Mercedes are so good that.........

Discussion in 'Mercedes' started by 2escapees, Jan 30, 2008.

1. 2escapees

2escapees Deleted User

You don't get any post on this forum. Our Mercedes 316 has done 117,000kms in 6 years and is excellent 27mpg and quite happy to run all day at 120 kmh. Lots of power on hills. Why would you ever buy anything else!

:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Cos they dont fit them in RV's:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  3. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hmmmm.

Wonder whether you could transplant one in one John.
    Oyyyyyyyyyy DAZZER.:shout:

4. Road Runner

and loose the 7500CC V8 burble:coolthumb: Nah:moon:

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I was always told that you pay a bit more if you want a Merc chassis, but that they are worth it. However these days it seems that the modern Fiat is doing pretty well with zillions now used as base vehicles that are just going on and on.

Modern vehicles, no matter what make, are just so much better these days, long guarantees, easy maintainence and lots of miles between services. For once it appears we are getting what we pay for.

6. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

It's the GUZZLE that goes with the burble that worries me John.:Eek!:

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ohh but they do John, to drive the genny
    :Laughing::Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  8. jacken

jacken Read Only Funster

We have a Merc on the 616 chassis with the 5 cylinder engine. Drives a dream and much quieter than our previous Fiat. The only niggle is, it is very high revving with the auto box. Doing something like 3000 revs at 60 mph.

ken

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I wish Merc did, I might be able to afford to run our genny then:Laughing:

10. Road Runner

only half as bad now on LPG:Wink::thumb:

Ask Ror what he think's about Merc's:Eek!:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  11. deepstar

deepstar Read Only Funster

deepstar

hi glad to hear your report on the mercedes 316
    ive just bought a burstner t star 680 on a mercede 316 manual gearbox
    must admit it goes like a bat out of hell up the hills
    hope mine will settle down and do 27 mpg
    youve Made my day
    rgds deepstar:Eeek:

:t

12. wurdsmiff

wurdsmiff Deleted User

I agree with you on that! We have just aquired a 316 Sprinter based Rapido with only 27k miles on the clock. Whilst the caravan part was a mess the merc bit is as sweet as a nut. Have fitted a turbo boost device as I have one on my T5 and had one on my T4 before.

With the recent problems with Fiat based vehicles I didn't even consider that option.

Whilst the yankee battlebusses trundle along the motorways with petrol tankers in tow I can wander along the highways and byeways in top gear sipping diesel! Lucky me (us). Eat your heart out guys
    :Laughing:

13. superk

superk Read Only Funster

Jim whilst it's true that most motorhomes are built on a Fiat chassis there may be economic reasons for this. If you ask the question another way you get a different answer:
    How many traders driving white vans thousands of miles each year and giving the vehicle a good thrashing buy a Fiat van? How many fleet managers select a Fiat. Remember the Fiat Ducato has had some problems - leaking and reverse judder. I didn't notice that many Fiat trade vans when we spent five months in Italy - Iveco and Mercedes seemed to dominate.

Yes I miss the RV burble - guess I could get a recording - but the Merc doesn't sound too bad and we did 28 mpg on our 7,000 mile trip and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to service and spare available anywhere in the world you might break down - but of course you won't - but the thought is there.

Love our Mercedes - does what it says it will.

:Smile:
    Keith

14. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Getting 27 M.P.G. now and again, but only when going at a pace my old 2 litre petrol Talbot could handle. :Sad: Great motor though, but 22-24 M.P.G. is more realistic if hurrying on, i.e. 70 M.P.H.+. :thumb:

15. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Oh but they do do an RV on a Merc chassis :Eeek: Winnie do the Aspect B+ class RV on the 3.0 V6 diesel engine and does around 25mpg.

However............. I have had 2 Merc Sprinter vans for my business over the last 5 years and im afraid to say I would NEVER buy another Merc as long as I live :Doh:

Yes they are fast and yes they look nice and yes they are comfy but I would trade all of that for a reliable van that doesnt keep breaking down for no other reason than the bloody computer keeps getting its 1s and 0s mixed up and costs a fortune to fix.

Thats why we now have a bloody big Iveco Daily :thumb: (best van in the Universe....ever!!!) and a couple of Vauxhall Vivaros :thumb:. The Vauxhalls have their moments but the Iveco has never given us a moments trouble in 4 years unlike the Mercs which were a bleeding nightmare which i will never repeat:Doh::cry:

I believe the older Mercs are bullet proof but the new Sprinters.......forget it:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

must admit I love my old merc but a new sprinter is too dependant on the computer which often goes wrong and is expencive to fix. Too many stories around of late but the older ones bombproof and good for 650,000 miles plus. One million miles is not unusual.

17. deepstar

deepstar Read Only Funster

merc or fiat !!!!!!!

hi
    fiats seem to be ok going forward as long as you do not have to reverse up a steep hill guarantees:ha ha ha ha hahttp

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Maybe Fiat are using Italian tank gearboxes, but got it mixed up ? .. five reverse and one forward ...juddering.. :Laughing::Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  19. superk

superk Read Only Funster

What Mike (& Judith) Annan - the orignal posters modestly didn't add was that their Rapido based Mercedes Sprinter has not only covered the miles and given the performance stated but has had some pretty tough challenges - taking them to 48 countries in Europe, North Africa and Asia. From Nordkapp, in the arctic circle, to Abu Simbel, south of the tropic of cancer in Egypt and to China via Greece, Turkey, Iran, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan , and home via Mongolia, Russia, Belarus, Poland and Germany.

A pretty good test of any machine - needless to say we're very happy with our Sprinter and having done Morocco hope to emulate some of their trips.

:Smile:
    Keith

20. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, Wordsmiff can you tell me about the "turbo boost device" you fitted and the benefits, please?
    Thanks, Dave:thumb: