Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Learned members views please:
friend has an Elddis Riva Gold abt 2 years old ( new to him) put blown air heating on electric setting 3(Highest setting) - came back to MH 60 minutes later to melting plastic smell - vent grill cover on nearest outlet to heater had melted. Dealer says heating tubing run to outlet too short so too much heat reaching the outlet........has never been altered since new and we can't find any similar instances reported so think dealer winging it? Any views on this gratefully received, thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Inferior quality vent

You will get more heat from a good hair drier....and I doubt very much that would melt the plastic vent, the hair drier or attached nozzles dont melt do they.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
seems unlikely the unit hasn't been used in two years.. but possible I guess.. is there any chance something was blocking air from escaping the unit.. we often get hot smells when the bed is up and stuff has been shoved underneath because the vents get blocked off a bit..

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Were the other vents open? If they were closed potentially enough heat could go through one vent to melt it, I seem to recall an instruction in the manual about never shutting a vent off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can't see it happening in normal use, the electric element is only 1.8/2 kW, when running on gas the bigger combi is 6 kW using the same vent. Not unknown for manufacturers to install combi's with too shorter pipe runs causing overheating, but I wouldn't expect any problems with the lower power on electric.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
My immediate thoughts it shouldn't happen under any circumstances.
Word case sinero. Heater overheating because of a restricted air supply and all other discharge vents shut... you would still expect heater to trip out on overheat before causing damage...
Fact remains it happened so I'd be having it looked at to see if the heater high temp cut out is defective...
Ta Andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back