Midges - Scotland - forecast

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Fletton, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Fletton

Fletton Funster

We're planning a trip to Scotland late Oct....
    And read about the Midge issues...

Anyway came across the Midge site and they do a forecast ... And Smartphone Apps...

Obviously I'm not sure how accurate it is......

Website...

http://midgeforecast.co.uk

Here's a screen shot of the iPhone app...

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Masman

Masman Funster

Depending where you are going.eastern side never seen midges.west side midges if it's warm and still.I've been lucky enough never to have been troubled by then(y)

3. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Just got back from west coast only one bad evening rest of the time a nice breeze that the buggers couldn't cope with

4. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Should be gone by late October.

5. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

That looks accurate to me in terms of the most popular midge haunts. They'll probably be gone by October and remember that not everyone is to their taste. Get some Smidge just in case. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. TerryL

TerryL Funster

On Ardmurchan peninsular now, warm and sunny with a light breeze - so no midges. But last night as the sun went down the breeze dropped and we were inundated. If you want to be by the waterside then that's what you get.

Avon Skin So Soft spray is a good deterrent but some folk react quite badly if bitten, ie Mrs L. She takes anti-histamine tablets which help her cope (get them from the Co-op, half the price for twice as many than a pharmacy).

Correction, she's just dashed back inside...........

7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Looks like we shall be taking the midge tent with us to the outer Hebredise the end of the month then. That way we can sit out without being attacked. The hat nets are already in the van.
    The last time we went in June. We never got one Midge ! Plus it was lovely and sunny . This time we may have a totally different experience . But I still can't wait to go.
    Mosquitoes get me, and I react badly , usually. So I guess I'll be the same with Scottish midges?

8. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

We were horribly attacked in June at invergarry, we sat smugly inside our van by the loch side watching the swarms of midges flying outside, totally unbeknown to us we didn't realise that our roof vents had passive ventilation and even firmly shut the little buggers could get in, they made mincemeat out of me and the missus:cry:

9. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Oh dear @ivorantony , I should have mentioned it was June 2014. I'll take plenty antihistamines with me. Just incase.

10. Cobweb

Cobweb

Has anyone tried Smidge ? Is it any good ?

11. Cinderz

Cinderz Funster

Smidge is the best at the moment, until another is developed. Avon a waste of money unless you can get the original which they stopped making a number of years ago.

12. Stagman

Stagman Funster

The wife gets attacked by anything that bites, but thats all good cos they leave me alone. Well until she has no more to give.
    So anyway she insists we only do west Scotland in Spring before the blasted things come out of whatever hibernation they have been in. April/may has always served us well. But it did snow while we were at Loch Ness shores...