MH oven

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kcy, Jan 5, 2015.

1. kcy

kcy Funster

When we get home in April we're thinking of putting an oven in the MH. Any suggestions of types etc?

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Hmmmm, after giving this some serious thought for quite some time I would recommend a gas one. ;)

3. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Our Hymer has a factory fitted SMEV dont know the model sorry but it cooks really well. As we use the van all year we cook inside a lot and only use this or the Remoska. Grill is crap though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Ours has a SMEV CU311 combined oven and 4 burner hob but they do standalone ovens as well. This one looks like the oven part of ours and has a similar number so is probably the same: http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/...re_Code=mrst&gclid=CJn3vMGb_cICFabLtAodfWQAHw

We use our oven a lot and haven't found any problems with it. The grill is what I think is typical for small gas grills, it can cook unevenly if you don't keep moving the food around but if you put the grill pan on a lower shelf, not the top one, it cooks more evenly, although it takes longer of course.

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Thats the one we've got as well

• Like Like x 1
  7. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Our van came with an oven but milady has only used it once or twice.. We tend to BBQ and
    lots of fish and chicken with salads.. I'm sure if we went away somewhere cold we would use the oven, but we head for the sun ALWAYS....:LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

We use OMNIA and DOUBLE SKILLET, the Omnia is best for baking (makes fantastic bread!) and the DS is good for 'shallow roasting' meat and vegetables.

We have spent over 365 days in our van and these two cooking gadgets have always managed to cook anything that we would use a 'normal' oven for.

I highly recommend both (especially the Omnia) (y) It needs to be said however that the people that supply the Double Skillet are notoriously unreliable and unhelpful but the product is good. The Omnia can be bought from many places, we used Ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  9. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We fitted a SMEV oven/grill to our Hymer, we used it quite a lot apart from summer when we use the cadac

• Like Like x 1
  10. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

Makes good toast though, once it gets up to speed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

My van is too small to carry an oven, (not the van on the avatar by the way, that's a gorgeous Citroen and trailer that I saw at the aires at Lamotte-Beuvron) but when we moved to this house we had to use an oven from Lidl which cost about £30, was a fan oven with a grill and performed the function of a normal kitchen oven superbly for a few weeks. I've often thought it would be fine in an MH with the ability to store away in the garage or whatever when not needed. Otherwise, it's a lot of space to take up when not needed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kcy

kcy Funster

Never heard of the omnia but I've used the skillet for three years now, brilliant, I'm of two minds over the oven

13. kcy

kcy Funster

Never heard of the omnia but I've used the skillet for three years now, brilliant, I'm of two minds over the oven

14. automedon

automedon Read Only Funster

Have you thought about using a Halogen Oven ? (cost approx. £30) we use our s in the MH while on tour then carry it into house and use it daily, costs half the cost of our inbuilt oven/grill to run, its faster and cooks superb. Easy to use either in the MH or outside on a small table as a BBQ. Amazon have them if required or Home Bargains,plus many other appliance shops, get one of the many Halogen Oven Cooking made easy available (ours cost £4. 99)it takes about 30mins. to learn how to use it. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2