Microwave....

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Another Lesley, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Another Lesley

Another Lesley Read Only Funster

:Confused: Sorry, me again with the questions. I am Confused.com.......... Can I or can't I use my domestic microwave in the motorhome. We appear to have a difference of opinion in our otherwise quite peaceable home and depending on the answer determines who cooks dinner. :Wink:

2. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

Yes and no is the answer .
    You can if you are on electric 10 amp and above hook up
    Cannot if you are not on electric hook up unless you have inverter which converts your van's dc current 12v to ac 220v current and a battery bank of at least 3 leisure batteries
    Looks like you need to share the cooking to night

3. golly

golly Funster

If you are on hook-up then should be ok so long as its not too powerful, ours is 700w and works fine . I wouldn't want to use it via an inverter unless I had a massive battery bank.

4. Another Lesley

Another Lesley Read Only Funster

Thank you very much for the info. I hate sharing the kitchen, so we flipped for it. I lost.:Sad:

5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

You probably can, but I would not recommend it. For convenience it needs to be secured in the van, and moving it from house to van and back each time is a complete pain. Get one exclusively for the van, which can be a lower wattage/smaller one. You can get them quite cheap from internet or supermarkets.
    We had one in the van but removed it as we preferred to use the space/weight for other things.
    If I was getting one, this is the one I would get. Probably the smallest, lowest powered one on the market.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daewoo-QT1-Compact-Microwave-Litre/dp/B003SX0SNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365448333&sr=8-1&keywords=compact+microwave+oven"]Daewoo QT1 Compact Microwave Oven, 14 Litre, 600 Watt, White: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame]

The low power is important because outside the UK some hookups are rated quite low.

6. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

your Engine alternator will put out enough AMPs to run a Microwave on an inverter so you may not need lots of batteries
    run engine before you turn on microwave and rev engine to 1500 RPM there should be enough power to keep battery charged through the cooking time

I know some who use a slow cooker on inverter when traveling

i have six 120AH batteries and a 220W solar panel
    with a 45AMP three channel marine charger
    1.5KV inverter runs any thing i need to run
    also it has a 5.5KV generator that runs all 110volt equipment
    great for weeks of wild camping

7. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Am I correct in my calcs
    A 700 watt microwave should draw less then 4 Amps
    It's been a long time since I did ohms law

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Afraid not. The 700w is the output. It will probably use about 1200 watts when running with a start up surge of around 1500w. There will be a plate on it somewhere to give the actual figures but probably a peak of around 6A on mains or 130-150A on 12v via inverter.

Oddly enough there is some sense in using a microwave on an inverter from your batteries even if you are on mains hook up if it is only a 4A one as often found in France. The microwave on the mains may trip the supply, while by using the inverter your batteries will be recharged more gradually by your charger and thus not trip the supply.

9. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

cruiser

i have been lucky i have found a 500 wat .have not used it yet.i will let you know if it blows the fuse.:Eeek: