Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Nice post Simon I'm sure you'll generate some interest from members who are already Rvers or, who aspire to be.
Keith

Hi, Good book by the way, interesting read. I thought we had supplied you with the RV you purchased by the way, however it seems we did not when read fully. Still interesting and informative, we will be purchasing some more books from you soon to give away with the next RV's, good for the customer, good for business as well. Kindest regards, Simon @ www.mercuryarv.com

U

ukrv

Deleted User
I would be VERY wary buying a rear mudflap (or dirtguard as known in USA).

If you have a 2" tow receiver (and especially is using a drop bar) you MUST ensure the mudflap has a central cutaway - otherwise it will just get knocked on the receiver or drop bar, leaving nasty dents.

You will want the mudflap to be on a chain (just one link will do) so that it swings rather than being fixed firmly in place - the benefit of this is that if you go over curbs, drops in road surface or dodgy ferry access roads the flap will simply move out of the way.

If it is fixed, it has a tendency to either snap the bolt off or the rear of the heavy duty rubber will just scrape away - so much so that ours left the edges of the metal very sharp.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on another one.

Paul

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Stainless Steel Mudflap Kit

I would be VERY wary buying a rear mudflap (or dirtguard as known in USA).

If you have a 2" tow receiver (and especially is using a drop bar) you MUST ensure the mudflap has a central cutaway - otherwise it will just get knocked on the receiver or drop bar, leaving nasty dents.

You will want the mudflap to be on a chain (just one link will do) so that it swings rather than being fixed firmly in place - the benefit of this is that if you go over curbs, drops in road surface or dodgy ferry access roads the flap will simply move out of the way.

If it is fixed, it has a tendency to either snap the bolt off or the rear of the heavy duty rubber will just scrape away - so much so that ours left the edges of the metal very sharp.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on another one.

Paul

Good morning Paul,

Obviously I know you did not get your mudflap from us, ours come on a correct rubber flap which the trim is inset into, also as it is 12" deep it should clear the road surface, unless of course your rear springs are weak and allow the rear to drop. it would be normal if you have the rear receiver hitch to cut a small square from the rubber panel so that it fits over, but that is not too hard I am sure. As for mounting it on a chain, yes that is fine and can be done as well.

In mounting it on the vehicle, obviously each one is different, the location will depend upon what space you have. When we mount ours on our own sales vehicles, the mounting bar is normally welded to the receiver hitch in a couple of places, the rubber flap then screws through this and is clamped on with the finish bar, but again each application may be different. If a customer is unsure, we are more than willing to help them, or fit it if they are in the Kent area. So I accept your comments, but your flap trim is NOT one of ours and we did not fit it, as such I can only comment on what we manufacture and sell ourselves. One of the members on this site WinniebagoTony has ordered one from us, so lets see how he gets on first and if he likes it. I would finally comment that Electrolux were impressed enough to place an order, so they must have thought it was a worthwhile addition to their fleet? Kindest regards, Simon @ www.mercuryarv.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back