Michelin Agilis Campers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Figaro, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Figaro

Figaro Funster

I emailed Michelin and gave them tyre types, sizes, weights from weighbridge etc and asked for recommended pressures.
    They suggested 80 psi to rear and 51 psi to fronts :confused:

Does that sound correct ?
    I think they're 80 all round at present but must confess to never having checked them :cry:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Almost 5 years ago (when we had our Autoquest with Goodyear tyres) I e-mailed Goodyear about pressures and received this response:
    I've attached a scan of the page from our Burstner handbook which gives different pressures depending on model and tyre type.

If you haven't got a handbook for your Hymer B544 you may be able to find one on-line. Failing that other owners of a similar van on here may have the information.

Attached Files:

3. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

With Michelin Camping tyres regardless of size they must always be inflated to 80psi on the rear. On the front the right thing to do is get the front axle weighed then ring Michelin ,what they have said i suspect is do not go below 51psi on the front,so get it weighed and get the pressures set accurately
    Brian & Jo

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

I inflated rears to 80psi and didn't enjoy the driving characteristics.

Currently running 70psi rear, 65psi front, which feels about right.
    This is on a 2005 Hymer, 3500kg (downplated) with Agilis Campers.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Interesting. That conflicts with the information in our Burstner handbook (posted at #2 above) which says 5 bar (72.5 psi) for our van.

6. Clarky

Clarky Funster

This is the reply I got from Michelin when I made the same enquiry last October.

Part of my original enquiry:- We have Michelin 225/75R16CP tyres and run at 1760kg on the front and 2290kg on the rear axle. total vehicle weight 4050kg.

Their reply:-
    The suggested tyre pressure for the rear of a motorhome running on the Agilis Camping is 80psi.

This is due to the construction of the tyre with 2 casing plies enabling the use of higher pressures. Its construction and the use of higher pressures is designed to cope with continual heavy loads sometimes found on Motorhomes and can help with wear pattern issues if lower pressures are used particularly on the rear axle.

The front pressures however can be adjusted according to accurately weighed axle loads for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance. This recommended pressure is 51psi.

I now run mine at a 2-3psi under those recommended pressures which seems to make the ride a bit more comfortable.
    I have loads of pay load left as I am usually well under max weight.

Richard.

7. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

Have just found this on Michelin web site under the page for motorhome camper tyres

LEGAL MENTIONS
    * Compared with MICHELIN Agilis.
    The tyre pressures given are purely indicative. Please refer to your vehicle manufacturer for recommended tyre pressures. These are sometimes found on a sticker on the inside of the front door or fuel filler cap of your vehicle. The documents and information contained on www.michelin.co.uk are supplied 'as is' and without expressed or implied guarantee. Michelin reserves the right to modify or alter the content on this site without prior notice.

To ensure the quality and performance of your tyres please download our safety recommendations to learn more about about our safety and usage advice.

So they are passing the buck to you.

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago recommending using the load index of the tyre and the weight on the axle to get the correct pressure.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That ties in with the information I received from Goodyear, mentioned in post #2, that it is the advice of the vehicle manufacturer which should be followed.

9. Imbiber

Imbiber Funster Life Member

For those with an Al-Ko chassis this link may prove useful (Page 11 for tyre pressures) > Al-ko Handbook

10. pjay

pjay Funster

11. Speve

Speve Funster

We have a Hymer Exsis i698 4250 kg GVW and have found it rides comfortably with 70psi in rears and 65 in the front we are running at around 4000kg

12. jonegood

jonegood Funster

We ve recently switched to Vanco's and noticed an improvement in ride comfort over the Agilis previously fitted.

13. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

We weren't able to get Agilis when needed a couple of years ago and decided on Continentals. Noticed comfort and economy improvement.

Brian

14. Manic

Manic Funster

The handbook for my 2001 Hymer B584 give 4.5 bar/65.26psi front and back for my tyre size.

15. Figaro

Figaro Funster

@Clarky Thats exactly the same as they sent me, must be a standard email they send out so the info sent for results of weighbridge etc is not considered