MF views on leaving your dog / dogs in your motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
A number of the sites on which we stayed recently state that it is verboten to leave your dogs unattended.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Dogs need down time, ours are happy alone in the van subject to suitable weather conditions. If we didn't give them some alone time they would be burnt out after a week.
Never caused any damage, whatever they get up to, TV, poker, drinking, they clear any evidence before our return.

:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Agree Millie, I'm sure our dogs like it when we leave the alone in the van for an hour or two to have a nice kip ... when we're there they are just too nosey as to what we're doing to have a snooze so are soon knackered! At home they spend most of the day snoozing so when away they get seriously deprived!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We have to leave Mobi alone in the camper at race weekends as the venue stipulates that dogs must be kept in a motorhome or caravan, not a car. Jackie checks him every half hour to an hour at most and we have two roof vents with thermostatic fans so I set one to draw in and one to blow out with the temperature set to about 20 deg C. Mobi is quite happy in the camper on his own and simply makes a nest for himself in our bed and sleeps, he's very good at sleeping.

D.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When you full time you have to leave them sometimes, and occasionally you want to go somewhere together that is impractical with a dog just as you would in a house. Indeed we went in to Weymouth today for a couple of hours or so. We are pretty sure Misty sleeps while we are out (we hear her jump down & her bed is warm) and the first question I asked our nearest neighbour on returning today was did she bark at all? Apparently she did not.

Common sense dictates if there's any chance of the van getting too hot or you are in a location where you do not feel 100% then we would not even consider leaving her.

90% of the time she comes with us which is a lot easier when we are in France/ Spain/ Portugal.

You keep your vicious beast away from me... she wants to kill me and eat me for dinner...

JJ :cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You keep your vicious beast away from me... she wants to kill me and eat me for dinner...

JJ :cool:
Perhaps its because you 'smell' of FB pies JJ ... poor dog doesn't realise they're vegetarian! :D

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpeg

I know she is a ferocious and frightening beast even to a rufty tufty male specimen such as yourself but really she'd only want to lick you to death or beg you for tummy rubs ;)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
This thread reminds me of the time a security guard in a carpark threatened to call the RSPCA because we left our dog in the back of a Volvo one evening in autumn. It wasn't hot - we live in Scotland. She said, 'you wouldn't leave your child so why leave your dog?'. Dogs are not children. You wouldn't leave your child in a kennel either. Our two dogs are happy to be left in the van. They sleep and pretend to be pleased to see us when we get back. Some dogs have separation anxiety and can't be left. Ours curl up together and are fine. It's all about knowing your dog, as someone has already said. Do you all stay home with your dogs all the time when you're not touring? Ours get left in the kitchen. Perhaps we're lucky because ours don't chew or wreck anything either at home or in the van.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
we leave ours up to about 3 hours no problem , well walked before we leave her.heating on if cold , fans on well vented if hot, water lots of, its not like leaving a dog in a car, different altogether.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I would suggest it depends on what you are doing that day, where you are, what the weather is like. For example exploring a town on a hot summers day could cause your dog real distress as Their paws can be badly burnt from the heat of the pavement. Better left in an air conditioned van in that scenario. Sometimes needs must. Another example is meeting friends for a restaurant meal. Dogs are not welcome. So you leave them in the van.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
There is a huge French RV parked close to us at Valencia Camper Park at the moment with two yappy little rats on a rope who leap about the inside yapping at everything that moves. The owners have a hire car so are off out in that while their two darlings set off every other dog within 5 km.
I love dogs but sometimes would like to strangle the little buggers. :(

Richard.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we treat the motorhome as home, some days at home gertie is alone for up to eight hours. she has water and a variety of places to sleep its never been a problem so leaving her in the motorhome is no different i get more worried leaving her outside shops than in the moho

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
As a dog owner and motor homer I am surprised when chatting how many people leave there dog/dogs in the motorhome when they go out and away from the campsite. We only ever left our dogs in the motorhome when on site , either sitting at another motorhome or if there was some sort of entertainment on site and this was usually in the evening.
You shouldn't be surprised its quite normal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back