Mercedes 508d cambelt?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by WESTERNSTAR1, Mar 19, 2010.

  1. WESTERNSTAR1

    WESTERNSTAR1 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2009
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    WEST SUSSEX
    HI.DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE MERCEDES 508D ENGINE(I THINK ITS AN OM314)
    HAS A CAMBELT OR CHAIN DRIVE?
    CHEERS DON.:BigGrin:
     
  2. Geo

    Geo Trader - Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    Messages:
    9,544
    Likes Received:
    5,596
    Location:
    Mansfield,Notts
    Chain generaly,but without a year and vehicle to check against its a guestimate:RollEyes:
    Geo
     
  3. WESTERNSTAR1

    WESTERNSTAR1 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2009
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    WEST SUSSEX
    Its a 1977 hymer.i would have thought chain but a friend insists its a cambelt.surely its to old to be a belt?
     
  4. Geo

    Geo Trader - Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    Messages:
    9,544
    Likes Received:
    5,596
    Location:
    Mansfield,Notts
    sorry for being awkward Hymer is not the vehicle:RollEyes: what merc is it based on:thumb:
     
  5. WESTERNSTAR1

    WESTERNSTAR1 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2009
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    WEST SUSSEX
    Its a 1977 mercedes 508d.
    Twin rear wheel chassis.
     
  6. JJ

    JJ Funster

    Joined:
    May 1, 2008
    Messages:
    14,563
    Likes Received:
    25,744
    Location:
    Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
    95% certain it is a chain driven camshaft etc.

    JJ
     
  7. rickscott

    rickscott Funster

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2009
    Messages:
    39
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Ellon, Aberdeenland
    If jj is 95%, then I'll go the other 5%.

    Current merc sprinters still use chains, ain't seen a merc commercial that has a belt yet.
     
Loading...

Share This Page