Midge situation in Scotland?!

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by KatyKate, Jun 17, 2012.

1. KatyKate

KatyKate Read Only Funster

Hi, I'm a newbie, just bought our motorhome a month ago and had our first trip this weekend to the Suffolk coast. We were planning a trip up to Scotland for the last 2 weeks in August but after my first real encounter with midges whilst staying in a cottage at Ullswater over the Jubilee weekend, its put me off a bit! We were wanting to head up the west coast to Ullapool, just wondered if anyone is up that way could you let me know what the midge situation is......?

2. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Can vary from day to day but it has been very dry for the last 2 weeks so not a problem at the moment, if it rains and stays warm it could be bad. However buy some Avon Skin so soft and apply liberally - it will do the trick. If you stay close to the sea that will reduce the risk considerably. Have a good trip and enjoy you holiday.
    Norman

3. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Midges

It was dry where we are today, but no wind, which is just what they like, as well as warm and damp. We were seeing my son and his fiance off around 7.30 tonight and the midges were biting, we had to get back inside before too long:Blush:

Shortly after this I was phoning a friend who lives near Fort William and mentioned the little blighters. She suggested "Smidge" a spray repellant that I hadn't heard of before, she said it was brilliant! It is dearer than the Avon product, but just another idea to try.

Amazon link below for it.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smidge-That-Midge-Insect-Repellent/dp/B00413715E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339972529&sr=8-1[/ame]

4. Viennese

Viennese Funster

5. zaskar

zaskar Funster

As people have said, it can vary greatly. Damp and calm brings them out big time, the slightest breeze and they cant fly.
    Here at C.C. Morvich, we're pretty lucky. The tent field can get a few, especially at the back near the trees and bushes, but the main 'van area is pretty good in comparison to a lot of other sites in the area.
    Without any shaddow of a doubt, Avon "Skin So Soft" is the best repellant I've come across........even if I do end up smelling like a ladies boudoir!:Laughing:

6. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

I was at Glen Nevis a few weeks ago and it was the worst I have seen it there for the little pests but I wouldn't let them put you off because it varies from place to place .

Never had a problem with them at Ullapool because of its coastal location .