MH Parking problems in town, advice needed!! (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Reading another unnamed forum about full timing and a comment was mentioned about parking problems in towns to do shopping or a small villages or indeed some supermarkets, with the width and length of the van being wider. How easy is parking if you have say a 24ft motorhome.
OK I know with a conversion I could probably get away with it but I want to full time at some point and living in a conversion would drive in insane in such a small space.
Now I have considered this because I have yet to buy my dream machine and one thing I considered was buying a van with a garage and keeping a small moped in there, but its not ideal. I can't use a push bike because of a disability.
Full timing I understood included a lot of wild camping so the possibility of staying at a campsite and then using public transport isn't appealing.
So what is the story with parking? Are there other solutions that I'm not seeing, are there any horror stories that I should be aware of?
Am I being too naive....probably.
I have no illusions about driving into the centre of the town and spotting a car parking space and just parallel parking.
Height restrictions, width restrictions will I be able to park in a municipal car park etc etc? If I'm full timing here or in Europe I'll need to shop at some point other than a supermarket.
There must be full timers out there who have 24ft+ vans what is your advice.

Thanks in advance
Gary

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I am neither a full-timer nor own a 24 foot MH (although close enough not to really matter).

However the question of town/city centre parking effects us like most forum members. For shopping, most "out of town" supermarkets have sufficient space to accommodate a large motorhome. We have found that even those near the town centre, if either a parking warden or Customer Services at the supermarket are approached, and the vehicle is parked sensibly and considerately, there have never been (for us) any problems when doing our shopping. Others have mentioned overnighting not being a problem as long as you are away early and do not leave anything behind.

For sight-seeing public transport or a bike is normally seen as the solution but your disability prevents the latter. Research well before you go for the moped solution - the physics of carrying a moped/motor cycle so far behind the rear axle means there is weight transfer from the front of the vehicle which can easily overload the rear axle.

Welcome to the Forum and do consider subscribing - you can learn a lot by asking (or searching) which may prevent the purchase of the wrong type of vehicle for you.

Steve

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
24ft is an ideal size for many full timers and a good compromise between the convenience that a panel van will give re travel and parking, and the luxury of something 28ft+

For parking in town those of us with <6m Motorhomes have no problems at all. We can fit in most car park single spaces. Yours is 1.4 metres longer, but you'd be amazed at how easily you fit, especially where there is some dead ground you can park 1.4m of your rear overhang.

It's rare you'll find yourself unable to park in even the busiest towns BUT..only if you are an early bird. You need to get in early or you might struggle. 24 feet seems like an artic in a busy car park or in a town with double parked cars etc.

Many full timers wild camp, but most just negotiate good long term rates on sites Once you agree to stay somewhere more than a month, prices can get very attractive. Best of Luck:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We never even considered parking problems when we bought our first van but soon learned ::bigsmile: Hence www.motorhomeparking.co.uk :Smile:

Our current van is 22 feet and we would not consider using a car park unless we knew (or at least had a reasonable expectation) that it was both practical and allowed. Large supermarket car parks are usually OK (especially if you park away from the store so don't obstruct "normal" vehicles) but more and more are combating abuse by imposing time limits and enforcing use of single spaces so look out for any signs before leaving the vehicle.

As regards "Full timing I understood included a lot of wild camping", the main question is where? Staying at a roadside or in a lay-by may have no restriction but it may not be attractive in terms of noise from other traffic. Overnight habitation is banned in most car parks (simply because they are car parks not caravan sites and their planning permission reflects that). In addition, everyone who stays off-site has to find somewhere to dump waste (of all varieties) and that has to be done legally to avoid the risk of prosecution. You may find that using CLs/CSs is the only practical alternative to main sites.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have you considered a caravan ?

As mentioned, the best places to live and travel full time in the UK are CLs.. a caravan gives you a base with a car for everyday needs.. even a modest 14ft caravan has a lot of room, as much living space a 24ft motorhome.. and can be towed with a family saloon, estate car or small 4x4.. diesel engined it will get 40mpg..

Your living space can be doubled with an awning, and having a car, no need to take it all down to go fetch the milk....

worth a thought...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As Jim says a caravan is a good option, it depends on your budget but towing a caravan with a small camper is the absolute perfect combination. Live in the van and use the small camper for occasional nights away touring, town parking etc.
In my experience with motorhome parking, it is sometimes easier to park in a space but sometimes very difficult to leave. Depends on how wide the service roads are and how close other cars park.:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
When out and about for shopping, there really is only one place to stop with ease unless you know in advance of somewhere and that is supermarkets.

Drive in,head straight for a corner where car drivers wont park because they won`t walk too far.

If there is a verge at the back of a space use that for your rear overhang.
If not, take x2 spaces--i found that most supermarket car parks are rarely full to the edges.

Usually when driving in, you can spot a "(gaggle)" :ROFLMAO: of motorhomes in one area,maybe that is a favoured spot that does not cause friction with the managment .

