Midge Worry (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Will a hat and attached net be sufficient against the dreaded MIDGES when we visit the highlands of bonny Scotland in early August?? or am i over reacting:Doh:
Trip starts in Edinburgh then up to the Orkney Islands and then driving down the west coast. Any advise would be good:thumb:

:thumb:ROB&JANE:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The only answer I have ever found works well is this..

As you get to the A69, turn around and head south !! Never once failed me ! :thumb:

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Just back from Glen Nevis , Fort William and there were loads of the blighters , looks like a bad year for the beasties .... Avon skin so soft helped keep them at bay ...... Just.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Did a tour of the highlands and islands a few years ago with a tent as we pulled into site on Sky it looked like a bee keepers convention with the gear people were wearing. Soon saw why as there were billions of the ravanous beasties at us as we put tent up the midges sprays helped a little but the zip up bedrooms were best after killing off the few that got in we were safe for the night except for a venture to the site wc where you couldnt see through the windows for them ! next morning just quickly threw the tent unfolded in the back of our pick up with rear cab windows open and drove away fast .You could see clouds of them blowing out of the back cab.

Dont be to put off though we only lost a couple of pints of blood ::bigsmile:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We live in Scotland and tend to choose to go North at less humid times of the year, however, we bought Smidge and found it pretty effective.
You are best away from inland water but by the sea can be quite good if it's breezy. Also, remember that anti histamines help the itch.
Have fun!

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Never had an issue in the Edinburgh area. Avon skin so soft is really good at keeping them at bay. :Smile:

Enjoy your visit.::bigsmile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Will a hat and attached net be sufficient against the dreaded MIDGES when we visit the highlands of bonny Scotland in early August?? or am i over reacting:Doh:
Trip starts in Edinburgh then up to the Orkney Islands and then driving down the west coast. Any advise would be good:thumb:

Try looking at the Scotish Midge Forecast Broken Link Removed

Brian

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
You shouldn't have a problem in Orkney the breezes keep them away, I'm told the island of Hoy can be bad, we are just back from 3 weeks on Orkney and experienced none!

Enjoy :thumb::thumb::thumb:

DavenJen

Free Member
Jun 9, 2012
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Midges

You will be fine in the Edinburgh but when you reach the wonderful countryside a good midge repellent is recommended. It shouldn't spoil you r trip though. Although not sold as a midge repellent, try Avon's "skin so soft" moisturiser - sounds odd, but it really works. Enjoy the trip.

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new

No, you're not over-reacting! The net will do fine but you can't wear it all the time you can also get net tops. Skin so soft does nothing for me I prefer SMIDGE, or life expeditions, unfortunately the latter melts nail varnish :Eeek:
We just got back from Arran, I only got 1 bite using smidge and that was on my eyelid where I prob didn't have any. We also use a mosquito coil on the table when we're sitting outside.
As someone else said, you'll not really have too much probs until you hit the west coast, but do come here coz it is beautiful and the other natives are quite friendly :winky:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
It's easy - visit the west coast in spring or autumn and spend the summer on the east side. Simples...:Smile:

Phil

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Dont worry skin so soft is the way to go we have toured Scotland all times of the year and had no problems We are touring the first 2 weeks July Remember that the conditions in the weather has to be perfect for the midges (Warm and not a breath of wind ) now when does that hapeen in Scotland just tour the west coast and you will keep coming back

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back