LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi,
I did a bit of googling, and if you are talking about the 6 speed box they had that in a 3 litre jobby back in 2000 as the following link from Commercial Motor says. They seem to have been about in slightly different forms before then, I found references to 1995.... hope that helps. Know all know nothing me, but at least it is an attempt at an answer! Jane Link Removed

Last edited:

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
mercedes sprintshift

so does mine drives really well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

carlandflo

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt(s)
Exp
Since 1973...
-------------------------------------------------------------

THAT'S COS THEY'RE C**P
Dave:thumb:

Had a bad experience have we????
Or been beaten to the last spot overlooking the sea by a 'quicker off the mark' Merc than your 'shoebox on wheels'.

Ours has performed faultlessly since new - power and torque in abundance.
Surprises the johnny come lateley's in their hatchbacks when we can out drag them from the lights...............

very satisfied.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
THAT'S COS THEY'RE C**P
Can you expand a bit on that Dave.
Soundbites are for politicians but although this is the 'fun' site we should not let 'facts' get in the way of a good story which you appear to have.
I am about to buy one of one so would realy appreciate some first hand experience chat on the subject.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Well, I am speaking from 1st hand experience and can say that apart from being unable to pull away in any gear bar 1st I wouldn't swap it for a manual or full auto from the same era.

Having checked Dave's info re his van, his would appear to be pre Sprintshift, so?:Blush:

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We love ours.:thumb: We fight over who's going to drive,:winky: but I normally let her win.....................:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
-------------------------------------------------------------

THAT'S COS THEY'RE C**P

Hi, all yes I did have a bad experience with an early sprintshift model .... BUT..... I've just been on a test drive today and changed my mind- to such an extent that I'm seriously thinking of buying!!!!!-It's an Autotrail Dakota 2002, and very nice. Will keep you informed.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Dave,

My friendly Merc. dealer told me that they dropped the 'Sprintshift' in 2006 and now use a 'torque converter' based autobox which is the same as the cars use and which the Data sheet describes as a ' fully automated electrohydraulic 5 speed transmission which transfers power to the wheels via a torque converter with integrated lock up clutch'

I took this to mean that it ia a traditional torque converter type gearbox with some additional refinements which they claim gives better mpg.

I was very interested to read that you've driven one which I won't be able to do for some months so thanks for the info.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If it's so good why don't they still offer it?

A friend has got a Hymer on a Merc with sprintshift and he is considering having a manual box put in it's place.

Gearbox failure en route from Portugal to UK. Was recovered to Pamplona where it was repaired leaving a big hole in his bank account.

When he next went to the Merc garage who service it the mechanic told him that the number of failures was why Merc no longer do Sprintshift.

When a manufacturer stops offering something it's for one of 2 reasons. The customers aren't buying it or it's flawed.

I could regret this but ........ I haven't had any problems with my Fiat...............yet:Doh:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Now That`s interesting and confirms something I read some years back but now cannot find!!. I drove a couple when doing all sorts of "Agency" driving 01 to 09, and thought they where OK. But one "paper products" company had both Sprint-shift and Manual. And the Sprint-shift`s where in the garage more often. However ALL the vans where regularly overloaded, because the "Warehouse supervisor" wanted them full. and the drivers (mostly young kids) didn`t care about checking their loads!. Only us "old hands", some like me with HGV licence and experience, would make them throw stuff off!! I`ve seen them on the "Bump Stops", with tyres looking like "Low Profiles" more than once!!.

I have also seen somewhere where the LATER Fiat gear boxes have issues too, possibly in the CC or CCC magazines.??

Pete

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Had a sprintshift equipped MH for 10 years with zero problems......

Worked well for me...(y)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
So is the consensus by the majority of Sprintshift owners replying to the question is they would buy another if it were available?

A third reason for discontinuing a motor part or assembly is it is costing the manufacturer too much to produce and reducing profit on the vehicle.

Also looking to buy a Mercedes 416 based MH with Sprintshift so an interested party. I thought I read somewhere that they were slightly ponderous in gear selection compared to a full automatic and secondly it was the hydraulic activating mechanism that caused problems for this system when it arose.

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
I've a sprint shift on my 2005 a class rapido absolutely love it a pleasure to drive with loads of power

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya the m/b sprint shift has a higher GTW than the automatic on mine by some 1100 kg so be careful if you are going to tow

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I had a s416 sprint shift and it was great to drive.

The hydraulic pump did let me down on the aire at Carcassonne, but I would not hesitate to have another.

Recovery2.jpg

The recovery!!!

:cooler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back