Middle lane hoggers (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We call BMW's hedgehogs in our family cause of a joke I was told years ago whats the difference between a hedgehog and a BMW......on a hedgehog the pricks are on the outside:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
i was sat in traffic last week,when a soft top bmw pulled up alongside my drivers door,bald bloke and what looked like his mrs? sat with the the top down i shouted "you need to get rid of the car mate,it blown all your hair off":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
his mrs ? was laughing her head off,and he just give the v sign:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I like that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We call BMW's hedgehogs in our family cause of a joke I was told years ago whats the difference between a hedgehog and a BMW......on a hedgehog the pricks are on the outside:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When we are in our BMW we often think the opposite.

Especially en route to or from Southend:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I commend you on your set up skills::bigsmile:

Thank you Chris, I'm glad you realise it was a set up and I had to include BMW in the bait, I would appreciate it if you withdraw your comments on LFC supporters now:winky:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thank you Chris, I'm glad you realise it was a set up and I had to include BMW in the bait, I would appreciate it if you withdraw your comments on LFC supporters now:winky:

Withdrawn, with apologies::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
When we are in our BMW we often think the opposite.

Especially en route to or from Southend:winky:
The southend road A127 is the business for all those Essex boys in their BMs. Two lanes inside lane full me doing 70 on outside lane always dip my interior mirror to night mode. Saves looking at Mr angry BM on my boot. They have no idea why I'm Mr cool chatting unaware they are about to overtake on the central res.:roflmto:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I dont understand what your getting at..

If your driving in the middle lane how does that take up 2 lanes? explain!

As I Understand the way it should work >>>>

If I drive faster than you I drive in the middle lane. If your driving in the middle lane because someone is driving slower than you on the iunside lane and I come up behind you faster I will overtake you on the outside lane... is that not how it works??? In 1 of my posts I did admit to having an outdated highway code book. perhaps I am wrong.

Please advise....

That's frightening. :whatthe:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry if what I post here has already been said.

It's a long thread. I only have a limited amount of time left on this planet and I have some drying paint to keep an eye on...

If you are hogging the middle lane when there is nothing stopping you moving into the left hand lane it is really obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence that you are taking up TWO lanes.

You are preventing anyone faster than you from using the middle lane because you are blocking it and you are preventing anyone using the slow lane because to do so would mean undertaking you which is "illegal".

If that is too difficult for anyone to understand they need more lessons...

Get out of the middle lane and back into the left hand one as soon as you can or you are a BAD driver. Oh yes you are.

Of course some of us couldn't care about being bad drivers just as some of us don't mind being "bad" humans...

JJ :Cool:

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009

It's a long thread. I only have a limited amount of time left on this planet and I have some drying paint to keep an eye on...

If you are hogging the middle lane when there is nothing stopping you moving into the left hand lane it is really obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence that you are taking up TWO lanes.

You are preventing anyone faster than you from using the middle lane because you are blocking it and you are preventing anyone using the slow lane because to do so would mean undertaking you which is "illegal".

Get out of the middle lane and back into the left hand one as soon as you can or you are a BAD driver. Oh yes you are.

Of course some of us couldn't care about being bad drivers just as some of us don't mind being "bad" humans...

Thanks for the free tuition.

I would have thought you would only be in the middle lane because slower vehicles are in the inside lane. Not much intelligence needed to figure this out.
For your own safety if you are coming up behind a vehicle that is slower than yourself, common sense tells you to pull out to the outside lane to OVERTAKE, If its safe to do so. Who with a modicum of intelligence would consider using the inside lane?? there is no reason to interact with the vehicle in the middle lane.

Road hogs of course want everyone to move out of the way for them.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Wasting your breath and valuably time JJ some can never be educated.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

[HI]If you are hogging the middle lane when there is nothing stopping you moving into the left hand lane it is really obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence that you are taking up TWO lanes.
[/HI] You are preventing anyone faster than you from using the middle lane because you are blocking it and you are preventing anyone using the slow lane because to do so would mean undertaking you which is "illegal".

Interesting post JJ considering it is way after midnight. You must stop napping during the day, try and stay awake it will pay dividends at bedtime.

I agree wit your comments in principle but it is a bit short on detail.
1. Deserted motorway you being the only car for 20 miles in all directions. The inside lane is in a state. Lorry groves, pot holes, debris from some inconsiderate waste disposal tipper.
2. Remembering the recommended stopping distance at 70mph is aroung 100m. I am driving on a very busy M25, 4 lanes all doing 65/70 mph a gap of 3 car lengths appears to your left, moving into this lane could cause some brake lights and confusion, it will require me to reduce my speed by a few mph and for sure, you know that the 40 ton truck on your boot will increase his speed by two MPH and block you in the inner lane for the next 10 miles. The water spray thrown up by the lorry is now making it difficult to see the car in front. If I then consider this new environment and adjust my speed downwards it will wreak havoc on my wake.

