Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello,low wattage microwaves are usual for motorhomes we have a 700 watt one and that is quite good ,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The one in our SWIFT had square wheels after a couple of outings. The Dealer said we had parked on a slope and therefore it was not covered by guarantee. Most Microwaves are 240v you could run one from an inverter but you would need a big battery. It's easier just to manage without. We do.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I depends on where and how you are going to use it...
If your always on hook up on a good site with plenty of amps then fine.. Cheap and cheerful will do the job..

The most important thing to know about a microwave is that it can draw up to twice its cooking power when it starts up.
So a 700w oven could draw 1400 watts for a short time. A little over 6 amps.. If your on a 16amp EHU onsite then not an issue. If your on a site with limited supply ie 6 amps, you could be borderline and trip the supply,.
"CAMPING" mircowaves at 500w are available BUT you pay a fortune for them.. Best option if in any doubt just turn the 700w oven down to a lower setting.. :)

As for using them off an Inverter and battery thats a whole other thread... Possible if you really wanted / needed to..

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a LOGIK 800 watt from Curry's, works off 2000 watt inverter no problem, the inverter will start up and run this and the 1200 watt coffee machine but trip after 30 seconds, so one at a time is OK, I only try to do this when I forget to switch the coffee machine off when it goes in the cupboard and then it's on when it comes out and gets plugged in.

Martin

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I depends on where and how you are going to use it...
If your always on hook up on a good site with plenty of amps then fine.. Cheap and cheerful will do the job..

The most important thing to know about a microwave is that it can draw up to twice its cooking power when it starts up.
So a 700w oven could draw 1400 watts for a short time. A little over 6 amps.. If your on a 16amp EHU onsite then not an issue. If your on a site with limited supply ie 6 amps, you could be borderline and trip the supply,.
"CAMPING" mircowaves at 500w are available BUT you pay a fortune for them.. Best option if in any doubt just turn the 700w oven down to a lower setting.. :)

As for using them off an Inverter and battery thats a whole other thread... Possible if you really wanted / needed to..

Best bet is a cheap one from tesco/asda etc. 700w is ok on a good hookup though we also run ours from an inverter, but note turning a microwave to a lower power setting does not reduce the current drawn, it just cycles on and off and so will have more surges.
Some say running a microwave on an inverter is not practical but as most things we do in a microwave take less than 5 minutes we are only talking around 20amp hours max at a time and solar can soon make that up if the sun shines.

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Most caravan and camping centres have low wattage simple microwaves for sale. Suggest you wander around a few and find one to suit. While it is easy to say do without so many things are microwave only

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
When you install it make sure, if possible, that the on/ off switch is easily accessible. Either that or buy one that does not have a permanent LED display.

The first van we had with a microwave had a display so bright you could read by it and the only way to turn it off was to remove everything from the locker under the cooker to get to the plug right at the back. It was easier to put a cover over the front at night.

Upvote 0

BravoTwoZero

Free Member
Feb 20, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,

Our 2015 mh came with a 800w Daewoo microwave which works very well. Only used it on 16 amp EHU though.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Had one fitted to my van ,only used it to warm the odd thing up ..after a year took it out,space used much better for storage..wouldn't bother again...

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
We' ve used our 8OO W Daewoo on 6 amp EHU all winter with no problems at all. I use it to steam veg, make sauces, bake potatoes, cook rice, and many other operations that I would do at home on the stove. If you want to avoid lots of dirty pans then cooking in a microwave is the way to go.
If you have a poor memory then a luggage label on the door reminding you to switch off electric kettle, heating etc before you use the microwave is handy. Works with the Remoska on.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have a Samsung 650w one fitted to ours (Swift standard fitting I think). It will run perfectly off of the inverter, but wouldn't want to try it for too long, it draws 1200w when running, best my maths can do, that's over 100 amps on 12v.
Funny thing is, the only time we've used it, is once when we were on a site, and our neighbours needed to heat a baby bottle. The only other times are as a backup to the one at home when we are doing lots of microwave meals. Definitely a nice to have item, but not essential.

Upvote 0

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I took ours out of our Bolero as it was right at the back of the van (end kitchen), and too high to be safe, I converted it back to a storage cupboard with sliding doors, and now have a spare mains socket if required, we do not miss it.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My version: if you need a quick & fuss-free meal ......................... go to the pub.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just like @Eeyore, love my microwave, use it a lot more than the oven, it is in a locker above hob. Great for steaming veg, I buy steam bags saves lots of time, clutter and mess. We usually take microwave pop corn on holiday too, nice to hand out to neighbouring kids, always ask the parents first. Lovely to see there little faces. Last year the German kids opposite came over, I thought they wanted some more popcorn, no they said can we try what you are cooking!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back