MH not in storage - not insured through Comfort

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by meanders, Sep 3, 2015.

1. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

Just flagging up a potential issue that hasn't fortunately cost us anything. We are insured through Comfort, and used to keep the van at a storage area a couple of miles away. Originally it was under cover, but for a number of reasons, including being moved outside, we decide not to renew the storage and have since kept the van at home.

On ringing to chase the renewal today, I was asked if we still stored it away and on being told no, it was now at the house, I was told we have not been insured because we hadn't told them. "If the van is kept elsewhere for longer than 36 hours" we have to tell them.

So after an hour of going through documents and emails, and another phone call we can report thus.

This need to report is not on the letter accompanying the documentation, although eight other reasons to notify are.
    It's not shown on the 'Schedule' or mentioned in the endorsements.
    It's not on the certificate of insurance.
    On the back of the Aviva 'Key facts' sheet it says, "You will need to advise us if the vehicle is to be stored for over 36 hours at a location other than the one noted on the policy. See Policy Conditions for full details".
    No supplied document is called "Policy Conditions".
    In the 'Statement of fact' it asks whether our address is where the vehicle is normally kept to which we answered correctly at the time 'No'. It then gives the Postcode where we used to store it. Then it asks where the vehicle is normally kept overnight, which is 'elsewhere'.

What the young lady was adamant about was that even while it was at the storage place, every time we took it away two weekends on the trot and didn't have time to take it back, it was effectively not insured while outside the house. Also on occasions, we would collect it two days ahead so it could be packed ready to go.

So..... be warned. It's in the small print across two documents, but not highlighted anywhere! I guess the ombudsman might say it was unfair clause, but it could be hassle for someone.

Final question..... anyone know if this also applies to other MH insurers?

2. Leltel

Leltel Funster

When we renewed this year, they did tell us that if it was away from our drive, for reasons other than using it, for more than 36 hours, we have to tell them. We weren't aware of this before either

• Like Like x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Ours is parked in the side garden at home behind six foot heavily padlocked gates, security lights and CCTV and they had to put 'parked on drive' because there wasn't a box for our arrangements :mad:

• Like Like x 3
  4. makems

makems Funster Life Member

I had a similar discussion with our insurers and they clarified this.
    If it is at home AND ON THE ROAD it is only insured for 36 hours. If it is at home AND ON THE DRIVE there is no problem.
    I noted the date, and time of conversation and to whom I spoke, and told them that I expected that they would keep the recording of the conversation. (Forlorn hope probably).
    Like the OP, the insurance documentation is less than clear on these points.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

If it's damaged or broken into ,you only left it there the night before ,so not really a problem!

Vlad

• Like Like x 5
  6. sweetie

sweetie Funster

Only the same as when people leave there van on campsite or in storage whilst holidaying abroad and fly back to UK to see there little darlings. Most not insured after 36 hours.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

I pointed this out on a recent thread concerning insurance as am currently looking for a renewal, they did mention it to me during a conversation regarding a quote but they did say if left unattended for 36 hours when I questioned this they gave an example of leaving it in an airport car park and going away on hols but maybe it applys to anywhere other than where you informed them it would be kept

• Like Like x 1
  8. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I usually keep mine is secure storage, but over the summer (is that what it was??), when I am doing lots of short trips, it's on the road outside. I discussed this practice with my insurer Safeguard and they are happy for it to be in either place, and have both addresses on the policy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

This is a standard clause, I had this on my 20k caravan and realised when I took it in for a service and the dealer wanted me to sign a disclaimer stating that it was covered by my insurance not his whilst on site as it was staying overnight, I rang the insurance company, guess what "not insured", I also found out that as I had declared a storage compound it had not been insured on my drive, they then added my drive on as an additional approved place. Anyone who leaves there MH at a dealers premises should ring their insurance company or have the dealer provide written confirmation that its covered on their insurance.

• Like Like x 2
  10. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Ours is the same.
    Inside our premises and behind a six foot fence and matching gate, which is barred and locked and under constant light (thank you council street lights).
    We are listed as "on a barred driveway" by Caravan Guard because they don't have a tick box for it and the computer can't add any variants.

• Like Like x 1
  11. clanjones

clanjones Funster

Hi I picked this up when I was looking for Insurance for our new motorhome. I read an awful lot of policy documents and finally decided to go with Caravan Club as this was the least restrictive and whilst not the cheapest wasn't excessive. I formed the view that a lot of policies seem to want you to store your pride and joy and never use it!
    I am now looking at CC for house Insurance as my current provider has a maximum of 60 days away from the house in a a year which is hopeless. On the surface the CC policy seems ok but waiting for a policy to review as the devil is always in the detail....

I don't work for CC either!

12. Sian88

Sian88 Read Only Funster

Who is the best insurer if you are going to full time in your motorhome? thanks.

13. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Sian88 . Comfort is the only company that will do it, I think.

14. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Aviva are the insurance company behind Comfort, MHFacts and AIB for full timing cover. They are the ONLY company that will insure without a UK residence. You still need a UK contact address where the vehicle and your licence are registered with DVLA.

Under full timing cover you can only leave your vehicle unattended for a max of 36 hrs without the written consent of the underwriters.

365 day cover is not the same as full time cover as it has trip limits. Full time cover provides 364 days use abroad (Need to be back one day for MOT to stay legal) 180 days cover in any one country, (because of residency regulations).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  15. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I flagged this one up a few months ago, when I discovered that when the MH was on the drive (and not in use) whilst I carried out essential maintenance, it wasn't actually insured. I told Comfort that it was a ridiculous situation.

They got in touch with Aviva, and because both the storage site and our home address come under the same post code area (PE6) Aviva said they would be willing to insure the MH at both addresses...................whilst it wasn't in use.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

16. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Just came across this as i have just insured with comfort and on my scheduel it says that my motorhome is parked at storage address. This is not true as i said to them that i use both storage and home address. They have sent back an email (my proof) that i will be insured at both addresses and that a note has been left on my account. Of course that email will now be kept for the duration of the policy.

May be worth getting them to confirm on email as i am sure that if it came to claiming they would just deny all knowledge.

• Like Like x 2
  17. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

TBH, I thought I had, but I'm unable to find the email. I'll get back on to them.

Thanks for "heads up". (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

18. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I don't know if this will help anyone but there's a smart phone app called Automatic Call Recorder. It does what it says on the tin and can be set to record every call you make or receive. Mine's set to record 100 calls at which point the oldest is deleted each time a new one is recorded. Individual calls can be marked to be saved permanently. It has saved me a couple of arguments over the last two years or so.

• Like Like x 2
  19. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

A few minutes ago I re-insured my MH and was told about the 36 hour rule over the phone and I've found it on page 2 of the Aviva Keyfacts document.

I hadn't seen the rule before but will certainly make a note of it in the future.

20. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Mine is parked on my drive and insured as such. However, I stated that I may have to leave it on the road at times and they said that is fine as long as it is in the same post code area. Well, AB10 is huge so plenty of places to park if required(y) Insured through Direct Line.