Free Member
Jul 13, 2011
Lymington
Funster No
MH
Old Autotrail
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi All....i want to buy a mercedes hymer and have been looking for months..I have seen a 1982 hymermobil 540 ,it's got 214000 miles on the clock.I have read that these vans do massive mileages...is there plenty left in this one? ,its got 12 months mot and they are asking 6k ..I reckon i could knock that down a tad,but advice from you more experienced motorhomers would be appreciated...Thanks

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome to the forums!

My mate just picked up 1993 Hymer a-class with 73000miles, albeit on a Fiat chassis for £6000. It was a trade in at a local garage.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but a 1982 set of wheels is OLD, whatever the make. There is a worldwide recession on and there are a lot of s/h vans to choose from.

Take your time before making any choice!:Smile:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The answer to your question is if its been serviced properly and oil changed at 5000 miles the older Merc engine is bomb proof. At 214000 its just getting going.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
unless it is in as new condition (at this age i do not think it will be) then the asking price is too high.

i have a 1998 American RV and at this age i would say it is OLD
I sold a Mercedes 2.3Ltf 1989 coach bulit in 2009 for £7000 it was in as new condition with loads of upgrades fitted to it

spend your money wisely

Upvote 0

bazP

Free Member
Aug 8, 2011
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
I am a newbie
Old Hymer

212k and £6k sounds a lot - suggeswt you wait until Dec/ Jan when there will be others about. Just paid £6500 for ny:winky: Hymer with 102k miles on it - my advice, dont rush

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just in case it is of interest... last year Wildman drew my attention to a Hymer 660 for sale on ebay...

..it had no MOT...

...the rear furniture had been removed (it was used to transport some stuff back from Spain)

...the electrics were all messed up... no lights, no charging etc etc...

...and it was up with no reserve.

Roger bid on my behalf up to my chosen limit of £2500 (I think) but it went for more than that... £2750 (I think)... presumably for spares...

These things are like gold dust...

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
When looking at older vans, think of the age of everything else as well. You need to know when body seals were replaced, damp issues, you need to know about the age and condition of hab equipment such as the cooker, the heating system....with that mileage, these things will be worn.

Assuming they are, and you can replace them yourself, labour free, then you will be able to sort it out for under 2k...is it worth spending that when it only cost 6k? or when the engine is higher mileage than you could find elsewhere. High mileage isn't a bad thing as such - engines like being used, but parts need to be researched and their availability. The HAB end has to be considered as parts may -or will- be obelete, and need to be replaced, which is never going to be cheap.

There are lots of other things you need to look at apart from the engine - so think wisely, and research all angles before making a decision.......even have a look at a motorhome auction, as you may find a newer one going for a song there, as dealers won't want them due to age!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back