Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Metal detectorists ?
Any on here ?

Currently own a Fisher F2 which I have hardly used but looking to upgrade to something like a Teknetics T2..
____

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Yes - me & Barrie go metal detecting when we have a spare couple of hours.

We've got a XP Goldmax.

It's best to have a European-made detector if you're detecting UK soil.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
so what would these detectors be used to detect then? lost motorhomes, lost keys or with one funster recently, a gold tooth? :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Around here its mainly artefacts from around ww 1 time.. so yes, proly turn up the odd Funster too :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes - me & Barrie go metal detecting when we have a spare couple of hours.

We've got a XP Goldmax.

It's best to have a European-made detector if you're detecting UK soil.

Hmm have not considered that.. One reason is that they are single frequency and not great on damp sand.. a venue I often seem to find myself on !

But.... having said that they are on one of the highest frequencies used so a real good coin shooter :thumb:
Bet you have found some hammered's ?

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Another one here, been going for a few years now, started off with a C Scope 3MX, but been using a Minelab Safari for a good while, great detectors but as they use 20 odd frequencies at the same time it can get a little noisy on trashy ground, believe me John there is a lot more than ex ww11 stuff in the ground in your neck of the woods, the fellow who bought my 3MX came from around Thetford and he found a Saxon Gold ring as one of his first finds, he's also and some good finds since, I have a couple of farms around here that I have permission on and I have had quite a few Hammered Coins along with some nice artifacts most of which can be seen here http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=500&ppuser=11398 as long as the link works. Anyone interested it's worth visiting this website www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk they are a good bunch on there and some very clued up people to help identify items and coins etc

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Been doing it for a few years... Not done much for a long time...

Used to do well on the beaches, after the holiday makers had gone home...

That well paid for the cost of my detector, which is a "Tesora Tejon", (I think that`s the model... :RollEyes::thumb:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Metal Detecting

I've been out on the beach here at Skegness a few times this year after a break of two years and found a few coins but nothing of value.

I found the beaches in Spain more productive but allways feel a bit uneasy about the laws over there, even though a lot of people seem to do it.

I detect with a Whites DFX and at first it seemed a bit complicated but I seem to have it sorted now.

alan

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am a member of UK Detector. Net ( http://www.ukdetectornet.co.uk/ ) and have been for quite a while now..

Yes, I know there is quite a lot of saxon stuff around, but I never seem to find any !

One of the well known saxon hoards was actually found on a field owned by a good friend of mine :thumb:

I looked at the Whites range.. for the lolly I decided to keep looking.. But in all honesty I do not think there is any such thing as a BAD detector.. its just a matter of getting one that suits me personally

Last edited:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I did have one but doesn't work any more, must try to get it mended, if anyone stays here on site you are quite welcome to detect in the big field. Never been done as far as I know. Roman settlements all around here. When we were doing some work we came across alot of shaped cobbles but didn't investigate any more. Probably an old part of a drovers road.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Bet you have found some hammered's ?

Lots of hammereds round here. Roman, Celtic, etc - great place for detecting!

Here's one I found a couple of years ago.

It's a Corio Cor gold quarter stater, struck by the Dobunni tribe c.20BC-AD5

Attachments

• Quarter stater 1.jpg
    Quarter stater 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nice !! Very nice.. Gold staters are not exactly common !! :thumb:

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
maybe interested in taking this up. a friend just bought a 2nd hand one of ebay, cost £1200 and he only bought it for being light weight and easier to manoeuvre. his over unit is the best you can buy, he did not tell me how much he paid for that one!
I assume there is an entry level unit that wont cost the earth, I like the idea of it being small and light.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As said Mike, seriously looking at trading mine in at the moment but I will not be giving it away as it is, to all intents and purposes new..It is a Fisher F2, perfect beginners unit with multi tone and a really good discriminator

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I also have a whites dfx took a while to get the hag of it but its 3 years old and does what it says on the box. I usually have with me in the mh gives me something to do.
Steve.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I had one in my late teens - a C-Scope BFO 50 as I recall. I got fed up with finding jam jar lids and ciggie packets, so I gave it up for archaeology.

I worked on one site in Bucks in 1982 where the local metal detector group were set loose on our spoil tip, and they came up with all sorts of goodies that we'd missed. This was mainly because encrusted coins are damn difficult to spot in soil. Also, it's a popular myth that archaeologists use trowels and brushes - much of the time they use mattocks and shovels, so a fair bit can end up in the wheelbarrow.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
While on this thread it might be wise to let anyone thinking of taking up this hobby that you need permission to use a detector anywhere, all land belongs to someone, even so called common land. You even need permission to detect on beaches (foreshore)good news is the majority of foreshore comes under Crown Estates and the permit is free.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Whites

I also have a whites dfx took a while to get the hag of it but its 3 years old and does what it says on the box. I usually have with me in the mh gives me something to do.
Steve.
There is a Whites Detector forum on Facebook which throws up a lot of information and pics of other peoples finds from all over the world
Alan:thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup.. Anyone considering having a go would be well advised to join one of the general detecting forums and having a read up ref permissions etc..

