Mid-Life Crisis...HELP!! (1 Viewer)

petrab

Free Member
Nov 11, 2009
Kent
Funster No
Hi all,

Let me introduce me and my husband, as we are new to m/h and this site....I am 40yrs and hubbie 35yrs, he has just lost his job for the second time in a year and we've had enough....:shout: We are planning a trip around Europe (full timing) for as long as we can stand!!!.....We have 2 properties to let (one being our home) so we think our finances should be okay, not rolling in it but able to survive....(Just need to get out of this rat race)...We are looking for any advice from experienced motorhomers...We don't even have the motorhome yet and are looking for a lhd for europe, good books etc etc.....Can anyone help us:Doh:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi all,

Let me introduce me and my husband, as we are new to m/h and this site....I am 40yrs and hubbie 35yrs, he has just lost his job for the second time in a year and we've had enough....:shout: We are planning a trip around Europe (full timing) for as long as we can stand!!!.....We have 2 properties to let (one being our home) so we think our finances should be okay, not rolling in it but able to survive....(Just need to get out of this rat race)...We are looking for any advice from experienced motorhomers...We don't even have the motorhome yet and are looking for a lhd for europe, good books etc etc.....Can anyone help us:Doh:

Welcome to the site. we are also planning a getaway too.

Ant & Debs

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
If you re going to travel around, don't forget to budget for fuel, it can be a lot more than you expect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Books

GOOGLE Vicarious Books and speak to them. I have ACSI card for discounts at sites across Europe, Caravan Club Europe books 1 & 2 and French Aires Thats all I need.
Remember some insurances only cover you for short periods so make sure you research this and get Continental breakdown cover. I use Safe Guard. Trawl thro the Continental Travel forum as there is a mountain of info there GOOD LUCK:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

welcome, there are lots of good posts on full timing, there is also a full timers forum .. take your time reading and weigh up the pros and cons.

It's not a long holiday nor living a dream, .. it's a lifestyle, which some find great, others not... there are many things to consider and it's a lot more difficult than many would have you believe.

* Plan your finances.
Sounds obvious, but you must have a sustainable income and sound financial plan..
Budget for an expenditure of at least ÂŁ12k - ÂŁ14k per annum.. and that's a minimum, no fancy meals out, extravagant living or expensive sites.

* If you change your mind, have a way back.. a 'get out of jail card'
Too many say , I'll cross that bridge when or if I come to it.. that may be too late.

We have just returned to bricks and mortar after three years 'on the road'. It was a great experience and we have no regrets but are happy to be back under slates, however, it was a lot harder 'getting back' than going away.

Good luck and ask plenty of questions..

jim

Last edited:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Ralph

Just read you web Fab and very interested. Like you, I do have the odd photo of me with a beer in my hand. I like to get one with a pint Guinness and so far have a few Fiji, Dhubai, Sydney, Dresden where the bar owner was from Newport I of W and knew a couple that we meet on site in Spain!! Small world or what!!:ROFLMAO:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Options

Hi Petrab, and welcome to the site.

Jim's post is sound advice, and his cost estimate spot on.

As an option, or in preperation for your grand tour, have you considered working for the Camping and Caravanning Club, or The Caravan Club, if only for a season. This would give you the chance to experience "the camping life" plus give you the oppertunity to view all types and layouts of motorhomes, which visit the site you are appointed to.

In addition, there are the shows to visit and give you another chance to look at possible suitable types and layouts.

Having two properties will give you a get out of jail card, you will however require a UK pernament address for correspondence, and registering your insurance etc, a family member is a good way to achieve this requirement.

When we looked for our first M/H we made a list of ten essential requirements, and compromised when we purchased, on two, I think. For example, fixed bed or make up each night and fold away each morning. Fixed dining table or fold away. Payload will need to be considered too, as we full timers tend to carry four seasons kit etc.

Check your driving licience, can you drive up to 7500kgs or are you restricted to 3500kgs? If the latter, you may have to consider a trailer, for the extra kit. When looking at potential M/Hs check their payload very carefully, some are not good on this point.

