Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
We're planning a trip to Scotland late Oct....
And read about the Midge issues...

Anyway came across the Midge site and they do a forecast ... And Smartphone Apps...

Obviously I'm not sure how accurate it is......

Website...

http://midgeforecast.co.uk

Here's a screen shot of the iPhone app...

image.jpg

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Depending where you are going.eastern side never seen midges.west side midges if it's warm and still.I've been lucky enough never to have been troubled by then(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just got back from west coast only one bad evening rest of the time a nice breeze that the buggers couldn't cope with

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
That looks accurate to me in terms of the most popular midge haunts. They'll probably be gone by October and remember that not everyone is to their taste. Get some Smidge just in case. Enjoy!

Reactions: DBK

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On Ardmurchan peninsular now, warm and sunny with a light breeze - so no midges. But last night as the sun went down the breeze dropped and we were inundated. If you want to be by the waterside then that's what you get.

Avon Skin So Soft spray is a good deterrent but some folk react quite badly if bitten, ie Mrs L. She takes anti-histamine tablets which help her cope (get them from the Co-op, half the price for twice as many than a pharmacy).

Correction, she's just dashed back inside...........

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Looks like we shall be taking the midge tent with us to the outer Hebredise the end of the month then. That way we can sit out without being attacked. The hat nets are already in the van.
The last time we went in June. We never got one Midge ! Plus it was lovely and sunny . This time we may have a totally different experience . But I still can't wait to go.
Mosquitoes get me, and I react badly , usually. So I guess I'll be the same with Scottish midges?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
We were horribly attacked in June at invergarry, we sat smugly inside our van by the loch side watching the swarms of midges flying outside, totally unbeknown to us we didn't realise that our roof vents had passive ventilation and even firmly shut the little buggers could get in, they made mincemeat out of me and the missus:cry:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oh dear @ivorantony , I should have mentioned it was June 2014. I'll take plenty antihistamines with me. Just incase.

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Smidge is the best at the moment, until another is developed. Avon a waste of money unless you can get the original which they stopped making a number of years ago.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
The wife gets attacked by anything that bites, but thats all good cos they leave me alone. Well until she has no more to give.
So anyway she insists we only do west Scotland in Spring before the blasted things come out of whatever hibernation they have been in. April/may has always served us well. But it did snow while we were at Loch Ness shores...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back