LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Only things I would say about the Merc auto box is the continual hunting for gears at lower speeds. I have a C350, a great car, more than enough power but it does jump a little. I don't know if the MH box is the same. It's not a major problem for me, I don't care but others may think it is a big issue that is why I am mentioning it.
It does, it's all in the throttle control, slip it into manual or whatever is on the newer ones, especially on hills, and drive like it was an old lorry, and you will stop that. I know what I mean anyway!:)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have ordered my MH (3650kg) with the comfortmatic box upgraded to 150BHP, hope it's going to be fine. I intend to park in my drive which will require slow manoeuvring in a tight space. I hope it will be fine ?? Apologies if this is hijacking the thread.
I have the same engine/gearbox & the same problem if I need to take it round the back of the house, with the additional complication of a bit of a slope.

It is more difficult to do fine control than with either a manual clutch or a conventional torque converter automatic, but it's not too bad on the flat bits. Once you get a bit of a slope as well, it's easy to overheat the clutch. In those circumstances you need quite a few revs on before it starts to move at all & then it's off like a racehorse unless you control it with the brake. If you ease off on the throttle the clutch disengages & you are going nowhere - or straight back down the slope again! The automatic clutch just doesn't have the control finesse that is achievable with a manual clutch, so you have to balance it against the brake, as you would in a full auto.

Balancing a slipping clutch with the brake causes every mechanical sympathy nerve in your body to start screaming & it's not long before the clutch overheat warning start screaming at you too, but if you want inch perfect manoeuvring, backwards up a slope with an angled entrance into an alleyway only a couple of inches wider than the van, you don't have a lot of choice. They've now installed one of those raised bus stop kerbs right opposite the entrance too, reducing the effective road width. Can't complain, as a wheelchair using family, we have to applaud better access to public transport.

The good news is that it does get a bit easier with practice!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I have the same engine/gearbox & the same problem if I need to take it round the back of the house, with the additional complication of a bit of a slope.

It is more difficult to do fine control than with either a manual clutch or a conventional torque converter automatic, but it's not too bad on the flat bits. Once you get a bit of a slope as well, it's easy to overheat the clutch. In those circumstances you need quite a few revs on before it starts to move at all & then it's off like a racehorse unless you control it with the brake. If you ease off on the throttle the clutch disengages & you are going nowhere - or straight back down the slope again! The automatic clutch just doesn't have the control finesse that is achievable with a manual clutch, so you have to balance it against the brake, as you would in a full auto.

Balancing a slipping clutch with the brake causes every mechanical sympathy nerve in your body to start screaming & it's not long before the clutch overheat warning start screaming at you too, but if you want inch perfect manoeuvring, backwards up a slope with an angled entrance into an alleyway only a couple of inches wider than the van, you don't have a lot of choice. They've now installed one of those raised bus stop kerbs right opposite the entrance too, reducing the effective road width. Can't complain, as a wheelchair using family, we have to applaud better access to public transport.

The good news is that it does get a bit easier with practice!

I don't have a slope, only the turned kerb at the drive entrance which is nothing really. Will need to reverse in then turn to straighten up. A couple of shunts back and forth then I will be in position (hopefully)

This will probably push BD towards the Merc (y)

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Hi Dave another thing to consider is that mercs new sprinter is euro 6 and the fiat is euro 5 . This will be a real advantage when you come to sell it in years to come, and also a lot of European cities will not allow vehicles in unless they are compliant in the future. So long term it will certainly will be a bonus. Another thing to consider like makems said that the clutch overheat light comes on in awkward manouvering situations. This is a common fault on a lot of fiats on the heavy chassis. A friend of mine is on his second top end motorhome £125 grand and he is still having problems with his and the manufacturer has said they will build him another van but he cant have a auto box fitted. I will give you the full story when I see you. Good luck with your decision

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back