Microswitched tap fault...simple diagnosis (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bored so posting this for something to do :Doh:

If you have a tap which doesn't let water out try this simple test....

Open the offending tap.

turn on any other tap.

does water flow from the faulty tap ?

YES.....you probably have a faulty micro switch but check the wiring from it before buying a new one.

locate and remove the two wires from the faulty tap and join together....if water flows you have a faulty switch...if not, the wiring from that specific tap is suspect.

NO...you have a fault in the wiring to the pump or the pump/fuse is faulty.

micro-switches aren't expensive but this could save time changing it only to find it still wont work and its the pump/fuse/wiring.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Bored so posting this for something to do :Doh:

If you have a tap which doesn't let water out try this simple test....

Open the offending tap.

turn on any other tap.

does water flow from the faulty tap ?

YES.....you probably have a faulty micro switch but check the wiring from it before buying a new one.

locate and remove the two wires from the faulty tap and join together....if water flows you have a faulty switch...if not, the wiring from that specific tap is suspect.

NO...you have a fault in the wiring to the pump or the pump/fuse is faulty.

micro-switches aren't expensive but this could save time changing it only to find it still wont work and its the pump/fuse/wiring.

I have a tap that does not work unless I switch on another tap, but once primed it will work ok providing you give it a few moments to work.
Any suggestions.

Norman

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have a tap that does not work unless I switch on another tap, but once primed it will work ok providing you give it a few moments to work.
Any suggestions.

Norman

the switch is sticking in and the return spring is lazy. Sometimes a squirt of wd40 on the microswitch will sort it, however with most taps these days, its so hard to get at that you may as well change it anyway. Dependant on type switches vary from £3 up to about £8. so long as you can get access to the switch, changing it is pretty straight forward

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the switch is sticking in and the return spring is lazy. Sometimes a squirt of wd40 on the microswitch will sort it, however with most taps these days, its so hard to get at that you may as well change it anyway. Dependant on type switches vary from £3 up to about £8. so long as you can get access to the switch, changing it is pretty straight forward
Thank you...saved me typing :winky::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... and if you have a tap where the flow iis gradually getting slower and slower (eg cold) but the other is fine (ie hot) don't assume it's a faulty tap or microswitch ... when we had ours sorted under warranty the chap ordered a new tap as he thought that was the problem, however, when he came to change it and removed the coupling, he found grit had gathered in the filter and was gradually blocking it ... he cleaned it out and it worked perfectly again!:RollEyes: However, as he'd already ordered a new tap we got it anyway so now have a spare.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back