Micro switch HELP

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by FJmike, Mar 10, 2016.

1. FJmike

FJmike Funster

I replaced the LNB on my Camos dome today, on trying it out with the cover off I noticed that the micro switch on the bottom was missing it's arm, resulting in the dish sticking down. The micro switch has a number SS-5GL, looking this up on the net there was only three pin switches, as mine only had two. This puzzled me so I had a closer look at my switch the side next to the first terminal is embossed C, the next terminal has NO, then at the end although there is no terminal it is embossed NC. There is no sign of a terminal being broken off. My question is would it be OK to order and fit a three pin SS-5GL and not use the third terminal or blank it off somehow

2. The Wino

The Wino Funster

put a meter across it and the new one I would have thought its a simple make or break find the 2 terminals on the new one that operate in the same sense should be fine

• Like Like x 1
  3. FJmike

FJmike Funster

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

c=common
    no=normally open
    nc=normally closed

you will only need to use c and no

• Like Like x 1
  5. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Thanks Tb1 that's the sort of info I was after, even if I don't understand it. Would the NC be live?, by its name I wouldn't expect it to be.

6. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

Same thing, C is Common terminal NO is normally open and NC normally closed contacts. As long you use the correct pair you can ignore/tape insulate the other one. As the Wino said you can allways check it with a meter foe peace of mind.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the live is wired to the common if you want the nc to be live. otherwise put it to the no and the common will only be live when the switch opperates

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Wino

The Wino Funster

I don't have a satellite dish!!! but would have thought if its a 12v supply it doesn't matter which is positive or negative but best to put them on as they come off just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

If you connect the supply to the C and the remaining (switched) wire to the NO, then when you depress the lever on top of the switch, it will make a circuit (switch on the appliance)
    If you connect the supply to the C and the other wire to the NC, then the appliance will be immediately powered up, but will switch off when the switch lever is depressed.

10. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Like this:

Drawing1.jpg

11. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Big thank you to all who replied, it helped me out big time. Microswitch arrived yesterday so got my ladder out, soldered the wires to the correct terminals, blanked off the terminal that wasn't needed and turning the satellite on the switch did it's job.

• Like Like x 3