MH battery Charger

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by keng0orh, Sep 8, 2010.

1. keng0orh

keng0orh Funster

Hi Ya Gang
    Anyone a tec on battery chargers/batteries!!
    My battery has been playing up (85ah) by discharging quickly. I Unbolted the passenger seat and took out the battery only to find the fluid had evaporated from all but 2 cells.
    Not knowing what the charger was (my MH is a Carioca 10 euro lux) i disconnected the charger in my MH and found that its a S.M.E 150, rated at 16A, I'm guessing that my problem is the charger, and is perhaps not switching off, so literally boiling the battery!!
    Today i fitted a new 110amp sealed battery from Numax to my MH.

Would a new charger like a Ctek XS 7000 battery charger which is rated at 7A be ok for whats required.

Thanks

ken

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I wouldn't jump to conclusions, when last did you top up the old battery ? If more than a year then there is probably nothing wrong with the charger .
    Only certain way to find it is to check the charging voltage and see if it tapers off when fully charged.

If you do have a faulty charger replace with one with at least the same output .. 7amps is too small. ..it would take more than double the time to charge fully than your existing, also bear in mind the existing charger is also a 12v power supply unit..

3. acting_strange

acting_strange

I don't know how old the battery was but I bet the plates have shorted at the bottom with the normal silt and that's the cause not the charger.

4. Mandaxxx

Mandaxxx Read Only Funster

Being a mere woman maybe I should keep my mouth shut----but shouldn't you be using a Gel battery?:Eeek:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Not at all .. you have every right to ask .. but where did you read that advice ?

GEL are expensive, give poor performance and unnecessary .. the only people who advocate buying for a MH are the manufacturers.