memory stick/pen help. (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have an emailed file i need to load onto a stick but not sure just how big a stick or quality i need.
I dont want to spend a lot as explained below.

The file is a powerpoint slideshow and properties say its approx 60mb.
The file is in PPL format.

Nothing else will be loaded onto the stick, except possibly as below......ever.........so it need not be too large

Next question.....is it possible to add extra photos to the file.....and if so, how.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
You can get a 4gb stick for coppers John.
That will be more than you need a gb is 1024MB!!!
I think you will need powerpoint to add photos to it. If you have it it is a doddle!!! :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
any stick above 128mb would be absolutely fine. these are now pretty rare though and its more likely you wont find one below 1gb for sale

adding to the file would depend if the powerpoint file has been locked or not. if its not locked, you open it in powerpoint, make any alterations like adding pictures and save the new version to the thumb drive. assuming you have a larger stick than needed, you could save each new version on the drive and preserve the original

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I have an emailed file i need to load onto a stick but not sure just how big a stick or quality i need.
I dont want to spend a lot as explained below.

The file is a powerpoint slideshow and properties say its approx 60mb.
The file is in PPL format.

Nothing else will be loaded onto the stick, except possibly as below......ever.........so it need not be too large

Next question.....is it possible to add extra photos to the file.....and if so, how.

Do you mean photos as a file, or how do u add photos to a powerpoint presentation?

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The file is so small why not just send it as an email attachment? Rather than buy a stick

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can get a 4gb stick for coppers John.
That will be more than you need a gb is 1024MB!!!
I think you will need powerpoint to add photos to it. If you have it it is a doddle!!! :thumb:

thanks Ken, i had to download powerpoint just to open and run the slideshow so any advice/instructions for adding pictures to the file would be appreciated.

The slideshow is pics of my recently deceased bro in law who died at his home in Sydney, Australia and as we couldnt make the funeral we are having a kind of 'family and friends' memorial service next wednesday.

The file was put together by one of his sons for the funeral proper and obviously we will also use that but Shirls mother has now come out the woodwork with another big stack of photos which need sorting and adding.

We dont want two shows running at the same time so need to add these too.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The file is so small why not just send it as an email attachment? Rather than buy a stick

that is an option but the bloke in charge of presenting the slideshow wont be available until the day and as its a friend of a friend we have no contact details to email.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You will need a full copy of power point - I think you might find that the version you downloaded is the power point player, which will not let you edit the file to add more pictures. Power point is a purchase you would have to make - it comes as part of the Microsoft office suite. Not cheap.

I have recently started using open office. It is the same as Microsoft office but it is free of charge. It is very functional and has a program called Open Office Impress which is the same as Microsoft's Powerpoint. It can be used to edit the slide show and add new pictures, and it won't cost you a penny.

I find it has a sightly more user friendly interface than Power point, and is therefore easier to use without any previous experience. There are a lot of buttons and labels on the screen when you open it, but don't let that bamboosal you! lol Take a few minutes to look at it all and find your way around and you will be up and running in no time.

The only thing you need to remember is when you save it change the drop down list for 'type' to Microsoft Powerpoint .ppt' so that the guy you are giving it to will be able to read it with his copy of powerpoint, or the powerpoint reader.

Any memory stick will work for you. You can get a 4 or 8 Gig stick for £5 to £8. That will work perfectly for you. The technology is so advanced now they just don't sell anything smaller any more.

Shout me if you needany more help! :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thanks, thats another option but can a dvd be set in a loop ?

The show will need to be continuous while the 'wake' is in progress.
yes you can set most DVD players or any computer to loop the slideshow on a DVD. bonus is you could if you wanted burn copies of the DVD for other family members that would like to have one for their memories. from bitter experience I can say a DVD copy will be more secure than a thumb drive. i have a couple of older thumb drives that are full of pictures but the electronics have failed so you cant access them anymore

as above the free programs in open office will let you access and adjust your powerpoint presentation http://www.openoffice.org/download/

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks oddsocks.....the version i downloaded was a free version so probably is just a player.

Might just buy a pinboard and stick all the extra pics on that.....:roflmto:

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
thanks, thats another option but can a dvd be set in a loop ?

The show will need to be continuous while the 'wake' is in progress.

the answer is yes.

You can time each slide individually with music if you wish then it will just return to start and go again

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My Memory.co.uk have good deals on sticks as well as the usual suspects PC World and Staples.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Have you thought about using an SD card? If you have an SD card you use for a camera there are ways to use that. Save buying a stick if you won't use it again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back