Alan, thanks for the heads up re the Whites forum.. gathering info at the mo re upgrade so all good :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just back from a quick outing..

MORE ruddy blanks, but this time weird ...

Must be military as the cartridges I am finding are 'blanks'

Any idea what gun they were used in ( other than one that goes bang, can fire blanks, and uses a .25 cartridge ! :ROFLMAO: )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Apparently training rifles used .25 as to not waste the 303 caliber amo needed for the war effort

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
I did some detecting when i was a kid, my dad bought one and we used to wander around some of the local fields and former army sites etc.

We found quite a lot of worthless but interesting bits n pieces, ammo cases, shells etc. Fun for a kid and I remember it fondly.

I also ended up with quite a collection of old bottles as a by product of digging for stuff!

Having read the thread I thought i might try it again....but blimey its got complicated and expensive!

....s'pose i join another forum as a noob and try to learn enough to make a first decent purchase.....::bigsmile:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Detecting

Its a beautifull morning here in Skeg and we've just been along the seafront with the dogs, the beach is packed so I'l be out detecting tonight or tomorrow morning digging up ring pulls and hopefully something of value
Alan:thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I did some detecting when i was a kid, my dad bought one and we used to wander around some of the local fields and former army sites etc.

We found quite a lot of worthless but interesting bits n pieces, ammo cases, shells etc. Fun for a kid and I remember it fondly.

I also ended up with quite a collection of old bottles as a by product of digging for stuff!

Having read the thread I thought i might try it again....but blimey its got complicated and expensive!

....s'pose i join another forum as a noob and try to learn enough to make a first decent purchase.....::bigsmile:

The Fisher F2 which I am currently using is a good starter.. Good discriminator and easy to get used to the tonal value of whats down there :thumb:

But there are quite a few decent first time semi-serious buyers.. basically avoid the chinko stuff, and expect to pay about £250 for something worth while

A lot of folk buy a real cheepy to start with and soon get very pee'd off constantly digging up scrap iron and ring pulls !
get something half worth while as a starter and you will not look back :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sooo.. I have passed on the Fisher to Woman who also wants to get in to it..
And I now have a Minelab Safari

Went to a bit of land owned by a mate that other folk have had good finds out of..

Was it it for 4 hours when suddenly I got a BIG signal that was also deep..
I was not going to dig it as that combination is usually a buried drinks can.. but the centre point drifted off real quick so decided to give it a go.

The ground is sandy so no biggy to dig down.

What do a find ? A crotal bell..
It has been identified as circa 12 to 14th century

Link Removed

And two minutes later.....................

What MAY be an iron age clothes pin. Waiting for confirmation on that one but initial word is positive ..

Link Removed

Mar 17, 2010
MANSFIELD
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
early 2010
Just got in from a days detecting 1 hammered a roman grot and loads of buttons and lead. Using a Garrett

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
looks like you both have had better luck than me so far, only just got back on the fields but very little found so far. Great machine though John (once you get used to all the noise) and also my choice of weapon. those crotals normally give a lovely tone . normally use mine with customised setting basicly all metal but with minus 10 knocked out and saved on the coins button to give conductive tones, sensitivity around 18 and high trash, Ive had some really nice finds over the last couple of years using this setting.

Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
You've got me thinking now we live in Shoreham by sea up on the hill the road were in is called Slonkhill now Slonk means slaughter a Saxon term and (Slonk- butcher) is still used in some parts of the country, here the Romanized Britons and the Saxon invaders had a big battle most probably in my back garden so if I got one I could find lots of stuff:
Gary

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
looks like you both have had better luck than me so far, only just got back on the fields but very little found so far. Great machine though John (once you get used to all the noise) and also my choice of weapon. those crotals normally give a lovely tone . normally use mine with customised setting basicly all metal but with minus 10 knocked out and saved on the coins button to give conductive tones, sensitivity around 18 and high trash, Ive had some really nice finds over the last couple of years using this setting.

I set the threshold to about 13 and get very little noise

Gary, look at something like the Garret Ace 250, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Whites Coinmaster, or a bit more up market is the Minelab X-Terra 305.
All excellent starting machines mate

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back