Perhaps you could help me out. I drive on the busiest part of the M25 most days I would value your opinion. Should I stay or move.:thumb:

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am waiting for someone to justify hogging the middle on the basis that " it saves me having to pull out all the time to overtake":Doh:

JJ summed up things perfectly a few posts above:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Some people argue just for the sake of it...

Maybe being post number 100 wins a prize.

I did notice that, it is a first as far as I know. Far better than post number 13 they sometimes sit at twelve for days.

I disagree with your comment. I think that driving is not as black and white as you describe, driving on motorways can be affected by the conditions, situations and the bad attitude of other road users.:Eeek:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
In answer to the op - no I havent heard of any prosecutions yet - but not sure how I would.....
If I am in the car and someone is in the middle lane and the inside lane is clear I will pull out into the middle lane and then give them the Highway Code signal for "I am Here" and then move out into the third lane to overtake them. I will then move back swiftly across in front of them into the inside lane signalling my intention (checking that no silly driver is undertaking them of course) - and then continue my journey.

Having said that I have been guilty of the staying in the middle lane recently (but before it was made illegal, when it was just against the rules). Travelling back from the Tunnel on the M25 through the roadworks when the inside lane was the hard shoulder I stayed in the middle lane as the hard shoulder in my opinion was not fit to be driven on (drain holes and potholes).

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
In answer to the op - no I havent heard of any prosecutions yet - but not sure how I would.....
If I am in the car and someone is in the middle lane and the inside lane is clear I will pull out into the middle lane and then give them the Highway Code signal for "I am Here" and then move out into the third lane to overtake them. I will [HI]then move back swiftly across in front of them into the inside lane[/HI] signalling my intention (checking that no silly driver is undertaking them of course) - and then continue my journey.

Having said that I have been guilty of the staying in the middle lane recently (but before it was made illegal, when it was just against the rules). Travelling back from the Tunnel on the M25 through the roadworks when the inside lane was the hard shoulder I stayed in the middle lane as the hard shoulder in my opinion was not fit to be driven on (drain holes and potholes).
The purpose of this hazardous maneuver was?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
The OP was about middle lane hoggers not the wheres and why fors of being there and the legality of somebody coming up behind you and suggesting you get over to the inside lane. As has been said, some people have to continue the argument ad infinitum, where do you find the time? :Sad:

I'm off to the dentist, it will be less painful. :Smile:

Last edited:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Would not the purpose of this legislation be best served by making the offence 'Permitting a vehicle to overtake you on the nearside'. Give the offence about 8 penalty points.
I seem to remember that the old Highway code used to give circumstances where it was permissible to overtake on the inside and one of these was " Where traffic is travelling in lanes and the lane on your offside is moving slower than your lane" It covered circumstances like the approach to traffic lights with a filter arrow, road works ques and alike.
There is little doubt that if you add extra lanes to a motorway it is a waste of time and money if motorists continue to all pile over to the outside lane and lanes free of traffic on the inside cannot be used.
It just requires as in the States if you change lanes it is your responsibility to ensure that the lane you are moving into is clear and motorists in that lane are not impeded or inconvenienced by your actions.
As for trying to police the roads from your own vehicle it usually involves some quite dangerous manoeuver in order to convey the message. Many of the multiple motorway accidents have in the past been caused by middle lane hoggers who have braked hard to try to get a following car to drop back off their bumper as they see it. The next two or three veicles behind them usually manage to avoid running into each other but from the third one back the manure really hits the fan. The middle lane hogger carries on oblivious and puzzeld by the sudden lack of vehicles behind him or her.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Would not the purpose of this legislation be best served by making the offence 'Permitting a vehicle to overtake you on the nearside'. Give the offence about 8 penalty points.
I seem to remember that the old Highway code used to give circumstances where it was permissible to overtake on the inside and one of these was " Where traffic is travelling in lanes and the lane on your offside is moving slower than your lane" It covered circumstances like the approach to traffic lights with a filter arrow, road works ques and alike.
There is little doubt that if you add extra lanes to a motorway it is a waste of time and money if motorists continue to all pile over to the outside lane and lanes free of traffic on the inside cannot be used.
It just requires as in the States if you change lanes it is your responsibility to ensure that the lane you are moving into is clear and motorists in that lane are not impeded or inconvenienced by your actions.
As for trying to police the roads from your own vehicle it usually involves some quite dangerous manoeuver in order to convey the message. Many of the multiple motorway accidents have in the past been caused by middle lane hoggers who have braked hard to try to get a following car to drop back off their bumper as they see it. The next two or three veicles behind them usually manage to avoid running into each other but from the third one back the manure really hits the fan. The middle lane hogger carries on oblivious and puzzeld by the sudden lack of vehicles behind him or her.

As we used to say about my late father-in-laws driving, he's never had an accident, but he's seen loads in his mirrors. :Eeek:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
"It is said that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God.

Personally I would like to start the day with total dickheads to remind me I'm best."

Lord Blackadder. Series 2. "Money".

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back