Microwave

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by BusyBuilder, Feb 26, 2016.

1. BusyBuilder

BusyBuilder Funster

Is there a suitable microwave for a motorhome, or will any do ?

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

:)
    41IsPVvdWYL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hello,low wattage microwaves are usual for motorhomes we have a 700 watt one and that is quite good ,

4. QFour

QFour Read Only Funster

The one in our SWIFT had square wheels after a couple of outings. The Dealer said we had parked on a slope and therefore it was not covered by guarantee. Most Microwaves are 240v you could run one from an inverter but you would need a big battery. It's easier just to manage without. We do.

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I depends on where and how you are going to use it...
    If your always on hook up on a good site with plenty of amps then fine.. Cheap and cheerful will do the job..

The most important thing to know about a microwave is that it can draw up to twice its cooking power when it starts up.
    So a 700w oven could draw 1400 watts for a short time. A little over 6 amps.. If your on a 16amp EHU onsite then not an issue. If your on a site with limited supply ie 6 amps, you could be borderline and trip the supply,.
    "CAMPING" mircowaves at 500w are available BUT you pay a fortune for them.. Best option if in any doubt just turn the 700w oven down to a lower setting.. :)

As for using them off an Inverter and battery thats a whole other thread... Possible if you really wanted / needed to..

• Like Like x 1
  6. BusyBuilder

BusyBuilder Funster

Okay will do without, thanks (y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. QFour

QFour Read Only Funster

Good Choice .. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We have a LOGIK 800 watt from Curry's, works off 2000 watt inverter no problem, the inverter will start up and run this and the 1200 watt coffee machine but trip after 30 seconds, so one at a time is OK, I only try to do this when I forget to switch the coffee machine off when it goes in the cupboard and then it's on when it comes out and gets plugged in.

Martin

9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Best bet is a cheap one from tesco/asda etc. 700w is ok on a good hookup though we also run ours from an inverter, but note turning a microwave to a lower power setting does not reduce the current drawn, it just cycles on and off and so will have more surges.
    Some say running a microwave on an inverter is not practical but as most things we do in a microwave take less than 5 minutes we are only talking around 20amp hours max at a time and solar can soon make that up if the sun shines.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Most caravan and camping centres have low wattage simple microwaves for sale. Suggest you wander around a few and find one to suit. While it is easy to say do without so many things are microwave only

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

When you install it make sure, if possible, that the on/ off switch is easily accessible. Either that or buy one that does not have a permanent LED display.

The first van we had with a microwave had a display so bright you could read by it and the only way to turn it off was to remove everything from the locker under the cooker to get to the plug right at the back. It was easier to put a cover over the front at night.

12. BravoTwoZero

BravoTwoZero Funster

Hi,

Our 2015 mh came with a 800w Daewoo microwave which works very well. Only used it on 16 amp EHU though.

13. BravoTwoZero

BravoTwoZero Funster

Oh, and you can switch off the display too

14. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Had one fitted to my van ,only used it to warm the odd thing up ..after a year took it out,space used much better for storage..wouldn't bother again...

15. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

... like softening the butter.

16. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I cut my autocruise up to fit one
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  17. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Been MH'ing for a number of years now and never seen the need for one, plus you need a good elec supply!

18. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

We' ve used our 8OO W Daewoo on 6 amp EHU all winter with no problems at all. I use it to steam veg, make sauces, bake potatoes, cook rice, and many other operations that I would do at home on the stove. If you want to avoid lots of dirty pans then cooking in a microwave is the way to go.
    If you have a poor memory then a luggage label on the door reminding you to switch off electric kettle, heating etc before you use the microwave is handy. Works with the Remoska on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We have a Samsung 650w one fitted to ours (Swift standard fitting I think). It will run perfectly off of the inverter, but wouldn't want to try it for too long, it draws 1200w when running, best my maths can do, that's over 100 amps on 12v.
    Funny thing is, the only time we've used it, is once when we were on a site, and our neighbours needed to heat a baby bottle. The only other times are as a backup to the one at home when we are doing lots of microwave meals. Definitely a nice to have item, but not essential.

20. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I took ours out of our Bolero as it was right at the back of the van (end kitchen), and too high to be safe, I converted it back to a storage cupboard with sliding doors, and now have a spare mains socket if required, we do not miss it.