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Most Park & Ride facilities outside major towns will
allow motor homes,
but remember first to check with the supervisor.
Stratford on Avon is the only one I've used but
a call to any council will put you straight.

Roger::bigsmile:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
merc

Our last motorhome was an Autotrail Cheyenne on a Merc sprinter chassis, we could get that into spaces a large family saloon couldn`t get into because being rear wheel drive the turning lock was fantastic.
The front wheel drive vehicles are bloody useless.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you are spending all of your time on the continent especially France, then you should have no problem as most towns will have a aire within a walk of the shops and except for big cities there is usually somewhere to park.

If mainly in the UK then a trailer caravan is probably your best bet, or a toad.

Very few vans, regardless of how large the garage may be, will be able to carry a motor scooter in it without being overloaded.

An electric bike perhaps, very much lighter, and with a bit of ingenuity it can be charged while you drive.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Most Park & Ride facilities outside major towns will
allow motor homes,
but remember first to check with the supervisor.
Stratford on Avon is the only one I've used but
a call to any council will put you straight.

Roger::bigsmile:

Stratford on Avon is a prime example of how things change and the need to check. As publicised in October, I was contacted by the Site Supervisor to tell me that the P&R had a height barrier (but MH parking had been made available at a car park in the town instead).

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb: you dismiss the van conversion, but that may well prove to be your best bet.:thumb:You decide on the size of van and layout. :Smile: Layout being the most important thing :thumb:Especially for One :thumb:Most 24 ftrs will be 4 berth or 6 this means a lot of wasted space :winky:
Terry

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Hi Gary. I fulltime in a 28ft van and just adapt to whatever parking is available. Normally I do a weekly shop in a supermarket. Yes, I need to take up 2 straight-through parking bays but I go for ones at the far end of the car park that most people avoid. If there's a parking bod around I'll chat him up, if not I just park anyway - no problems so far. I always park neatly. :winky:

Google Satellite is a good way of checking out car park layouts and height restrictions.

There is often ample street parking on the outskirts of towns if you can't get in a central car park. I don't mind a walk in but don't know if that's practicable for you.

My fulltiming includes sites, CLs and a bit of wild camping - depending on what I want/need at any one time. At the moment I'm on a CC site because the low season price is cheap and includes 16A hook-up.

Don't just rule out public transport. Google Maps is a useful way of finding bus stops and you can then use the internet to check routes and timetables.

Fulltimimg, like most things in life, is a compromise. ::bigsmile:

bailys dad

Free Member
Jan 12, 2013
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have no problen with parkkng 26 ft park sensible pick your car park spot carefull if you over hang make shore no problen others we wild camp a lot of the time be carefull where you stop we use car parks wigh 24 hours parking tolets no problem get your self a radar key fits all disable tolets

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
When shopping at the supermarket on holiday I pick a supermarket with a large carpark and park in 4 spaces right away from the shop as far as you can I do not go when busy and ask at the customer service desk if this is ok I do not stay longer than it takes to shop and only park and shop where parking is free.
I have been told in some places to park in the place they use for their own delivery vans. I have when they have a carpark attendant asked the man where to park and he has told me to park in an area that was not even marked out but had plenty of room as they had a place for motorhomes ,I have found if you ask most places are very welcoming if they realise you just want to shop and not camp.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
No I have an iPad I google the town first and find where I can park up.
This was brill when at Swanage we googled Poole and found 2 lovely parking spaces one being On the quayside at Labrador drive all marked out for Motorhomes.
By the time we drove there it felt like we really knew it as we worked our way through the roads to it.
We did it for Corfe castle and their car park was really great.
So that is how we will always do it.

http://qsview.com/2nqvk8z3dm6nbz140zqfz2u

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Reading another unnamed forum about full timing and a comment was mentioned about parking problems in towns to do shopping or a small villages or indeed some supermarkets, with the width and length of the van being wider. How easy is parking if you have say a 24ft motorhome.
OK I know with a conversion I could probably get away with it but I want to full time at some point and living in a conversion would drive in insane in such a small space.
Now I have considered this because I have yet to buy my dream machine and one thing I considered was buying a van with a garage and keeping a small moped in there, but its not ideal. I can't use a push bike because of a disability.
Full timing I understood included a lot of wild camping so the possibility of staying at a campsite and then using public transport isn't appealing.
So what is the story with parking? Are there other solutions that I'm not seeing, are there any horror stories that I should be aware of?
Am I being too naive....probably.
I have no illusions about driving into the centre of the town and spotting a car parking space and just parallel parking.
Height restrictions, width restrictions will I be able to park in a municipal car park etc etc? If I'm full timing here or in Europe I'll need to shop at some point other than a supermarket.

Thanks in advance
Gary
hi i do it in a 27 foot RV
no problems in most supermarket car parks
i some times go in the goods delivery access ( asking the manager if it is ok while i shop)
never had a refusal yet

if a BUS or a HGV can get in then I can
Park and ride for easy shopping in most city's
simples :thumb:

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH