Free Member
May 27, 2010
North wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2010
Hello all, having come to terms with chilly habitation quarters whilst driving/or spending vast amounts of dosh, what about microwaves, is it right if I just buy a 700watt microwave we can use this in our mh while on hook up. Right or wrong.

Thx Gail

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
combi micro

Hi
We live full time and I have 1000w combi oven which i use on hook up and on generator when off site. OK cannot help you if wild camping as we have genny.
Loads of knowledge and people to help on site.:thumb::thumb:
cheers
Jaen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ditto Brian's answer. Mine is built in over the hob ....... and whilst I was delighted I had one when I bought the van, I have only used it ONCE in two and half years, so wonder whether I would go for one if didn't have one already. There are better and healthier ways to save time when away in the van and cooking.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
now come on joy give us some of those quick recepies

mines built in and we use it either on hookup or with the genny, great for a quick and filling jacket potato and something or to heat something possibly prepared before traveling after a days driving once set up

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ours came with the van and I said Oh lovely but frankly, we are so rarely on hook-up ours also has only been used about twice! It is only little and isn't a combi which I have had at home for donkeys use and use it much more in fan oven mode than the 'big' oven (ie in the normal gas stove) and rarely actually as a microwave!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, if you are a microwave sort of person at home it may be the best thing you ever bought.::bigsmile: But I have never tried one in a motorhome, we have an oven and a slow cooker that does not need mains power and a BBQ and get along fine. :roflmto:

We try to stay away from anything that needs mains electric although we do have a generator, but when I had lorries lots of friends had microwaves in their trucks, and its a while ago now but seem to remember them say they got a lot of condensation from them, but things may have changed with modern ones.:winky:::bigsmile:

After all, we are not microwave type of people, and the one in our kitchen at home we have had 28 years.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Slightly off topic but have you decided a microwave is a necessity, although we have a dedicated cupboard for a microwave, I keep my towels tea towers etc in it and find anything I could do in a microwave I can do in my skillet which of course is also a oven, frying pan, 2 saucepans and with its defuse a excellent alternative to a microwave at a fraction of the weight or space, just a thought.

fossle60

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Pembrokeshire.
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
17 on and off
Excuse me for being nosy but isnt a skillet just a frying pan?

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Excuse me for being nosy but isnt a skillet just a frying pan?

I think Carol means the "double skillet" - two non-stick pans that you can link together to form a mini oven, use individually with the glass lid, or stack. In theory you can do roasts, frying, jacket potatoes, cakes, pizzas, etc. I won't lie and say I've attempted all those yet :Blush:

I've got one for my little van and it's great because I only have a hob and grill.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont forget, a 700w microwave is the cooking power.

the startup power may be half that rating again (1kw to 1.1kw) so if using a genny it will need to be bigger than a 1000w model.

fossle60

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Pembrokeshire.
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
17 on and off
Thanks I shall have to investigate further. If we're going to have hook-up we usually take along our little microwave; just the cheapest one argos has to offer. Handy for warming up the fish and chips when the o/h gets lost on his way back to the van. However it is heavy and cumbersome for a little van like ours so am always looking for alternatives.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
there is always the wavebox microwave.
ok so its small but it has the advantage of being able to run of 12v although you may need the engine running for the 12v not to kill your battery.

www.thewavebox.co.uk

still toying with the idea of getting one for myself.

andy:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We fulltime - part of the kit we wanted in our 5'er was a microwave - it is an 850w - used regularly - from making a quick cuppa - baked potatoes - heat a pasty etc - also you can prepare food ready and freeze or chill and finish it / cook it in the microwave - even makes good porridge for breakfast

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there is always the wavebox microwave.
ok so its small but it has the advantage of being able to run of 12v although you may need the engine running for the 12v not to kill your battery.

www.thewavebox.co.uk

still toying with the idea of getting one for myself.

andy:thumb:

from what i remember, reading the box at a show, they draw around 70 amps :Eeek:

just read the blurb in ABA's link and its 55amps...still a flat battery before yer baked tatties done.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We have a cheap Argos 800w one which we use regularly on hook up - very successfully too!
Great for "Oat-so-simple" in the morning and de-frosting because I've forgotten to take stuff out of the freezer!:roflmto:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When we got the new van the first thing I did was put a socket in a cupboard and fit the microwave in..

18 months on and we had used the thing once !

Took it out and stashed it.. Now use the cupboard for more important stuff ( grub and beer ! )

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pastry reheated in microwave is gross and floppy and it sends it tough, same as it does bread, Jacket spuds yes they are quick but you must have a combi because otherwise no crispy skin which is positively the only reason to have a jacket spud in the first place and wallpaper paste (some call it porridge, but whatever it is it's truly yuk) for brekky? No No No!

OTOH they are good for warming a bowlful of milk for my Weetabix, because they are nice mushed up and warm but horrid cold ..... but equally as quick to heat it in a pan on the gas, ie less than a minute.

Dame Pitstop, if you forget to get anything out of the freezer, then regrettably you have to eat out. Such a drag, that ........

:ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We had a built in microwave in the last caravan we had. It got used as a bread bin :ROFLMAO: We hardly ever use hook up.
Ralph takes a cheapy one with him if ever he uses the MH to stay in when working away. I make him stews , soups etc and freeze them. Then at least hes not just eating junk everyday. :smalllove:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We had a built in microwave in the last caravan we had. It got used as a bread bin

SNAP... :thumb:

they are just a waste of space and payload..

so, removed it and installed a small Bush electric grill/oven.. far more useful than a microwave ..

Link Removed

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I fulltimed for a couple of years on HU.. The van came with a (dual) grill/microwave combi (Panasonic) did amazing jacket spuds amongst other things.

Wattage on Grill/Microwave was around 1500W (about 6 amps) but was probably the most useful thing I had on the van.. A tri-combi would be even better but may... take more juice (Grill/ Mwave / fan Oven)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
RV's do it bigger

Our fitted in microwave combi cooker is a massive 1700 watts.. it runs OK on mains hook up as long as it is 16 amps and off our 4 kw genny... Only the yanks put such big ones in as standard.. more power than the one in doors and I thought 900 watts was big enough.

I have to keep reminding Sue they she will blow the hook up in Europe as most sites are under 16 amps.

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back