Microsoft to discontinue Autoroute on 31st December 2014 (1 Viewer)

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In a little under 10 days from now, you will no longer be able to buy or download Microsoft Autoroute as it has been discontinued. If you've never used it, this probably won't be any great loss, but for me it feels like the end of an era. [EDIT] I should say at this point if you already have it installed, it will continue to function, just that no new versions will be released.

You've probably seen me posting links to our POI file containing all of the various camping databases for use with Autoroute. If you downloaded or used it - I'd be grateful if you would complete the poll at the bottom of the blog post as to if you are to continue using it.

http://www.europebycamper.com/2014/12/farewell-to-microsoft-autoroute.html

Do you use Autoroute? Have you found an alternative? We use Garmin nRoute with OpenMaps for offline mapping on our laptop - so would be interested to know what apps you use to combine multiple data sets in one place.

Adam

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Shame I've used it for donkeys years and like it although the last downloaded version was full of problems.Just checked Garmin N Route thats discontinued as well.

OP
OP
Addie

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Shame I've used it for donkeys years and like it although the last downloaded version was full of problems.Just checked Garmin N Route thats discontinued as well.

The difference with nRoute is nRoute is just a navigation 'engine'.

You can download up-to-the-minute map data from Open Maps to use with it.
More info on that here: http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/02/morocco-laptop-gps-garmin-nroute.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ah sad.

But if online Google Maps wins hands down.

Offline Maps.Me does the job on a tablet.

It's big plus was the distance measuring. You could throw up a 300m circle and say "where next in there".

You'd have thought they'd go the maps way and offered FOC just to keep their name on screen.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi. I have used various versions of Autoroute for a number of years and find it quite useful for planning. I have your POI's loaded, and several others such as the Caravan Club one's, all of which are a great help. It's a shame it is being discontinued, these large organisations seem to think everything should be done on line which is a pain when internet is not available or is costly due to roaming.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Microsoft have for ages been trying to get everybody to work on-line - anybody tried to use Windows RT ? I've got a tablet that's for all intents and purposes useless. That said with the sophistication of satnavs and proliferation of tablet apps, MS have probably found there has been a sharp reduction in the numbers of people buying it, and it's probably no longer economical to revise/update, which must be quite expensive.
I've used Autoroute since it came out, love it and will miss new versions. I'll still continue to use it for planning, even though even the last version is way out of date, and rely a bit more on satnav for en-route monitoring.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
The Apps "TomTom" on I-pad linked with "Campercontact" on the same I-Pad. They work seamlessly together and will do so OFFLINE...
Mitch.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I use Garmin BaseCamp for trip planning on laptop \ desktop and then transfer trip to Garmin Sat Nav. Maps are updated every quarter on both Sat Nav and PCs.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I only use autoroute to find out how far apart places are for rough planning and so the fact that my version is already five years out of date doesn't really matter. I don't plan routes ahead as i prefer to be surprised, hopefully pleasantly.

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
Autoroute used it for the past 10 + years

R.I.P R.I.P . what am I gonna do now, I liked the gps cordinates it gave on every location

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I have found Maps.me. An app that gives you the ability to load POI sets onto a map that is good and has many of it's own POI's
It's only limitation I have found is the limited different icons available, if they let you import your own it could take the place of AR for planning purposes quite easily.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Damned shame but I have always been years behind their latest offerings any way..
No matter how old ( unless there is a nuclear holocaust or something that changes the world ) the destinations remain the same and the distances close enough to be meaningful :xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back