MH Weight Uprating Tyre question (1 Viewer)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Further to me talking to John Ruffles regarding uprating our MH , one of the things he said i could do is put bigger tyres on the rear with Air suspension.
My question is , if i change to bigger Tyres , must i also buy bigger Rims for the tyres to fit on ??
or is the inside diameter of the tyre the same?

btw chassis is X250 2007 Fiat based and MH as per Sig

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Post up the tyre sizes currently fitted on your MoHo. I uprated the rear axle on our MoHo by having air assist fitted and fitting new tyres 225/75x15 with a higher load (112) rating but kept the original 15" rims.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think John will mean bigger as in higher load rating, not physical size! :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Unfortunately I could not source a 215 width tyre with a load rating higher than 109 so after speaking to Brian&Jo went with the 112 load rating offered by the Michelin with a width of 225.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
i uprated from 225/65/R16 109 to 235/65R16 121 load rating,
slightly larger rolling diameter, but that n
made the speedometer reading pretty much spot on,
i am much happier with the extra load they can carry if needed, my previous tyres only just meet the potential axel loads so now have tyres working well inside their rating,

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Post up the tyre sizes currently fitted on your MoHo. I uprated the rear axle on our MoHo by having air assist fitted and fitting new tyres 225/75x15 with a higher load (112) rating but kept the original 15" rims.
Exactly what I did, plus the air assist at the rear. You don't need to uprate the front tyres

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When I did the Miller I was instructed to the effect it would have to have 16" wheels and suitable tyres.. Fortunately it already had them fitted
Oh, and the airbag suspension too, but that was only £230 ( ish ) and I fitted it in next to no time.. ( It had to be a really easy job as I did it on the road when there was snow on the ground ! )

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
When I did the Miller I was instructed to the effect it would have to have 16" wheels and suitable tyres.. Fortunately it already had them fitted
Oh, and the airbag suspension too, but that was only £230 ( ish ) and I fitted it in next to no time.. ( It had to be a really easy job as I did it on the road when there was snow on the ground ! )
Did it in August then :xdoh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Bart ... why don't you just ask John exactly what he means ... :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What he means is you may need to fit tyres that are wider and have a higher load rating.

D.
That's my thought too Dave, there's no way he'd be advising changing to bigger rims.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry for the late replies had a busy day , if i remember ill look at the MH tyre size tomorrow , and yes looking back at the e.mails from John i would say he meant wider tyres, ill contact him again to get the ball rolling as ill have to buy 2 tyres anyways so best to get wider ones and uprate at same time.

BTW can you get Wider Snow and mud tyres with the higher load rating ??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you intend going to France or Spain you will need to buy 5 tyres as tyres on the same axle have to be same type and make. If you have a blowout they will not fit your spare if it does not conform and will make you buy 2 new tyres.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
BTW can you get Wider Snow and mud tyres with the higher load rating ??
Yes, most 4 season M&S tyres do not have the snowflake rating and will not be legal in counties requiring winter tyres from Jan 2018.
If you intend traveling Europe in the winter could be worth fitting winter tyres.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If you intend going to France or Spain you will need to buy 5 tyres as tyres on the same axle have to be same type and make. If you have a blowout they will not fit your spare if it does not conform and will make you buy 2 new tyres.
so what you saying i should also change the two front tyres and the spare to 225 width ?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yes, most 4 season M&S tyres do not have the snowflake rating and will not be legal in counties requiring winter tyres from Jan 2018.
If you intend traveling Europe in the winter could be worth fitting winter tyres.
i plan on only visiting warm places :D :D , buy having said that are you saying that come next year anyone who wants to go to spain for the good weather in the winter will need "winter tyres" or did i miss understand that Lenny ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For transiting south to Spain etc. in the winter you can avoid having "winter" tyres by avoiding Germany and Austria, who insist on them, and any "mountain" roads elsewhere. If you come across any signs saying snowchains compulsory you'll need to turn back - the police will not let you through. However it's quite possible.

Not long after we bought our M/H I needed to uprate the weight and used SVTech who advised me that I would need air-assist suspension and uprated tyres, which I could only get in a size wider than the standard. I decided then to go the whole hog and fit alloys - Tyresave were very helpful and supplied wheels that would take the wider tyre, although I understand the standard tyres fitted okay too. As we intended to visit German Xmas markets we fitted winter tyres (Conti Vanco 2 Winter). Been running on those all round (the spare has one too, on a standard rim) ever since with absolutely no problem. Plenty of threads about the use of winter tyres.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The daft thing is most cars today come with an aerosol of gunk or a glorified motorbike spare wheel....space saver....which is about 3 inches wide and legal to use.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
For transiting south to Spain etc. in the winter you can avoid having "winter" tyres by avoiding Germany and Austria, who insist on them, and any "mountain" roads elsewhere. If you come across any signs saying snowchains compulsory you'll need to turn back - the police will not let you through. However it's quite possible.

Not long after we bought our M/H I needed to uprate the weight and used SVTech who advised me that I would need air-assist suspension and uprated tyres, which I could only get in a size wider than the standard. I decided then to go the whole hog and fit alloys - Tyresave were very helpful and supplied wheels that would take the wider tyre, although I understand the standard tyres fitted okay too. As we intended to visit German Xmas markets we fitted winter tyres (Conti Vanco 2 Winter). Been running on those all round (the spare has one too, on a standard rim) ever since with absolutely no problem. Plenty of threads about the use of winter tyres.
I take it i could keep the normal M&S tyres on the front and egt snow chains,, for all the snow i would ever intend to drive in would me minimal ( well i think so atm , but that could change )
Also do you now get a rougher / more noisy ride with winter tyres on all the time when in normal roads and also get less MPG ??

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Snow chains go on the driving and steering wheels, i.e. the front in your case although I would always advocate them on all four. Not sure how the police would react to your idea.

The Conti Vanco 2 Winter were actually quieter than the factory-fitted originals (I think they were Michelin but it's been a while now). Can't really tell about the ride, although that is affected of course by tyre pressures and the air-assist makes a noticeable difference too. As for wear, over a couple of sets of tyres I've got 30000 out of the fronts, changed well before the warning bars, and over 50000 from the rears, changed as being out of date but plenty of tread left (note, I tend to do quite a bit above the average mileage). But it depends on how you drive; Jeremy Clarkson can manage nearly 10 miles out of a set of tyres!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back