Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
t
Does any one know if it can be done in Spain or portugal.?
there is no land detecting allowed in spain or portugal but you can detect the beaches or like me get in the sea with a waterproof machine. below is the result of 5 weeks in the water in spain.

Attachments

• gold 2013 001.jpg
    gold 2013 001.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 143
  • gold 2013 002.jpg
    gold 2013 002.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 139

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The Millennium Bridge. In the foreground a pile of old odds and sods I found in 20 minutes' mudlarking along the shoreline near low tide. From left to right, a piece of coal with fossil plant stem imprints, a struck flint flake, some very old coarse pottery, part of a Roman mortaria with grit pressed into it to help the grinding, various bits of glazed post medieval pottery, a piece of decorative marble, some 17th century Staffordshire slipware and a pile of clay pipe stems. None of them metallic, all of interest, and all from a river bank. Rusty metal's all well and good but there's a lot more out there once you get an eye for it.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
t

there is no land detecting allowed in spain or portugal but you can detect the beaches or like me get in the sea with a waterproof machine. below is the result of 5 weeks in the water in spain.

Now that little lot has well covered not only the cost of the detector, but the cost of travel also.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
t

That's amazing.(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
15fa749ffc902a283f4d8a18b9cc10d1.jpg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
t

That big gold chain looks the same as the one I lost in Spain ..... Or was it Portugal ..? Thanks mate I'll PM my address for the return......(y)

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
here a few more from different trips. i have been 12 consecutive winters in spain detecting in the water. i also have a thames mudlark license and detect on the land in the uk with a few clubs.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 101
  • lucky beach 25 01 13 001.jpg
    lucky beach 25 01 13 001.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 96

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
here a few more from different trips. i have been 12 consecutive winters in spain detecting in the water. i also have a thames mudlark license and detect on the land in the uk with a few clubs.

Out of curiosity, from when do most of your Spanish finds date back to, which is your oldest find, and which is your personal favourite? Also, are all of them European or are any from further afield?

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
That big gold chain looks the same as the one I lost in Spain ..... Or was it Portugal ..? Thanks mate I'll PM my address for the return......(y)

:LOL::ROFLMAO:
i have returned a few over the years. in 2014 a local spanish bloke came out into the water and told me his friend had lost his gold diamond ring 5 months previous. i had been in this beach 3 weeks before and found a wedding ring with a diamond in but it was in my van at the campsite 20 km away. he phoned his friend and he told me that the ring had a date in 07/08/67 so when i got back to the camping i had a look and it was the same ring. that evening they drove up to the campsite to pick it up , they were over the moon to get it back.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 76

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Seanoo
how sure are you that you can do this stuff on the beach In spain and portugal ? I was advised by friend not so

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Out of curiosity, from when do most of your Spanish finds date back to, which is your oldest find, and which is your personal favourite? Also, are all of them European or are any from further afield?
mostly all modern 18k spanish jewellry , hardly any uk stuff but a few american, russian ,asian , german and french bits too. i wouldnt really have a favourite as i only do it because i cant detect on the land in spain. i much prefer detecting for ancient coins and artifacts on farmland in the uk.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
mostly all modern 18k spanish jewellry , hardly any uk stuff but a few american, russian ,asian , german and french bits too. i wouldnt really have a favourite as i only do it because i cant detect on the land in spain. i much prefer detecting for ancient coins and artifacts on farmland in the uk.

Thats the thing with European gold, its all a minimum of 18k. I once required a repair to a 9k ring in Holland and was told they do not do 9k.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Seanoo
how sure are you that you can do this stuff on the beach In spain and portugal ? I was advised by friend not so
i have been doing it for 12 years and spoken to loads of police over that time and once they see the dangerous objects i remove from the sea they are quite happy. to detect andalucia you need to get a permit for the beaches you want to detect on , this is free and can be got from the local council offices. the rest of the spanish med coast including catalunya is no problem but you should keep to early morning and late evening in summer as to not annoy the bathers. in winter there are no issues. portugal , there is no detecting on the beach or in the sea or inland so dont bother unless you like prison food!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I got one of these, cost a few hundred a few years ago..

