Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
After a week sleeping in a real bed in a real house I've realised how bloomin uncomfortable my fixed bed is in the van. If I'm going to splash out on a memory foam mattress topper what's the best thickness to go for? I'm guessing 1" would be useless but I've found a place near Leeds that does up to 4" thickness - do I go for that or will I get away with something thinner considering that I live in my van :whatthe:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I would suggest that you go for the best you can afford. ours were 1inch and were OK but would think thicker is better.

We had some cheap ones and they make you extremely hot so we have now got rid of ours and are actually going down the route of sheepskin mattress toppers now.

Hope you find what you are looking for

Cheers
Gary and Cathy

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I have 2 " thickness and find that that works fine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We have a 1" thick mattress cover, it is an improvement but thicker would have been better.

Doug...

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
We have a sprung interior mattress on the fixed rear bed in our Hobby. Whether it was fitted as standard or as an option, I don't know (it was in when we bought it), and I can honestly say that I prefer sleeping in the van to my own bed.

It is warm in the winter, and cool in the summer, and very, very comfortable. I have no idea how much one would cost to buy, but it might be worth looking at if you really find yours uncomfortable.

Good luck.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We have one in our van - don't know how thick it is but it's VERY comfortable!:thumb::thumb:
We bought it in Argos a few years ago - can't fault it!:thumb::thumb:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We bought a 4" topper a few years ago for our caravan. It was far too thick. I couldn't turn over - felt like a marooned whale. :roflmto:
When we got the MH we bought a 2" covered topper from ebay. It's great. Without the cover they can be a bit awkward to put the bottom sheet on but this makes it much easier and you can remove it and wash it.
- I would recommend the 2". Deep enough for comfort and easily managed.
I would also recommend a good mattress. The one in our MH is much better quality than the one we had in the caravan and I sleep so much better.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We bought a cheap memory foam topper, from Argos i think, but it was not very comfy and it generated heat something terrible. Then on recommendation we paid £200 for a double Raskelf 2inch Topper, the difference was amazing, you get a superb nights sleep with it, it doesn't get hot, we ended buying another for the house.

There is a lot of inferior 'copycat' foam out there that is of very poor quality, if you go Raskelf you won't be disappointed. http://www.raskelf.com/

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Just made the single bed at the back into a double and have purchased a 20 cm memory foam mattress with a quilted zipped cover. 460 euroes but what a change. We find it fabulous after sleeping on 2" of foam cushions for the last 7 years up in the overhead bed ! Saved me having to change the "bus" , we now have a very comfortable motorhome.Buy the thickness you can afford and enjoy:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi we also have 2 ins toppers-The maximum thickness recommended is 3 ins.Most mattresses above this thickness are made up of normal foam with 2 or 3 ins of memory glued to it.Be careful when buying that you get, say 2 ins MF as lots around with 1 ins MF attached to 1 ins normal :Eeek:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have a sprung interior mattress on the fixed rear bed in our Hobby.

I agree.. can't beat a proper pocket sprung mattress.. we invested in a VI Sprung Mattress (Google it) for our RV and it was heaven .. I am led to believe it's the one the Queen sleeps on ... :winky: ....... so,

you live in your van, you have a FIXED bed, why not treat yourself buy a proper mattress rather than using a sticking plaster solution... ?

Not a cheap solution, but one you won't be revisiting in a few years time.. my maxim is ... do it right, .... you do it once ..

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
After Jim recommended these to us we bought the 2" Raskelf rollaway toppers ...the great thing about these is that they also have zippered sheets to fitted on them.... so easy , definitely worth the extra money

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
After Jim recommended these to us we bought the 2" Raskelf rollaway toppers ...the great thing about these is that they also have zippered sheets to fitted on them.... so easy , definitely worth the extra money

I agree wiith all, a briilliant product, some would say pricey - but you gets what you pays for (and I am rubbish at sewing).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back