprises on your bill when you get home.

There’s nothing like carefree tweeting, calling and texting and that’s what we hope to have brought you with Feel At Home. So enjoy your holidays and don’t worry about your phone bill!

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4152,Case=obj(4148)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just read that on the 3 web pages also ; i have sent a question to 3 about PAYG data sims ( as i'm already a 3 phone contacted customer i can use that but you cant tether on feel at home as far as i can see )

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
I can tell you categorically that this is not true for PAYG customers.

The 30 days applies only to SIM ONLY PHONE CONTRACT customers.

The terms and conditions state:

We have sold over 100 PAYG Three SIM's - many of which have been used abroad from the very first day without any issues.

Hope this helps.
Can I get one and top it up please

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back