Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi i have uprated the MH using JR Consultancy and i have uprated the MH to its maximum weight without doing Any modifications, So that is : Total 3850 KG ( Max 1850KG on front axle and 2000KG on the rear axle )
Now my question is what do i need to send away to DVLA ??
What do i need to complete on the part of the V5 page 2 ( which i have included a pic of ) ?
Also will my tax cost less for the MH ?
JR consultancy 1.jpg

JR consultancy 2.JPG

V5.JPG

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fill in section 7, send with certificate and a cover letter for good measure.
Photocopy ALL documents....DVLA tend to lose things internally.
If the original gross was 3500kg or less Road tax will be cheaper (£165pa) and IF enough current tax left the difference will be refunded

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes, I would say send copies of JR paperwork and yes you tax will come down to £165.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You need to send them the letter from JR and the Design Weight certificate with the V5. Keep copies.

On the V5 all you need to do is fill in 3850 where it says "New Revenue Weight"

Send it all off and hope for the best. (y) Mine came back in 10 days which I think is super fast by their standards.

Your VED will be £165 a year so you might be due a partial refund for any unused months. They will calculate that from when they issue the new V5, not when you send it all to them.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Wow thanks everyone for the super fast replies :)
Good point @pappajohn re the C1 , yip me and the wife both have that ok :) and we have a few years to go till we are 70 :)
@NickNic perfect :)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
forgot to ask , do i need to notify my insurance company ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes but likely no change. some will charge an admin fee though to update

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

I rang mine and they weren't interested. Didn't want to know the original weight, didn't want to know the new weight.

You don't tell them the weight when you are getting a quote or taking out a new policy so they don't have it recorded in the first place so there's nothing to update.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I rang mine and they weren't interested. Didn't want to know the original weight, didn't want to know the new weight.

You don't tell them the weight when you are getting a quote or taking out a new policy so they don't have it recorded in the first place so there's nothing to update.
True Nick but they do ask you any modifications , sure this is a modification or is it not ? :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
True Nick but they do ask you any modifications , sure this is a modification or is it not ? :)

According to mine not.

For it to be a modification or even for them to update anything they would have to know what the original weight was. I don't know about you but no insurance company has ever asked me that.

It doesn't do any harm to give them a call and let them know for peace of mind though. (y)

Off topic but apparently my insurers (Comfort) don't class a tow bar as a modification either. I mentioned when I was speaking to them about renewal that I was thinking of getting one and that I thought I'd have to let them know. The guy I was speaking to said "No, we just assume there will be a tow bar. Don't worry about it." When/if I get round to it I'll probably call them but based on what he told me they won't be interested.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520

Hi Trevor, you answered that question in your original post, where you said:-

i have uprated the MH using JR Consultancy and i have uprated the MH to its maximum weight without doing Any modifications,

Pete

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You also need to send a copy of the new weight plate. I would advise that you ask them to change both the Revenue Weight and the Max. Permissible mass (Line F.1 on V5).
They have a habit of only changing the Revenue weight which would be useless if you got stopped.
Did mine last year, it only took DVLA over 4 months to get me a correct V5.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that relates to the old sailing ships with real rope rigging, which used to rot out and become worthless

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
£150 all in for what i got , if i would of went for the option of uprating suspension / tyres , then the cost quoted was £170 all in

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thought it was the fact that they bought the old rope for caulking of the ships seams.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Actually to be fair to SV Tech charges may seem high but everything is done for you they send a new plate as well, all you do is send of the documents they send you. Our new details were returned complete in less than two weeks without any hassle from DVLA

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Actually to be fair to SV Tech charges may seem high but everything is done for you they send a new plate as well, all you do is send of the documents they send you. Our new details were returned complete in less than two weeks without any hassle from DVLA
How much did they charge you Alan if you don't mind me asking

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Some people have all the luck. We used SV tech still took DVLA over 4 months to get it right.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
we had great service from SV Tech got special discount at Lincoln show £210 and even sent a stamped addressed envelope to send to DVLA,

in 2015,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
How much did they charge you Alan if you don't mind me asking
@Bart This was back in 2013 for a new Autotrail Tracker FB £312 as I said everything done just posted it off as per their instructions.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Bart This was back in 2013 for a new Autotrail Tracker FB £312 as I said everything done just posted it off as per their instructions.
... but you still had to supply them with a lot of the info you'd just send off to the chap I found instead, and you still have to then send the paperwork off to the DVLA yourself ... it's s LOT to pay for a little bit of 'office' work!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I used SV for mine and without question I'll be using SV if I ever need to do it again.

I wonder, if you rang the other guy and said I have X particular make, model and year of motorhome could he give you all your options straight away off the top of his head? No info about the chassis or base vehicle. Just those three things.

That's what SV did when I rang them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I used SV for mine and without question I'll be using SV if I ever need to do it again.

I wonder, if you rang the other guy and said I have X particular make, model and year of motorhome could he give you all your options straight away off the top of his head? No info about the chassis or base vehicle. Just those three things.

That's what SV did when I rang them.
Maybe, as I was the first one to do it he asked me to send the info through to confirm what he was able to help with but others may have been able to ask him and get the answer over the phone. If you want to pay SVTech be my guest, but not all of us want to 'waste' money for the sake of it when there is another option ... a LOT of funsters have benefitted from my research so I'm more than happy with that.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back