MH aerial

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kcy, Mar 14, 2016.

1. kcy

kcy Funster

I thought all motor homes, like cars came with aerials, have always used the TV abroad for DVDs but as we've decided to go to the Lake District I thought I'd watch tv. No it's a snow storm. We have a wifi boost. But no aerial

2. JFD

JFD Funster

If, like ours, your motorhome came with a TV, then there may well be an aerial somewhere - it's not always obvious, and may well need intervention before it works!! For example, our motorhome came with a TV aerial in the top of the cupboard, that needs to be pushed up, oriented in the right direction (look at nearby houses, and copy theirs), and the right orientation (vertical or horizontal - again, local houses or, as it's either one or the other, try both!). There is also a signal booster with ours, which needs to be turned on (red light showing), before you get a usable signal for the TV. We had no documentation supplied, but googling the maker's name led us to documentation on their website.

If the TV is your addition, you will need to get your own aerial, and you can get one at most camping shops! Hope this helps.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

From your avatar you haven't got one! :)
    But it might just be the angle the photograph was taken from. Take another using step ladders. ;)

4. maison

maison Funster

If you are already in the Lake District the mountains can get in the way. That's why many camp sites up there have TV connections available to plug into.

• Like Like x 1
  5. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

Sat dish every time. About 60% of M/Home TV Aerial are as much good as a blow up doll with a puncture

6. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

If You do have an aireal , you will also have a booster in the same cupboard ( which will need to be switched on each time & off at the end

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

You DO have to retune the tv EVERY time you move to a new area.
    Different transmitters transmit channels on different frequencies

If you have never used your tv to watch live tv, which it appears the case, it will never have been tuned at all.

Try a retune and see if that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

......and that is being generous.

.......but please don't insult @Tootles "inflatable Ethel" like that......... :LOL:

9. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

Hi icy
    If you don't have an aerial which I don't think you have try the Avtex STH3000 not cheap but good.
    This aerial has a built in amplifier which needs a 12v supply. If you have a Avtex TV you need to use the powered aerial setting. If you use any other make of TV it has the means within the kit to power the aerial.
    Although I have a sat system I always carry mine just in case of trees and have had to use it several times.
    Colin