Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all,

I have already bought All the Aires, and France Passion etc, as well as 'The Back Roads of France' and many many other books on France, but am thinking about buying the Michelin Green Guide to France and matching it with the Michelin atlas. Do any of you have any thoughts on whether this is the best guide book to buy? We are not newcomers to France, but in the past have based our visits around caravan sites and travelling to different areas of interest in the car. We are happy to visit different places in the motorhome, but want to know which is the best guide to buy.

We have previously bought the Lonely Planet and Rough Guide books, and have found them really good, but am wondering whether Michelin is as good if not better.

Last question - if you do recommend the Michelin Green Guides, would you buy the Whole of France Guide or the regional editions, we wouldn't know which regional editions we needed as we are not sure of where we are going after we leave Britanny!

Any suggestions as usual, gratefully received.

Geraldine

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Why did nobody reply to this ?
This Michelin Green Guide has just been mentioned in another thread and to be honest have never heard of it.
Did a search and found this and thought i had found some golddust with tabs open on ebay, amazon prime, regions of france and of course this one.
cliffandger you have written down everything i wanted to know...................just 7 years earlier.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Better late than never I guess. :). I've just bought a handful of Green Guides off eBay as recommended on here. Less than £2 each. They are good but there is a huge amount of detail in them and consequently they are not light reading. I haven't found an easy way, using the guide only, to locate on a map where the places they list are. However, typing the name into Google Maps solves this problem.

For easy to use guides I can't recommend the DK Eyewitness Guides enough. They show the best places to go in a region in a very easy to use way with excellent maps and photographs. These would be my first choice. Get the one for France as a start then the ones for different regions if you want a bit more detail of a specific area. Add a few Green Guides later if you want but start with DK. :)

PS: The Beautiful Villages book is worth getting too. :)

Amazon product ASIN 2080203908
www.amazon.co.uk/Most-Beautiful-Villages-France-Official/dp/2080203908/

You can also find them listed on-line.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all,

I have already bought All the Aires, and France Passion etc, as well as 'The Back Roads of France' and many many other books on France, but am thinking about buying the Michelin Green Guide to France and matching it with the Michelin atlas. Do any of you have any thoughts on whether this is the best guide book to buy? We are not newcomers to France, but in the past have based our visits around caravan sites and travelling to different areas of interest in the car. We are happy to visit different places in the motorhome, but want to know which is the best guide to buy.

We have previously bought the Lonely Planet and Rough Guide books, and have found them really good, but am wondering whether Michelin is as good if not better.

Last question - if you do recommend the Michelin Green Guides, would you buy the Whole of France Guide or the regional editions, we wouldn't know which regional editions we needed as we are not sure of where we are going after we leave Britanny!

Any suggestions as usual, gratefully received.

Geraldine

We have regional Green Guides. An invaluable detail source, oft overlooked by many!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Why did nobody reply to this ?
This Michelin Green Guide has just been mentioned in another thread and to be honest have never heard of it.
Did a search and found this and thought i had found some golddust with tabs open on ebay, amazon prime, regions of france and of course this one.
cliffandger you have written down everything i wanted to know...................just 7 years earlier.
I never did buy it! I used my rough guide in Paris, and we did some brilliant ‘alternative’ sites. Pere Lachaise cemetery - anyone going to Paris should visit there - a wonderful place.

We’ve travelled extensively in the intervening 7 years and the best guides have been - MHFunsters! Better than any book you could buy!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
A lot of bleedin use you were too !! ;)

Struggling to find a lot of info of the backways around grenoble in the Vercors park. Specifically Gorges and canyons (days out on the motorbike)

Off to do the balcony roads In late April and coming back via Tournon for the train and then the Morvan region where again little to no information but whilst doing a search i found numerous threads to the prodigal and recently returned movan !!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back