microwaves

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by robinmclaren, Dec 6, 2009.

1. robinmclaren

robinmclaren Read Only Funster

Am i the only person who refuses to use a microwave as am concerned about eating or drinking something that has had all its atoms blasted around in a attemt to cook it , i know the experts say its safe but they have done a turn around on views before now

cars were great and everyone should have one
    using petrol was fine
    gas heating was better than open fires and back boilers
    diesel was clean and safe compared to petol
    smoking was fine and promoted on tv
    drinking was fine and promoted on tv
    nuclear power was safe and clean
    the list is endless

which raises a endless list of is it ok to

dispose of nuclear waste in a chunk of concrete in the sea
    explode nuclear weapons to see what happens
    have a small nuclear leak ok
    burn great big holes through the ozone layer ( self healing apparently ) with rockets
    pump sewerage into the sea
    create and release chemical warfare weapons
    shift lots of weight from 1 side of the planet to other parts ( does this not affect its rotation )

these are just a few of the point bouncing around in my head as to why the planet is in such a mess and so many people are getting so ill and not just that we burn fossil fuels in our vehicles

sorry not after a debate just clearing my head of the things bouncing around

surely the only answers to power and heating should be clean sources ie solar, wind, wave/river/dam turbines , ground source heat pumps , maybe a combined solar/hot water panel , or is it to hard to generate a income from the use of these ????

:Doh:

2. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Yes.

The atoms aren't blasted around - you're thinking of Hiroshima Hotdogs or Nagasaki Nutroast (vegetarian option).

The atoms in your food are just given a little tickle in a microwave. They jiggle about a little faster, just like you get hotter when you jiggle about a little faster after being tickled.

That's the technical explanation, anyway.

3. robinmclaren

that answer does not restore any faith at all or a wish to use 1 for my food , microwave radiation springs to mind every time i look at 1 , how many people leak test theirs !!!

4. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Errr...

What does 'microwave radiation' mean to you? (A genuine question, not being flippant now).

'Microwave' means little wave.
    'Radiation' means leaving one place towards another.

My dad used to tell us not to sit in front of the TV because of 'radiation'.
    He was confusing the harmless non-ionising radiation from a TV screen with the potentially dangerous radioactive radiation of, say, an X-ray machine or a radioactive isotope.

Your microwave will not kill you.
    But all the ready meals will make you fat.

5. robinmclaren

who will garantee that it will not be proved in 10 years that they did cause problems !!!!

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

domestic microwave ovens have been around for the last 20 odd years that i know of.
    if there was a health problem i think it would have surfaced by now.

do mobile phones cause brain cancer ?
    they too have been around in various guises for long enough to find out.

in the very early days of motoring some people said you wouldnt be able breath over 50mph.....but i reckon you can :Doh:

7. N Luyetund

N Luyetund Deleted User

mmmmm interesting questions...

Iceland Chicken Bhuna circa 10 mins in mw, meanwhile fry off a couple of onion Parathas (frozen, of course) (I like to add a little water and cut up the cardboard chciken at the halfway stage

By the time you discover any side effects (apart form the usual :BigGrin:) you'll be a statistic anyway so why worry:thumb:

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

No idea if they are harmful or not .. Googling "are microwave ovens bad for you" throws up some compelling arguments for and against.. take your pick of what you want to believe ..

We have a microwave in the RV, (not at home), but yet to find a proper use for it, waste of space unless your into heating up frozen factory muck .. yukk

makes a great bread bin.. other than that... :RollEyes:

jim

9. WillH

WillH Funster

Domestic microwaves have been around since the late fifties, we have had one for almost 30 years, (we got it when our twins were born Dec. 1979). Never had a problem with them. As for safe methods of generating power, solar, wave, wind are not reliable enough for domestic use, for every gigawatt of wind/wave power you build you need to build the same in fossil or nuclear generating power for when the former doesn't work.

The current fashion for wind turbines is a subsidy scheme dreamed up by the powers that be, they are not economic unless subsidised by consumers.

Rgds
    Bill