There is, in my opinion, no advantage in buying in europe, as the £ to € rate is so close, so search on the nett, for possible selections,and go and inspect. If possible, its a good idea to buy local, not far to go to get any niggles sorted out.

Have you considered secondary transport, scooter/cycles/ toad (tow car), we use a mix of public transport and our folding cycles, in europe. P/T is economic and very reliable.

Insurance, the C&CC as refered to above offer health insurance, either multi trip, or long stay, (others do as well), if you join the C&CC you can also, through them join RAC Arrival, with European cover, this cover is unrestricted on weight and size. Another organisation worth considering is ADAS, I've read good reviews on them but not joined them, as my RAC covers any vehicle I drive.

Insurance for your M/H, Several get good reviews, such as Comfort, Safe Guard, NFU Mutual, plus the clubs referred to above, but its worth shoping araund when the time is right.

As already stated, it is a way of life, and not a long holiday, we have been "on the road" since we retired almost five years ago.

There will be many question spring to your mind, just ask, ask and ask again.

Good luck with your research.

Nomadic:thumb:

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Hi Guys and welcome to the fun

good luck searching for your ideal van for the trip, I notice you want a LHD, Personnally don't think it makes much difference because the roads are so quiet, you will certainly be narrowing your option's down. some good vans here Link Removed

I think anyone who gets the chance to travel for several months should grab the chance with both hands and go for it

Graham n Kay

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Let me introduce me and my husband, as we are new to m/h and this site....I am 40yrs and hubbie 35yrs, he has just lost his job for the second time in a year and we've had enough....:shout: We are planning a trip around Europe (full timing) for as long as we can stand!!!.....We have 2 properties to let (one being our home) so we think our finances should be okay, not rolling in it but able to survive.....Can anyone help us:Doh:
Can't say I blame you.

Lots of people are feeling pretty peed off now with depression recession, incomes stretched to breaking point, along with utility costs spiralling into the stratosphere. That you have two properties makes you amongst the fortunate few.....assuming they are mortgage free?

You will find lots of advice on here, especially from those who have 'been there and done it' or in some cases still 'doing it'! There will be a mix of views, some good, some maybe not so good. But what suits one does not necessarily suit another.

As one person has already mentioned, it's not a long holiday, it's a 'lifestyle'. It's something which i've also been considering for some time now though as yet i'm keeping my options open on alternatives.

One thing for sure in your favour is your age. Most can only afford to realise their dream at a much later stage in life when free of the financial shackles such as mortgages, and possibly in a position to take early retirement.

winchman

Free Member
Jul 9, 2009
Funster No
A bit of inspiration
The build and travels of a Mercedes Unimog U1300L camper/expedition vehicle.
Now this is a low tech budget converted van but lookat the trip file
Mercedes Sprinter conversion - The Pampy Camper | Campervan Life
Now this is a fantastic camper but when you read about some of the trips think about his mate who did the same in an old K reg Mercedes van
The UK Unimog owner's meeting place.

My top reccomendations
List of contacts, credit cards spare cash all for emergencys, then if things go wrong its not the end of the world as you have a plan. Oh dont forget medical and theft insurance and some thing for bad bellys

thestoneroller

Free Member
Oct 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
newbee
Mid life crisis, your not old enough yet to have them:ROFLMAO:
But seriously lots of excellent advice from others.
All i can say being a newbee myself is find a motorhome that you are comfortable in and has everything that you think you might need because you will be spending alot of time in it, o and don't forget the corkscrew:Doh:
Happy travels

chris & jools::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,plastic tops and tetra brics rule .corks cause wine to go off sometimes it tastes awfull if corked .but add lemonade its still drinkable cant waste it. drink a few spirits first . if travelling abroad chedder cheese and brown sauce is a must start collecting it now. porridge oats hot or in meusly. corned beef ,dried fruit all things you will need . bacon mmmm. bes not fulltimeabroad unless you can get a supply delivered regulary .takes me 6 mnt to collect then 6 to eat my way through it. tin opener is usefull . dont burn your bridges and have fun . i find i need the balance of home n away. endless summer ,not this year, time to go.cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back