Memorable smells

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Jul 15, 2009.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It's funny how some smells associated with motorhoming stick with you long after the event , some pleasant, others not so.

Some nice ones

* Bacon frying in the morning, mmm just love it, even when it's the neighbours
    * BBQ ..
    * Sea air.. as you cross the channel and when you lie on the beach.
    * Fish market.. questionable. :Laughing:
    * Fresh coffee brewing
    * New mown grass

Some bad

* Diesel fumes, can't forget the smell of sulphur, especially on a hot still morning when I fire up George after a few days rest and it lingers all over the site .. :Blush:

* Dump points.. and black waste ..uggh .. never get used to it.

* Dog poo on flip flops, or worse, bare feet :Angry:

so what ones do you remember ?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Filling up with petrol prior to having the LPG conversion:Wink: used to make me weep:Doh:

3. scotjimland

Filling up with diesel still makes my eyes water :Laughing:

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The smell you love to hate.. The Spanish Sewer

It only stinks that way cos the weather is so good n hot:BigGrin: A small price to pay:Cool:

5. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

That very special stink of slipped clutch and flayed tyres as you finally get to the top of a precipitous detour on a Northern Moroccan road that the nice policeman assured us was a brand new 4-lane sealed tourist road.

Good or bad?? bit of both that time.

6. scotjimland

mmmm.. Morocco, lots there.. came/donkey dung stuck inside the wheel arch and public toilets .. :Eeek:

7. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

It's not something I smelt, rather what someone would smell.....

When the kids were young, we hired a small Audi at Garmisch in Germany, to go and visit the Neuschwanstein castle. We stopped on the way to buy lunch. Number one son pulled the ashtray out of the door panel, and stuffed a bratwurst, frites, curry sauce, and the contents of a milkshake into the orifice.

It was cold, and pouring with rain that day, so we didn't smell anything. I hate to think what it smelled like two days later when it was sunny and 30 degrees:Rofl1:

Did I tell the hire company?? Of course.............................................................. NOT!!

8. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Couple of years ago now.
    Small private campsite somewhere Cambletown.
    A beautifull sunny day, me and missus Zaskar walking down a sandy path from the campsite to the beach and we go through a tunnel of gorse in full bloom.
    The smell, or should that be aroma, was absolutely wonderfull, just like the smell of coconut in a Bounty Bar.
    Wonderful, never forget it.:BigGrin:

9. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

A smell [nay delicious aroma ] I can't resist is CORNISH PASTIES cooking Iv'e eaten loads of them whilst Mtorhoming and intend to eat many more, one of the things I miss more than any other whilst in Europe, don't say take some frozen ones with you that's sacrillage :thumb::thumb:

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Now I thought yours would have a Vindaloo Curry:Laughing:

11. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

My most memorable smell was many moons ago, I was working as a plant fitter for a Bonser forklift truck dealer and was given the job of traveling to a meat and glue processing factory and fitting a new clutch.

I had never been to this particular sight before and had a few trepidations. When I arrived at the factory I could smell it before I could see it, it was a hot summers day and as I stepped out of my van next to the forklift truck which had been left in the entrance of the forecourt me the full strength of the smell got me, I gagged, swallowed hard and went looking for some one to ask " was it possible to steam clean the truck before I started work.

I was told as a special concession they had already cleaned the truck in the expectation of my visit.

I found a phone and called my boss to ask " could the truck be transported some where else away from the smell", and was "told to get on with it"

Well I did as I was told, threw up a little when I removed the foot plate and seen the maggots crawling over the gear box and completed the job in record time.

After that I could not eat meat for well over a week and even now if the wife cooks any kind of meet stew I remember that day.

Doug...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

that heady aroma the morning after a night on the beer with the funsters:Blush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DJP

DJP Read Only Funster

Worst Cooked sprouts from a TIN. Not sure which was worse, smell or taste:Eeek:
    Best Fish and chips

14. alnshaz

alnshaz Read Only Funster

:cry:

well there was the time when i ate a vindaloo after a night out and then proceeded to finish it off with a jar of pickled eggs for a bet................

the wife was not impressed...:Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

yer dog doesnt look best pleased either

[​IMG]

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. Frankia

Frankia Read Only Funster

That's 'cos he blamed it on the dog!:Rofl1:

17. gazznsam

gazznsam Read Only Funster

weird one here...

most memorable nice smell... the smell of Branden the rats fur, he smelled like butter keks, a german butter biscuit, it's so memorable as he was the rattie we got in brandenburg and only lived 4 months, so when ever we smell butter biscuits we think of him.

worst smell, has to be overheating brake linings, usually from following some twonk down a steep hill who dosent know what engine braking is,