Rally Chat Messing about on the river @Shrewsbury (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Depending on dates

Yes
Yes x2 sit-on-kayaks
Yes

August onwards would be best for us :)

We would need hook up.

Is there a local canoe / kayak club who could give advice on ingress and egress to the river? There was an article on canoeing The Severn in one of the canoe magazines a while back but I no longer have the magazine....... Will see what I can find.

Last edited:

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
a definite possibly from me, no canoe but do have a life jacket and possibly a spare, if it becomes a yes would need a hook up - or could join just for a day, only an hour away

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And Shrewsbury is lovely:)
Loads of places to eat & drink, lots of independant shops, interesting buildings & history. Lots of nooks & crannies to explore:)

@funflair would the town walk/guide be something that might be possible too;)
Hey Debs you know more about it than I do, the town walk is supposed to be very good though.

Let's chuck it all in the pot and see what comes out.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Depending on dates

Yes
Yes x2 sit-on-kayaks
Yes

August onwards would be best for us :)

We would need hook up.

Is there a local canoe / kayak club who could give advice on ingress and egress to the river? There was an article on canoeing The Severn in one of the canoe magazines a while back but I no longer have the magazine....... Will see what I can find.
We could launch at the showground, they have a slipway that the rowing club use but also a nice "beach" very close to where we could camp.

There are local canoe business's that could offer trip fron A to B but I would need to check prices and details.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sounds fun!
  1. Yes depending on dates as I've just booked our 2 holidays abroad for this year!
  2. Yes - 2 x Gumotex Twist single inflatables, life jackets, paddles etc (proper inflatables not paddling pool material ones!)
  3. Yes - so long as not tooooooo big/heavy as being inflatables they do have a size/weight limit!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@funflair you'd also need to find out whether we'd be legally allowed on the water if we don't have a waterways (BCU) licence.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hey Debs you know more about it than I do, the town walk is supposed to be very good though.

Let's chuck it all in the pot and see what comes out.

Martin
Just trying to drum up as much interest as poss ;)

Shrewsbury just wasn't like what I expected and being as the site is within walking distrance of town it gives folks a nice opportunity to explore:)

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
@Debs how wheelchair friendly woudl you say shrewsbury is? Only ever been there to meetings

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@funflair you'd also need to find out whether we'd be legally allowed on the water if we don't have a waterways (BCU) licence.

I think the Severn is a right of way / right of navigation.

Martin and I are SCU members, there are some reciprocal agreements in place....

Okay, just found this:

"In almost all cases you can paddle legally on tidal waters, though you may need to pay harbour dues; you can paddle on common law navigations such as the Wye below Hay-on-Wye and the Severn below Pool Quay near Welshpool, though a licence is needed below Stourport."

(taken from "CanoeDayOut")

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just trying to drum up as much interest as poss ;)

Shrewsbury just wasn't like what I expected and being as the site is within walking distrance of town it gives folks a nice opportunity to explore:)
And 'spoons! Did I mention that already?!!;)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for asking. Without tempting providence, I hope I'm now on the home straight. It's taken a long time to throw off though.
Good news , it has been a bad bug for many. So glad you are on the mend ,shame about Shrewsbury NYE meet it sounded like a good one ! So let's hope for the summer!!

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Navigable but not tidal
I think the Severn is a right of way / right of navigation.

Martin and I are SCU members, there are some reciprocal agreements in place....

Okay, just found this:

"In almost all cases you can paddle legally on tidal waters, though you may need to pay harbour dues; you can paddle on common law navigations such as the Wye below Hay-on-Wye and the Severn below Pool Quay near Welshpool, though a licence is needed below Stourport."

(taken from "CanoeDayOut")
Thanks @Puddleduck I was just about to quote that http://www.canoedaysout.com/Licence.htm oh I have now.

Martin (yes another one)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just caught up with the thread, anything with the Flower Show and I would definitely be interested, haven't messed around on the river for a long time but guess I'm up to watching . :)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You dont really need to worry about large boats on the Shropshire stretch of the severn, the only regular user is the Sabrina which uses a very small stretch between the welsh and english bridges and travels at a glacial pace.

The other hazard is the weir at the south side of the town. Im not aware of any serious rapids, and doubt (hope)that deep water wouldnt be a problem in August I would be more worried about shallows.

I have paddled the area around the showground without a problem (albeit the fishermen can be a bit territorial) and there is an access ramp at the showground so getting in and out would be easy enough.

Probably the easiest stretch to use for a proper trip would be to get taken to launch upstream, but you need minibus and trailer for that.

Just a note on the timing - the whole town is very busy on the Friday Saturday of the Flower show weekend (11th-13th August) so probably best to think of either before or after.

Jon

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Debs how wheelchair friendly woudl you say shrewsbury is? Only ever been there to meetings
Morning - guessing you have a powered chair jnn? We didn't explore that much so I'm sure others could give more detailed info. I have had experience of the nightmare of accessing places with my Pa.

There is a footpath into town but that has steps so you'd need to go the way that you'd driven in - it's not a lot longer tbh but the 1st part (approx 100m) doesn't have a footpath & is a bit narrow but good visibility.

It's hilly although I guess along the waterfront wouldn't be a problem - didn't go far down there but I understand there are quite a few places to eat.

It was busy when we were there and if it is the flower show weekend will be more so. Walking with the dogs in town wasn't the easiest thing to do.

Parts of it are pedestrianised & there seemed to be at least 3 newish indoor shopping precinct type things where access is easy.

No Idea about the various museums and things.

I think you'd be able to get around depending on the range of your battery.

Anyone more local got anything to add?

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
thanks Debs, manual chair at the moment but likely going to be adding some power to it (I can walk but <10 meters)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You dont really need to worry about large boats on the Shropshire stretch of the severn, the only regular user is the Sabrina which uses a very small stretch between the welsh and english bridges and travels at a glacial pace.

The other hazard is the weir at the south side of the town. Im not aware of any serious rapids, and doubt (hope)that deep water wouldnt be a problem in August I would be more worried about shallows.

I have paddled the area around the showground without a problem (albeit the fishermen can be a bit territorial) and there is an access ramp at the showground so getting in and out would be easy enough.

Probably the easiest stretch to use for a proper trip would be to get taken to launch upstream, but you need minibus and trailer for that.

Just a note on the timing - the whole town is very busy on the Friday Saturday of the Flower show weekend (11th-13th August) so probably best to think of either before or after.

Jon
Morning Jon, I think the weir is OK if we shoot it at the left hand side;) NO NO we are not doing the weir don't panic.

I think we will end up with a mixed group of paddlers some may go off on their own up or down stream, others will want to borrow equipment and just have a go from the little beach which would be straight out the back of the camping field (the one that N+B used for the FS Jon) we would be reliant on the experienced paddlers giving up some of their time to help supervise the "come and try it" people.

If there is the demand we could possibly get commercial organisation to lay on a mini bus and trailer full of open canoes and go off and do a stretch of the river starting upstream of course.

Taken note of the Flower show weekend dates Jon and although yes it will be busy, there seems to be a lot of people who would want to come to the Flower show so possibly we could combine the two events along with a N+B gathering, it is the weekend before Malvern so lots of people could be heading towards the area anyway but not want to leave until mid week so people could do the flowers as well as a bit of canoeing in the week.

If it takes off I would be looking for some willing volunteers, I think @Debs want to do the walking tours of the town;)

Martin

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Am I the only one who hates Canadian Open Canoes with a vengeance? 'm not too keen on double kayaks either!

If I am going to fall in I'd rather only have myself to blame. I don't really know why I dislike Canadian style canoes, I have paddled them quite a bit and never felt comfortable in them.

I hope the dates will work for us - Martin is worried about how much time we will be away this year as we already have a very full diary. I thought he'd be pleased to get some paddling in but wasn't that enthusiastic.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Am I the only one who hates Canadian Open Canoes with a vengeance? 'm not too keen on double kayaks either!

If I am going to fall in I'd rather only have myself to blame. I don't really know why I dislike Canadian style canoes, I have paddled them quite a bit and never felt comfortable in them.

I hope the dates will work for us - Martin is worried about how much time we will be away this year as we already have a very full diary. I thought he'd be pleased to get some paddling in but wasn't that enthusiastic.

Yes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back