Melted heater vent

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by MuddyPuddle, Dec 13, 2015.

1. MuddyPuddle

MuddyPuddle Funster

Learned members views please:
    friend has an Elddis Riva Gold abt 2 years old ( new to him) put blown air heating on electric setting 3(Highest setting) - came back to MH 60 minutes later to melting plastic smell - vent grill cover on nearest outlet to heater had melted. Dealer says heating tubing run to outlet too short so too much heat reaching the outlet........has never been altered since new and we can't find any similar instances reported so think dealer winging it? Any views on this gratefully received, thanks.

2. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Sorry

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Inferior quality vent

You will get more heat from a good hair drier....and I doubt very much that would melt the plastic vent, the hair drier or attached nozzles dont melt do they.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

seems unlikely the unit hasn't been used in two years.. but possible I guess.. is there any chance something was blocking air from escaping the unit.. we often get hot smells when the bed is up and stuff has been shoved underneath because the vents get blocked off a bit..

5. WillH

WillH Funster

Were the other vents open? If they were closed potentially enough heat could go through one vent to melt it, I seem to recall an instruction in the manual about never shutting a vent off.

6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Can't see it happening in normal use, the electric element is only 1.8/2 kW, when running on gas the bigger combi is 6 kW using the same vent. Not unknown for manufacturers to install combi's with too shorter pipe runs causing overheating, but I wouldn't expect any problems with the lower power on electric.

7. andy63

andy63 Funster

My immediate thoughts it shouldn't happen under any circumstances.
    Word case sinero. Heater overheating because of a restricted air supply and all other discharge vents shut... you would still expect heater to trip out on overheat before causing damage...
    Fact remains it happened so I'd be having it looked at to see if the heater high temp cut out is defective...
    Ta Andy.