LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, we are going to replace the mattress in our Startrail - very uncomfortable - and wondered if anyone had bought a mattress from Memory Foam Warehouse in Leeds?

They have a special cut down service for motorhomes/boats etc and certainly seem to know what they are doing.

Their prices are very competitive but we are not sure whether to buy a memory foam mattress or a 'Coolmax'. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ginny and Mike

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've had a Raskelf for 5 years its in its third van one of the best accesories we ever bought more comfortable than our house bed. Used it in temperatures from minus 10 to over a hundred never any problems, apparently the cheaper ones overheat in hot temps.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would have to agree with Rory, there is so much inferior foam out there. The foam that Raskelf use is superb in all temperatures, its normally a little more pricey, but I feel its well worth it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
We've had a Raskelf for 5 years its in its third van one of the best accesories we ever bought more comfortable than our house bed. Used it in temperatures from minus 10 to over a hundred never any problems, apparently the cheaper ones overheat in hot temps.:thumb:

Hmm this is interesting. I bought a memory foam mattress off ebay..paid a reasonable price for it. It is very comfortable and has done the job in terms of making sure I dont feel the wooden slats, like I did just with motorhome supplied mattress.

I bought it coming up the cold weather and I have noticed that it does seem to retain my body heat and it can keep very warm..this worries me a bit as in summer, if it does the same, I will probably be cooking in my sleep...

So can I ask if the Raskelf brand does not give off any heat at all??

-

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
If you do have a heat problem, a sheepskin matress liner/topper allows air to circulate between you and the memory matress leaving you more comfortable.

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
If you do have a heat problem, a sheepskin matress liner/topper allows air to circulate between you and the memory matress leaving you more comfortable.

Hmm worth a try, also sounds a bit kinky as well, "sheepskin"... if it works with the misses ill let you know:winky: and if it keeps me cool as well.....

-

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Memory foam warehouse

Hi, paid a fortune for the Raskelf, but bought a double memory foam, 2 inches thich for I think it was £50 from a small trader at a show.
Brought both mattresses into the house to cut it, and its a perfect fit.

Only problem, its warm in winter, but I have heard can be too hot in summer:Doh:

Good luck, S

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Pure memory foam will get hot. Only way to get around this is to use the ones that have sprung air pockets between - these expel heat and the matress is much cooler.

We have the dunlopillow ones in the house, which are sprung air pockets, foam one side, other bed is sprung air pockets foam both sides. You will have to turn them over periodically and turn them about to keep the shape.

Can't sleep on a sprung mattress anymore!

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Hmm this is interesting. I bought a memory foam mattress off ebay..paid a reasonable price for it. It is very comfortable and has done the job in terms of making sure I dont feel the wooden slats, like I did just with motorhome supplied mattress.

I bought it coming up the cold weather and I have noticed that it does seem to retain my body heat and it can keep very warm..this worries me a bit as in summer, if it does the same, I will probably be cooking in my sleep...

So can I ask if the Raskelf brand does not give off any heat at all??

-

We have a Raskelf and find it very comfortable but yes it does keep you warm. :winky:

OK in winter and with changing to a light duvet in summer was okay then.

Gill

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
As the others have said buy the very best, I brought a £200 memory foam mattress for our bed in doors and after about 4 months the room became damp and the bed felt damp. We then went out and brought a new bed and mattress and gave the foam mattress away. No more damp feeling in the room or bed :Smile: Assume this was inferior foam.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
Hi, paid a fortune for the Raskelf, but bought a double memory foam, 2 inches thich for I think it was £50 from a small trader at a show.
Brought both mattresses into the house to cut it, and its a perfect fit.

Only problem, its warm in winter, but I have heard can be too hot in summer:Doh:

Good luck, S

it was the stall selling sunglasses at newark that you and i bought one sue .
well worth the money very warm in winter .best £50 we spent at show for a quality 2 in topper .

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
One thing to remember is that with sheepskin, you don't have to worry about minor cuts and abrasions.

It's quite simple - sheepskin safely graze. Bach even set it to music as one of the first jingles.

Not a lot of people knew that.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hmm worth a try, also sounds a bit kinky as well, "sheepskin"... if it works with the misses ill let you know:winky: and if it keeps me cool as well.....
-

Hi,

We bought a massaging foam mattress from Tenerife over 10 years ago! There is kinky for you!

It has a sheepskin type topping and we have never had a problem with it becoming hot and it is still good as new after all this time. Included in the deal was another sheepskin mattress cover which will be just right for the motorhome.

Ginny and Mike

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
They made a size to order for us

We have a Raskelf and find it very comfortable but yes it does keep you warm. :winky:

OK in winter and with changing to a light duvet in summer was okay then.

Gill

We have a 2" thick by 36" wide and the duvalay is made to this size, we have both winter and summer weight duvet ... We each use on of the double beds on the RV and this bigger ones work well... Not cheap and we ordered a spare set of covers last season. Makes the RV bedseven more comfortable... We use a topper in the house as well, buti thinkthe Raskelf is better.

Bob:thumb:

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Mattress Foam

Sorry to be a bit thick :Blush:,do you put the new 2" foam on top of lats then put mattresses back on top? or do they replace Mattress currently fitted altogether.

Alan

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Memory foam

Hi, to be honest, I'm not sure, but I have put mine directly on top of the existing matress.

Be interesting to hear what others have done.

S

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
Hi Teasy
We also ditched our mattress in the Startrail a couple of years ago, we didn't find it uncomfortable but just very difficult to make up - it was such a tight fit that it was near impossible to get a mattress protector & sheet on without the two of us tackling it!
I have looked back on my emails to see where we bought it, but unfortunately I must have deleted it, I remember it was a good price - from memory about £140 + shipping, BUt and this was the problem buying mail order; it was meant to come with a zip off washable cover which it did not, and also they did not cut it precisely it was about 3" over over measurement (which we gave as 4'3" - in other words they cut the cut-off ok but not the actual width which is 4'6", a standard double), however it does fit ok, is extremely comfortable and the shape of the bed holds it in nicely in place; and because it is memory foam it is bendable to put the bedding on easily - however, if we had lived in the UK we would have taken it back to rectify, but as we are on a rock and were not going to England until the following year we decided to live with it, so that is just something to look out for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back