Had good fun with it down the beach, and earned it`s keep.. (y)

vaquero-face.jpg
Still got mine plus a couple of minelabs..not used since my Kate passed away....maybe one day I will get one of them out of the loft and have another go...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Does any one know if it can be done in Spain or portugal.?

:LOL: Up near La Manga the only way they do it is as a club who have an agreement with the Guardia & when they are going out, as a group, they give them all the details. Date, time,place ,etc. Then they have no problems. In Almeria & on down the Guardia will /have confiscated the equipment as they don't allow it. I have a friend, British , who goes out but Almeria side he creeps about in the water in the early hours , 2-3 am. In Murcia on the hard to access beaches that are full at weekends he goes during the day but tyre slashing is a problem then from many who earn a living at it.:) A Spaniard I know who does earn good money at it , & often works with my Brit mate, says he averages replacing 1 tyre per month.

There is a lad who posts on the VW forums who has earnt a living for years down Tarifa way just detecting in the shallow water after the tourists have gone.

Spain............ I believe you need a license, obtainable from the Ayuntamentor. (Council) surprise, surprise.. :RollEyes::wink:

:D Yes ,try getting one.:)

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I am of course bound to secrecy as the information came from one of my people in Portugal ;), but I am reliably informed that a certain funster became a very, very wealthy man due to a metal detector find. After reading some of these posts it becomes clear that its not just a hobby for nutty people with nothing better to do with there time :cool:.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi guslopez , sorry but i have to disagree with you a bit so as not to put people off doing this while on holiday. you are right there is a club based around san javier but they also detect the land too and dont have to state where they are going on the beaches although they do have id cards. detecting in the sea or on the beach is no issue with the police or guardia civil in murcia ,alicante or castellon but as you say as soon as you cross into andalucia then they can take your detector if you dont have a permit. the permits are very easy to get also , go in and get the form , fill it out and take it in with your passport and bobs your uncle. also out of all of us that do this summer and winter , none of us have had our tyres slashed.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hello Seanoo,when you say underwater detecting do you mean wading about knee high in water ?

Vlad the curious

sighseer

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
20 years
hi guslopez , sorry but i have to disagree with you a bit so as not to put people off doing this while on holiday. you are right there is a club based around san javier but they also detect the land too and dont have to state where they are going on the beaches although they do have id cards. detecting in the sea or on the beach is no issue with the police or guardia civil in murcia ,alicante or castellon but as you say as soon as you cross into andalucia then they can take your detector if you dont have a permit. the permits are very easy to get also , go in and get the form , fill it out and take it in with your passport and bobs your uncle. also out of all of us that do this summer and winter , none of us have had our tyres slashed.

Hi seanoo.
Why not put snowbird and his people out of his misery and tell everybody about the gold coin find ÂŁ460,000.00
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/5130666.stm

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Hello Seanoo,when you say underwater detecting do you mean wading about knee high in water ?

Vlad the curious
hi vlad, i wear a drysuit and go out as far as my neck!! sometimes i use a wetsuit and snorkel over shallow reefs too , but generally deep wading

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 41
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Must be where they go as My friend has had 4 done on 2 occasions up towards Bolnuevo & the Spaniard has suffered in loads of places.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
hi vlad, i wear a drysuit and go out as far as my neck!! sometimes i use a wetsuit and snorkel over shallow reefs too , but generally deep wading

If deep wading how do you retrieve your bounty ?
Are your finds usually buried relatively shallow.

Vlad

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just out of interest, what if you're on public land in the UK, say Dartmoor, Exmoor?
I know I'll have read up on all of this & I'm really hoping Harry will be happy to stick to Paignton beach! At least digging in sand is easy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back