MH Innocents

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by patch, Jan 6, 2013.

1. patch

patch Read Only Funster

Hi, We have just bought our first MH - a new Bessecar E520. A bit extravagant you may think for our first MH but we just know that this is going to be the life for us now that we are both nearing retirement.
    Of course we are going to have many questions to ask all you experienced motorhomers and the first one is .. Should we buy a steering lock?
    Looking forward to getting to know you all...

Pat and Chris:Wink:

2. f6c

f6c Funster

Buy steering lock Wheel clamps :Wink:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome Pat & chris.

a steering wheel lock is a start but i would opt for a proper motorhome alarm/immobiliser and a tracker on a brand new van.

4. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi and welcome to fun

It would help but as pappajohn says its a new van so maybe a bit more unless it has it fitted.

5. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:party2::welcome::party2:

6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Welcome to Fun, if this is your first foray into motorhomeing , ask as many questions you have, you have started off with a great van, I would look at Van Blitz, think that may be the way to go, than your stearing lock. :Wink:

7. annadg

annadg Read Only Funster

Hello and welcome .. We are new to it too but gaining experience all the time and what fun it is ! You will love it :)

8. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi and welcome guys, if you are seriously worried about security then maybe a Tracker might be a good investment or have others have suggested a
    Strikeback from HERE:thumb:

Of course they are a little bit more money than a steering lock but on a brand new van well worth it:Wink:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sedge

sedge Funster

Hello!

and Err, didn't Jim (our Ringleader, may his name be praised etc etc :notworthy::notworthy: ) write a downloadable book on the very subject of Motorhome Security? Would that be a Good Idea to have a read of that? cos I did actually think he might know what he was on about, summat to do with his past employment or something ....... :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  10. kickstart

kickstart Funster

Hello and welcome, your insurance company will tell you what's best for your situation I'm sure,we found that having a recognized immobiliser or/and a tracker is best,
    Although we have a Burstner M/H we love the Bessacar E540, and our youngest son works for the Swift Group, building both Swift and Bessacar and let me tell you, the workforce are so proud of the build quality and finish of all there motorhomes. :thumb:

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Very good book:thumb:

I bought it but I have lost it somewhere on my ipad:Doh:

12. alfandM

alfandM Funster

HI and a warm welcome from us, enjoy your adventure's, i thought you should have a steering lock on your MH as standard , i agree with other posts a alarm of some sought, iam sure your insurance company will put you right, Alf.

13. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Welcome to Fun. Although I don't have any statistics to back this up, the VAST majority of vehicles stolen nowadays have their keys stolen as well, the onboard immobilisers are that good and very difficult to bypass. A notable exception seems to be vehicles with electronic keys where someone has developed an electronic gizmo to copy the code .

So the first security step should be to ensure your keys are kept secure.

The next step should be, as others have suggested, a good alarm which may allow you to sleep more comfortably when out and about and to protect the contents when you are not.

Steve

14. patch

patch Read Only Funster

Have decided to follow advice and look into getting alarm fitted. Am a bit computer illiterate so hoping my replies and thanks get thru' ...