Metal detectorists ?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Jaws, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Metal detectorists ?
    Any on here ?

Currently own a Fisher F2 which I have hardly used but looking to upgrade to something like a Teknetics T2..
    ____

2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Yes - me & Barrie go metal detecting when we have a spare couple of hours.

We've got a XP Goldmax.

It's best to have a European-made detector if you're detecting UK soil.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

so what would these detectors be used to detect then? lost motorhomes, lost keys or with one funster recently, a gold tooth? :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Around here its mainly artefacts from around ww 1 time.. so yes, proly turn up the odd Funster too :Rofl1:

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Hmm have not considered that.. One reason is that they are single frequency and not great on damp sand.. a venue I often seem to find myself on !

But.... having said that they are on one of the highest frequencies used so a real good coin shooter :thumb:
    Bet you have found some hammered's ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

Another one here, been going for a few years now, started off with a C Scope 3MX, but been using a Minelab Safari for a good while, great detectors but as they use 20 odd frequencies at the same time it can get a little noisy on trashy ground, believe me John there is a lot more than ex ww11 stuff in the ground in your neck of the woods, the fellow who bought my 3MX came from around Thetford and he found a Saxon Gold ring as one of his first finds, he's also and some good finds since, I have a couple of farms around here that I have permission on and I have had quite a few Hammered Coins along with some nice artifacts most of which can be seen here http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=500&ppuser=11398 as long as the link works. Anyone interested it's worth visiting this website www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk they are a good bunch on there and some very clued up people to help identify items and coins etc

• Like Like x 2
  7. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Been doing it for a few years... Not done much for a long time...

Used to do well on the beaches, after the holiday makers had gone home...

That well paid for the cost of my detector, which is a "Tesora Tejon", (I think that`s the model... :RollEyes::thumb:

8. alan

alan Funster

Metal Detecting

I've been out on the beach here at Skegness a few times this year after a break of two years and found a few coins but nothing of value.

I found the beaches in Spain more productive but allways feel a bit uneasy about the laws over there, even though a lot of people seem to do it.

I detect with a Whites DFX and at first it seemed a bit complicated but I seem to have it sorted now.

alan

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I am a member of UK Detector. Net ( http://www.ukdetectornet.co.uk/ ) and have been for quite a while now..

Yes, I know there is quite a lot of saxon stuff around, but I never seem to find any !

One of the well known saxon hoards was actually found on a field owned by a good friend of mine :thumb:

I looked at the Whites range.. for the lolly I decided to keep looking.. But in all honesty I do not think there is any such thing as a BAD detector.. its just a matter of getting one that suits me personally

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  10. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

I did have one but doesn't work any more, must try to get it mended, if anyone stays here on site you are quite welcome to detect in the big field. Never been done as far as I know. Roman settlements all around here. When we were doing some work we came across alot of shaped cobbles but didn't investigate any more. Probably an old part of a drovers road.

• Like Like x 2
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

wish I had one....

How many times have I dropped a small screw or washer, only for it to disappear into a cosmic black hole. :cry:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Lots of hammereds round here. Roman, Celtic, etc - great place for detecting!

Here's one I found a couple of years ago.

It's a Corio Cor gold quarter stater, struck by the Dobunni tribe c.20BC-AD5

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Nice !! Very nice.. Gold staters are not exactly common !! :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. electricscott

electricscott Funster

maybe interested in taking this up. a friend just bought a 2nd hand one of ebay, cost £1200 and he only bought it for being light weight and easier to manoeuvre. his over unit is the best you can buy, he did not tell me how much he paid for that one!
    I assume there is an entry level unit that wont cost the earth, I like the idea of it being small and light.

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As said Mike, seriously looking at trading mine in at the moment but I will not be giving it away as it is, to all intents and purposes new..It is a Fisher F2, perfect beginners unit with multi tone and a really good discriminator

16. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

I also have a whites dfx took a while to get the hag of it but its 3 years old and does what it says on the box. I usually have with me in the mh gives me something to do.
    Steve.

17. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I had one in my late teens - a C-Scope BFO 50 as I recall. I got fed up with finding jam jar lids and ciggie packets, so I gave it up for archaeology.

I worked on one site in Bucks in 1982 where the local metal detector group were set loose on our spoil tip, and they came up with all sorts of goodies that we'd missed. This was mainly because encrusted coins are damn difficult to spot in soil. Also, it's a popular myth that archaeologists use trowels and brushes - much of the time they use mattocks and shovels, so a fair bit can end up in the wheelbarrow.

18. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

While on this thread it might be wise to let anyone thinking of taking up this hobby that you need permission to use a detector anywhere, all land belongs to someone, even so called common land. You even need permission to detect on beaches (foreshore)good news is the majority of foreshore comes under Crown Estates and the permit is free.

19. alan

alan Funster

Whites

There is a Whites Detector forum on Facebook which throws up a lot of information and pics of other peoples finds from all over the world
    Alan:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Yup.. Anyone considering having a go would be well advised to join one of the general detecting forums and having a read up ref permissions etc..

Alan, thanks for the heads up re the Whites forum.. gathering info at the mo re upgrade so all good :thumb: