DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There seems to be a long tradition of posting photographs of meals on here, a theme I applaud of course having done it myself a few times. :)

I'm in Carlisle at the moment and while doing a bit of exploring yesterday in the city of my birth I had lunch in the cafe of the Tullie House museum. Here it is:

OI000058.jpg

Not the most original meal choice, but good value I thought at under a tenner with a pot of tea.

But look at the phone (Sony Z5 Compact for completeness) - it is MHF!

So, anyone else want to submit a few screens shots of MHF on their travels? MHF with a mountain in the background, beside a bottle of Tuscan wine?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Now there is a good idea........

....the only downside that I can see is that I use my phone to take the picture :blush: so some mirrors might be needed.

Did anyone ever see the film "Castaway" with Tom Hanks? An hour and a half advert for FedEx :banghead:

P.S. Can I nick some of your chips?

P.P.S. Isn't it a bit early in the day for serious carb loading??

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The Fryery on Scotch Street (next to Bruccianna's ) probably do the best fish and chips in town these days and you can pick up the free town centre wifi too, though your fish doesn't look too shabby, how long has it been in the museum ? :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Fryery on Scotch Street (next to Bruccianna's ) probably do the best fish and chips in town these days and you can pick up the free town centre wifi too, though your fish doesn't look too shabby, how long has it been in the museum ? :LOL:
My brother and I went for a bit of a wander today, filling in time before the funeral and we were chuffed to see a number of shops still trading, such as Watts coffee house which still fills Devonshire St with the smell of roasting coffee, which we remember smelling 50+ years ago! Next door was Nixon's pet shop which used to be stuffed with critters of all types - rabbits to tropical fish although these days it just seems to sell pet "stuff" like dog leads and food.

Our cousin, who lives in Dumfries says Carlisle is lucky to still have a decent city centre. Dumfries he said went downhill when they pedestrianised the centre and now it is all betting shops and pawn shops - which may be an exaggeration but apparently they are considering letting the traffic back into the centre to try and bring in people.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Having lived in the southern parts of the U.K. In Suffolk and Yorkshire, I find it all very similar but what I find hilarious is how people, my Devon sister in law in particular, seem to act like they are venturing back to donkeys years ago and the way things were when venturing back to were they were brought up,How rustic etc.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
@DBK, Watts has changed hands a couple of times but at least they're still roasting coffee, the amount of smoke they put out into the street is quite phenomenal and it's funny watching unwary passer's by reactions. I've spoken to a few visitors, usually on a few hours stop from a rail trip from Leeds or York and they are generally favourable about the city centre. I would agree with the comments re Dumfries, very depressing place when I visited last year, such a change from my younger days.
The biggest miss in town for me is Dalton's auction mart off Botchergate, where else could you buy a ferret, a knackered lawnmower and a signed letter from Wordsworth under one roof these days ?
Was that you heading east past the castle about 12:45, I was heading west in Busty when I saw a PVC with a back box and remembered you were in the area ?

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK, Watts has changed hands a couple of times but at least they're still roasting coffee, the amount of smoke they put out into the street is quite phenomenal and it's funny watching unwary passer's by reactions. I've spoken to a few visitors, usually on a few hours stop from a rail trip from Leeds or York and they are generally favourable about the city centre. I would agree with the comments re Dumfries, very depressing place when I visited last year, such a change from my younger days.
The biggest miss in town for me is Dalton's auction mart off Botchergate, where else could you buy a ferret, a knackered lawnmower and a signed letter from Wordsworth under one roof these days ?
Was that you heading east past the castle about 12:45, I was heading west in Busty when I saw a PVC with a back box and remembered you were in the area ?
Sorry for the delay replying. If it was Monday then it probably was me going east past the castle, I did a U turn at the roundabout outside Carr's biscuits (as I know them!) then back towards the castle and down into Devonshire Walk.

And I remember Dalton's auctions, amazing events. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I forgot to include this picture of Watts, it is a shot from outside the toilets (!) which are down, a very long way, in the basement. It is like a museum down there, note the display of Carr's biscuit tins and what looks like a Teasmaid!

But pride of place is what I take to be the old coffee roasting machine. They should charge admission and do guided tours.

DSC_0049.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back