Mickey and Friends ... help required on stowaways. (1 Viewer)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Mickey and possibly friends gained access to our Bessacarr 425 in November. There was loads of evidence with a chewed through water pipe, a nest in the fridge and a packet food scattered everywhere as well as dropping. Our local dealer went all over it but could find no access point or traces of Mickey. The pipe repaired, we put various deterrents in place as well as plugging a gap into one of the underseat areas.

We've had zero evidence of mice now in the body of the van since, but while away over New Year we could hear the little blighter(s) in the ceiling above the lockers (In the middle of the night of course!) , and also running across inside the plastic strip that covers the join between the cab top and the over-cab area.

We've written to Swift almost two weeks ago but have had nothing in response. :)

The dealer still can't see anything but they say the price will rise massively if they start dismantling the van.

So can any of the geniuses here help with advice on the following please:
  1. Does anyone know how the dome section where the ceiling rises towards the overcab bed is fitted please? I can see three screws at the front, but can't see what is holding the rear end with lights and speakers up. Are there screws under the plastic strip between the speakers? If so, how does it remove without breaking it.
  2. Also, the shaped grey plastic piece about 4 inches wide and runs round the under bed storage tray and effectively links the overcab to the main cab. It seems as though it might be glued in place. Does anyone know how this is removed without breaking it please?
Any other helpful advice gratefully received.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Ours got in where I had put in an extra arial cable just above the axle, they do not need much of a hole other favourite is climb the tyres into engine bay and through beside the foot pedals

Sorry can't help with your construction but when I had a similar problem we found a nest in the void under the toilet cassette ( it was a ace Milano made by swift)
Dealer took the cassette out and left the outside hatch open for a few days (so they could get out) then sealed all pipe voids with silicon, seemingly there are loads of pipe and wire voids that run all over the van hence reason they can move about unseen ( just incase still inside) never heard them after that
Biggest concern is that if they can't get food to eat they will eat the wiring !!!
I believe you can buy ( mice food) which swells up and makes them go look for water ( mice seeming do not drink very much)
Hope you get it sorted out soon

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
aaagh.. another mice thread which is scarey. How awful, to hear them running around at night... can't begin to imagine how you felt. I have been up today and put some parafin in a container with a rag wick coming out of it... someone has told me that will keep them away. I have put it near the foot pedals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Surely the thing to do is bait traps. It worked when we unknowingly brought some back from France in our caravan. They love peanut butter!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tried traps baited with peanut butter, tried chocolate, tried good old fashioned cheese.

Bought a pack of 10 glue mats....no more mice, rats or squirrel's.

They may be in confined spaces but they will venture out looking for food.

Badgerxos

Free Member
Jan 17, 2015
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Rapido 646B Low Profile
Exp
Since 2013
If you have access to EHU, you can use an electronic repeller - Broken Link Removed

Just bought one for our thatched house and seems to do the job. Even if you can't keep the van on EHU long term, you can at least get rid of them in the short term.

Badger

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Here's how they get into my MH - up through the engine bay and down on the passenger side of the cab by chewing through the insulation:

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
@magicsurfbus . Does this mean they are coming down behind the glove compartment?
@Badgerxos that's very different to the ultarsonic ones we've had in for a week. Just ordered one thanks.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Oh, no! not another gassing thread!!!!!!!
Sorry for that, we put traps down with peanut butter, caught 13 of the buggers.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back