Memory Foam Mattress Toppers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ninjayorkies, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

After a week sleeping in a real bed in a real house I've realised how bloomin uncomfortable my fixed bed is in the van. If I'm going to splash out on a memory foam mattress topper what's the best thickness to go for? I'm guessing 1" would be useless but I've found a place near Leeds that does up to 4" thickness - do I go for that or will I get away with something thinner considering that I live in my van :Eek!:

2. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

I would suggest that you go for the best you can afford. ours were 1inch and were OK but would think thicker is better.

We had some cheap ones and they make you extremely hot so we have now got rid of ours and are actually going down the route of sheepskin mattress toppers now.

Hope you find what you are looking for

Cheers
    Gary and Cathy

3. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

I have 2 " thickness and find that that works fine

4. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

We have a 1" thick mattress cover, it is an improvement but thicker would have been better.

Doug...

5. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

We have a sprung interior mattress on the fixed rear bed in our Hobby. Whether it was fitted as standard or as an option, I don't know (it was in when we bought it), and I can honestly say that I prefer sleeping in the van to my own bed.

It is warm in the winter, and cool in the summer, and very, very comfortable. I have no idea how much one would cost to buy, but it might be worth looking at if you really find yours uncomfortable.

Good luck.

6. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

We have one in our van - don't know how thick it is but it's VERY comfortable!:thumb::thumb:
    We bought it in Argos a few years ago - can't fault it!:thumb::thumb:

7. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We bought a 4" topper a few years ago for our caravan. It was far too thick. I couldn't turn over - felt like a marooned whale. :Laughing:
    When we got the MH we bought a 2" covered topper from ebay. It's great. Without the cover they can be a bit awkward to put the bottom sheet on but this makes it much easier and you can remove it and wash it.
    - I would recommend the 2". Deep enough for comfort and easily managed.
    I would also recommend a good mattress. The one in our MH is much better quality than the one we had in the caravan and I sleep so much better.

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We bought a cheap memory foam topper, from Argos i think, but it was not very comfy and it generated heat something terrible. Then on recommendation we paid £200 for a double Raskelf 2inch Topper, the difference was amazing, you get a superb nights sleep with it, it doesn't get hot, we ended buying another for the house.

There is a lot of inferior 'copycat' foam out there that is of very poor quality, if you go Raskelf you won't be disappointed. http://www.raskelf.com/

9. david and ann

david and ann Read Only Funster

Just made the single bed at the back into a double and have purchased a 20 cm memory foam mattress with a quilted zipped cover. 460 euroes but what a change. We find it fabulous after sleeping on 2" of foam cushions for the last 7 years up in the overhead bed ! Saved me having to change the "bus" , we now have a very comfortable motorhome.Buy the thickness you can afford and enjoy:Smile:

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi we also have 2 ins toppers-The maximum thickness recommended is 3 ins.Most mattresses above this thickness are made up of normal foam with 2 or 3 ins of memory glued to it.Be careful when buying that you get, say 2 ins MF as lots around with 1 ins MF attached to 1 ins normal :Eeek:
    terry

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I agree.. can't beat a proper pocket sprung mattress.. we invested in a VI Sprung Mattress (Google it) for our RV and it was heaven .. I am led to believe it's the one the Queen sleeps on ... :Wink: ....... so,

you live in your van, you have a FIXED bed, why not treat yourself buy a proper mattress rather than using a sticking plaster solution... ?

Not a cheap solution, but one you won't be revisiting in a few years time.. my maxim is ... do it right, .... you do it once ..

12. champers

champers Funster Life Member

After Jim recommended these to us we bought the 2" Raskelf rollaway toppers ...the great thing about these is that they also have zippered sheets to fitted on them.... so easy , definitely worth the extra money

13. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

I agree wiith all, a briilliant product, some would say pricey - but you gets what you pays for (and I am rubbish at sewing).

14. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We've had a Raskelf for 5 years best extra we ever bought worth every penny. :thumb: