MH FIRST TIME INSURANCE

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Spud, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Spud

Spud Funster

Hi,
    I am expecting delivery of my new MH in March and would appreciate some advice.
    The MH will be parked/stored at my business premises which is on an electronically gated industrial estate, locked inside my unit which is covered by 24 hour internal and external cctv.
    I will at times be using it to travel to and from work, by virtue of the fact I will be taking it away via my home (to load up) and vice-versa, so may well require business use on my policy.
    Which companies offer this cover?
    That's the first question, more to follow on this subject.
    Thank you all in advance.
    Spud.

• Like Like x 1
  2. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

We use our MH because my BH works away from home for 3 days per week. I go with her because I'm disabled and being my principal carer she prefers that I be there with her. The DWP, HMRC and our insurers know this and our insurers have never asked that we include business cover.

3. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Try getting a quote from "Advance Insurance " of all the quotes we had they offered us the best deal and i didn't have to surrender any of my no claims to insure the MH (y)

4. jaykay

jaykay Read Only Funster

I have just insured first motorhome through Safeguard (part of Swinton) and found them great value after a bit of haggling.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Another for safeguard....not the cheapest but good cover.

6. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Unless you are driving it in the course of your business, i would have thought you would just require cover to include To and From place of work. I don't think this increases cost of policy but would be worth checking. Business use will no doubt be a substantial increase.

7. Phill D

Phill D

safeguard / swinton and comfort insurance are 2 worth a try both good cover through Alianz and Aviva

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

what you described is social domestic and pleasure plus commuting. shouldn't increase your premium. I would be more concerned that the need for a gated compound at your storage choice indicates higher than normal risk

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spud

Spud Funster

Thankyou all for your responses.
    Having once met a quite officious Road Traffic Officer, I was duly informed (rightly or wrongly?) that my insurance, giving me cover for social, domestic & pleasure use, did not allow me to use it to get to & from work and we all know that the small print is where all insurance company's make their money!
    I have now had a couple of quotes. Surprisingly having the MH parked on my drive in full view is less than half the cost (I could only get one company to quote) of it being parked in a very secure unit, all be it in group 3 of the postcodes (4 being the worst).
    Spud