Michelin camping tyres wearing down quickly on front wheels (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
In February 2012 we had all the tyres on our 2007 Swift 590 (Fiat Ducato 2.3 base) renewed with Michelin camping tyres. The service this month showed a tread of 9mm on the spare, 8mm on both rear wheels which is fine but 5mm on the near side front and 4mm on the off side front. The wear is even so I don't think the tracking is at fault. This seems excessive as we have only done about 7000 miles since they were fitted and I was hoping to get about 30,000 miles out of them. At this rate we will be lucky to get 14,000 miles out of the front ones.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds a bit excessive, what is your front axle weight? Has anything changed in your loading or driving pattern that could affect the wear. If you use the van in the winter you should be looking at replacing them at 3mm at the latest. Also although you have not done many miles in five years means the van has been standing around a lot so at 5 years old the tyres need replacing now anyway.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Too much wheelspin.

I have a set of Michelin campers on spare wheels that I alternate with the Conti Fourseasons that I run for the winter, I dont know how many exactly but they will have done twice yours most likely and still loads of tread left but we are RWD.

Anyway as Lenny says it will encourage you to change them for some nice new ones.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At this rate we will be lucky to get 14,000 miles out of the front ones.

Not terrible for FWD hauling a huge weight with not enough front weight to reduce wheelspin.

Your choice, keep rotating front/back and buy four at a time or buy two or three fronts to one rear.

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Just had a chat with local Michelin agent and like you say he said this is not excessive wear for a FWD 3400kg van.
Going to take it in to have all tyres inspected and will replace front ones later this year. If the walls are alright on the rear ones will leave them for another year as they still have 8mm on them. Thanks for replies.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Our Michelin xc camping tyres did around 30K and still looked like new. And thats on a 5000kg FWD motorhome.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I've just had a one year service on my Skoda car and it's taken less than 1mm off the original maximum tread in 7,000 miles.

With a MH there is far less rubber wasted in accelerating or braking than a car, less speed around bends to cause wear and if the tracking is okay then it could be the wrong tyre pressures that are the reason for such a deterioration in tread.

Weigh the MH axles and check with your tyre manufacturers what the pressures should be for the actual weight you have.

And ask a different Michelin agent 'cos what he says doesn't seem like common sense to me - unless you are a speed freak!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
One other thing, do you tow a trailer or anything as this will drastically reduce the mileage. I know from experience.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just had a chat with local Michelin agent and like you say he said this is not excessive wear for a FWD 3400kg van.
Going to take it in to have all tyres inspected and will replace front ones later this year. If the walls are alright on the rear ones will leave them for another year as they still have 8mm on them. Thanks for replies.
He must be joking ! My michelins were on the front when I bought it less than 3 years ago & have since done 45k kms (27k miles) & still have 6mm on them. I expect them to do another 10k trip to UK & back before I change them.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
With a MH there is far less rubber wasted in accelerating or braking than a car, less speed around bends to cause wear and if the tracking is okay then it could be the wrong tyre pressures that are the reason for such a deterioration in tread.
You obviously haven't followed me then Keith. :D:D:D

Richard.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Our previous motorhome had around 22k miles and the front tyre wear was minimal.

I am a bit of a slow lane plodder and dont try to set any lap records but your wear does seem excessive.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Now, I'm likely to be vilified food this because at least 2 have said change tyres at 5 years old.
OK, if you are happy with that, fine.
However, I go to my local independent tyre place and they do a full check on the tyres. Now, it would be in their interest to say that they needed to be changed but they checked them and happy with the condition.
However, I decided this year that I'm going to change regardless of any condition. The garage did say there's certainly a good couple of years left in them but I said to change them. They would have been12 years old this year.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
i just changed the 10 year old Michelin camping tyres that had 14k on them from our MH that we bought , have replaced again with the newer Michelin camping tyres that i have read are a softer compound and will therefor wear faster , but i have yet to do more than 500 miles , so time will tell for me.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
This might just be me but I get the impression that tyres do not start out with the depth of tread they used to. All product manufacturers seem to be boasting about their 'competitive' prices without mentioning the fact that there are less biscuits in the pack, less cereal in the box, there is less actual product for the same price. At one time I feel sure tyre depths started out deeper than those that one sees now. Also I wonder if the rubber has been downgraded so it wears away faster. Maybe I am imagining it but I wouldn't be surprised.

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back